Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2020, 06:12 PM   #1

Leave a log

Does anyone leave a log in the fire pit for the next traveler? I dunno when/why I picked up the habit. Is that a thing? If I’m out then I’m not going to buy a bundle to leave one on check out morning but if there’s a couple left It’s just good karma(I’m Irish-very superstitious)
doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
Site Team

That is a very good Idea. I think that I am going to start doing that. Heck, I still have wood in the bed of my Ram from last June I believe. So, I'm sure that I could spare some.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:28 PM   #3
Site Team

I usually scavenge wood from vacated sites when we are out is state parks and usually leave some there for the next guy. I love a good dry oak fire and always carry enough for at least one fire.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:29 PM   #4

Before I leave my site, I offer my leftover firewood to a camping neighbor that is staying.

Much too often I see other campers grab leftover firewood like vultures as soon as someone leaves their site.

I do make sure the fire ring is clean and tidy, usually better than I found it. A life long lesson from being a boy scout.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:32 PM   #5
Site Team

I'm that vulture!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #6

I'm a vulture too!

If I have any left, I might leave it, or bring it home, for the next campout. It depends on where we are at and where we are going, as we have different wood transportation rules, depending on where you are at within the state.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:55 PM   #7

Just 1 chunk. I dunno. Once in a while I set up n there’s a log in the pit left. Feels like a tribal/camper community thing. It’s nice
doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:03 PM   #8

I have a backyard fire pit so no.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:45 PM   #9

I usually camp in the national forests, usually boondocking, firewood is plentiful, but is in the form of downed trees, I always have my chainsaw in my truck box, so first thing we do is go hunting for firewood, usually I cut plenty and leave enough for the next guy to get a fire going, I also usually have plenty to take home with me, my chainsaw makes fast work of gaining plenty of wood.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:54 PM   #10

I bring what wood I burn (hardwood) that was cut and split by me. If I only have a couple pieces left I might leave it or give it to a camper next to us. I don't go around picking up wood from other sites thinking the next person there may not have the means to get or gather wood themselves for a camp fire.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #11

I do not. Seen too many Campground hosts take it
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:48 PM   #12
CAG

So here is the other side of that and I am not "scolding" but rather presenting information.

Smoke causes many problems for many people. It make it hard for them to breath, it stinks up the inside of trailers and causes health problems for people who have breathing issues.

Consider this. We have gone to a propane camp fire that puts off no smoke but puts off heat and gives the enjoyment of a fire in the evening. Just a note that many RV parks now prohibit wood fires because of the various problems.

Leave a log if you like but consider others and go gas.

https://www.amazon.com/Outland-Fireb...s%2C340&sr=8-1

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:54 PM   #13

So here is the another side of that and I am not "scolding" but rather presenting information.
My wife is allergic to beef and even to the smoke that comes from cookers. If see eats beef that a fast trip to the ER and just from the smoke she get a reaction where she has to take meds soon or its a trip to the ER. So should we ask everyone to not cook beef around us camping. NO It's not them that has the problem it's her so we deal with it.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:06 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Maybe you two should consider hotels or go on a cruise. Campfires and eating steaks cooked on them is why most of us camp. Not scolding, but the last thing I want to see is wood campfires being banned because .001% of the campers have a problem with them.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockettlarry View Post
I do not. Seen too many Campground hosts take it
I too see the hosts clean up everything from trash to mowing to raking the pad right after folks leave. I'm not sure what they do with the slightly burnt logs but I have never seen one resold.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Maybe you two should consider hotels or go on a cruise. Campfires and eating steaks cooked on them is why most of us camp. Not scolding, but the last thing I want to see is wood campfires being banned because .001% of the campers have a problem with them.
LOL. I still get a good steak every now and then. The funny thing is she still cooks red meat like hamburger in the house to use in foods for me. It's only if she eats it or the smoke off the grill cooking it. She started having this problem about 20 years ago she's 54 now. At least we don't have to give up the campfire.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:06 PM   #17
Site Team

I actually experienced this situation last summer. Last June, we were staying at Pine Cove campground here in PA. We were there for 5 days. The 3rd night we were there, there was a couple that pulled in to the site next to us with a really nice diesel pusher. No more than they started setting up, the husband came over to me and politely asked if we wouldn't light a fire that night. He explained that his wife had COPD and that wood smoke bothered her breathing. I told him no problem and we would just cook inside that evening.

They only stayed there overnight and were on their way to NY. Before they left, they both came over and thanked us and handed me a bottle of wine. Nice gesture but not necessary. They said that the we had been the only people their entire trip, they had started in Arizona, that had actually agreed not to burn beside them. It kind of made me feel good that we made them happy.

That was the only time in many years and hundreds of nights of camping that I have ever been asked. I look at it as a very small sacrifice to make someone else comfortable on their trip.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I actually experienced this situation last summer. Last June, we were staying at Pine Cove campground here in PA. We were there for 5 days. The 3rd night we were there, there was a couple that pulled in to the site next to us with a really nice diesel pusher. No more than they started setting up, the husband came over to me and politely asked if we wouldn't light a fire that night. He explained that his wife had COPD and that wood smoke bothered her breathing. I told him no problem and we would just cook inside that evening.

They only stayed there overnight and were on their way to NY. Before they left, they both came over and thanked us and handed me a bottle of wine. Nice gesture but not necessary. They said that the we had been the only people their entire trip, they had started in Arizona, that had actually agreed not to burn beside them. It kind of made me feel good that we made them happy.

That was the only time in many years and hundreds of nights of camping that I have ever been asked. I look at it as a very small sacrifice to make someone else comfortable on their trip.
Good for you!

If I've only got one or two sticks left when we're ready to leave, I'll usually leave it. More often than not, though, the only wood I leave behind is the partially-burned stuff in the fire ring.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:25 PM   #19
Site Team

We try to buy just enough for the length of time we'll be there. If we do have some left over when it's time to leave, we ask other campers that are still there, if they would like it brought over. If no one wants it, we leave it there for the next people. But, we never know if the park groundskeepers leave it, or take it away when they mow the site.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:47 AM   #20

In WI you can't haul wood more than 25 miles. Before all this we used to bring enough wood for the first 2 nights or so. Back then free wood was everywhere and people used to leave piles of it behind. I used to be one of those vultures back when we were tenting and didn't have a lot of money. Actually it was fun driving though a CG on a "wood run".

That said if we have any left we give it to a neighboring camper. Otherwise we try to burn what we buy.

I certainly respect others and their needs, and I am sympathetic to people who have health issues. However campfires are a huge part of camping for the vast majority. Most CGs have fire rings. We cook most of our meals over the fire. We enjoy being outside and especially enjoy campfires. We even have a fire pit in our back yard which get used a lot in the warmer weather.

But asking people to refrain from lighting fires is like living on a busy street and asking people to limit the amount of exhaust fumes and noise from their cars. It's just not realistic. My wife and I each have our own health issues. But they are our issues. I don't expect others to change their way of doing to thing to accommodate us. We make our own adjustments and live with it. Keep in mind that there are CGs where spaces are far apart, and there are those with no fire rings.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote