Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-26-2021, 10:08 PM   #1

Lp fire pits

Has Anyone have/used one? We have a toy hauler and am thinking about one for the patio. Was wondering about size do they make small ones I have only seen 24 in and up? 20 lbs Lp last ?
Update question. What about connections, quick connect/ regulator issues?
Jeffp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 01:19 AM   #2

I have a outland firebowl. I removed the hose it came with that had a propane bottle hook up and installed a 10 ft hose that has the nipple for the quick connect on the trailer. And they do make different sizes.
Old 12-27-2021, 04:46 AM   #3
Site Team

I have the Outland 18 in. With 10’ hose and regulator. Self igniter. We. Have enjoyed it at home and plan to take it with us traveling. A 20 lb tank is satisfactory but use will determine how long the tank will last. We only set the flame at half height.
It came with a metal top and carrying strap. A case is offered as a extra cost. For now we plan to look use the box it came in when traveling. Best price we found was on Amazon.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokyle1 View Post
I have a outland firebowl. I removed the hose it came with that had a propane bottle hook up and installed a 10 ft hose that has the nipple for the quick connect on the trailer. And they do make different sizes.
Thanks Shockley, I read a review that said you can't connect to quik connect because of regulator? It said you can't have a regulator (pit) after a regulator (at tanks) .....
Old 12-27-2021, 07:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have the Outland 19 in. With 10’ hose and regulator. Self igniter. We. Have enjoyed it at home and plan to take it with us traveling. A 20 lb tank is satisfactory but use will determine how long the tank will last. We only set the flame at half height.
It came with a metal top and carrying strap. A case is offered as a extra cost. For now we plan to look use the box it came in when traveling. Best price we found was on Amazon.
Thanks, I did see that one now. Do you use it with a separate tank or quick connect?
Old 12-27-2021, 08:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffp60 View Post
Thanks Shockley, I read a review that said you can't connect to quik connect because of regulator? It said you can't have a regulator (pit) after a regulator (at tanks) .....
If you replace the hose with a quick connect style it gets rid of the regulator built in to the original hose. So it is not double regulated.
Shokyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 08:19 AM   #7

Buy a hose w/out regulator. Your tanks on trailer already have regulator. I would buy at least 18'-20' hose to give more space to use fire bowl
54camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 08:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokyle1 View Post
If you replace the hose with a quick connect style it gets rid of the regulator built in to the original hose. So it is not double regulated.
Thanks, THAT is what I was looking for !
Old 12-27-2021, 08:47 AM   #9

Thanks, I was looking at a 20', my to is a octane 222,quik connect is und bath in front !
Old 12-27-2021, 10:19 AM   #10
CAG

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would not be without it especially considering the fire restrictions that go into effect here during the summer. I also bought the carry case for it to avoid the dust when storing it.

I would not recommend connecting it to your RV propane tank unless you can remove the tanks for refill. Using this as often as we do will draw the tank down and you are then going to be out/low for the rest of the rig. I use a 40lb tank dedicated to this alone.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 12:20 PM   #11

I bought the Grill World brand 18.5" fire pit and use it with a 5lb tank, locking lid with handle, self ignitor. We like to take it away from the trailer down to the lake edge, or to one of the kids homes when we visit and so on. Keeping it portable since I don't want to be tied to the trailer, yet no big tank to haul around. Works for us.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 01:42 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks, I did see that one now. Do you use it with a separate tank or quick connect?
I use a separate 20lb tank. Makes it more portable and leaves my onboard tank supply for heating /cooking and fridge.

This is the one we purchased back before thanksgiving. It was on sale then for $129. https://www.amazon.com/Outland-Fireb...s%2C123&sr=8-8

One plus is it puts out zero heat downward and we can sit it on our deck at home.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 12-27-2021, 04:58 PM   #13

Quote:
I use a separate 20lb tank. Makes it more portable and leaves my onboard tank supply for heating /cooking and fridge.

This is the one we purchased back before thanksgiving. It was on sale then for $129. https://www.amazon.com/Outland-Fireb...s%2C123&sr=8-8

One plus is it puts out zero heat downward and we can sit it on our deck at home.
That's the one wife likes. I'm warming up to the idea !
Old 12-27-2021, 04:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would not be without it especially considering the fire restrictions that go into effect here during the summer. I also bought the carry case for it to avoid the dust when storing it.

I would not recommend connecting it to your RV propane tank unless you can remove the tanks for refill. Using this as often as we do will draw the tank down and you are then going to be out/low for the rest of the rig. I use a 40lb tank dedicated to this alone.
Yea, I do have dual 20 lbs tanks.
Old 12-27-2021, 05:45 PM   #15

Search for used ones!

Quote:
Has Anyone have/used one? We have a toy hauler and am thinking about one for the patio. Was wondering about size do they make small ones I have only seen 24 in and up? 20 lbs Lp last ?
Update question. What about connections, quick connect/ regulator issues?
I picked up a used, like new Convert-A-Ball FD500 Fire Dancer Portable Patio Fire Pit on Facebook Marketplace for $30. Nice small size 14", with screw on lid. Unfortunately no longer available new. Burns about 1# per hour on high with a 12" flame. Took regulator off and installed a quick connect, works great.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 06:02 PM   #16

Curious if you are buying it for the ambiance of a fire, or for warmth.

My friend has a nice tabletop patio heater (one of those domes you see at outdoor restaurants that reflect heat down) and it is very nice for warmth. They are designed for one pound disposable bottles and run for several hours on high with that small amount.

Not the same ambiance as a firepit, but much better warmth and longer run time. Just an option.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 06:33 PM   #17
Site Team

We hope to give it a workout this year. We bought it for both reasons. It's iffy sometimes to haul or find firewood now days and the fires with a crowd around it is a good replacement for a fire that could not be had with wood.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 12-27-2021, 06:47 PM   #18
CAG

Quote:
We hope to give it a workout this year. We bought it for both reasons. It's iffy sometimes to haul or find firewood now days and the fires with a crowd around it is a good replacement for a fire that could not be had with wood.

Fire smoke is a problem for many people, and has become more so with people with lung issues from Covid. Many RV parks, like the one we stay in for most of the summer are in the high mountains. NFS Fire restrictions often prevent wood fires and the RV park restricts wood fires for both health and safety reasons and any time of the year.

We spent most of the summer months with my wife's cousin and his wife in an RV park in the White Mountains. He has Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Smoke is a killer to him and others with lung issues. Some think their right to wood fires trumps people with lung illnesses. I would say they are self serving. These gas fires save wood, and lives.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 08:22 AM   #19

We have the larger Outland and like it for the ambiance but unless your right on top of it it doesn’t throw off much heat, especially if it’s windy outside. It’s definitely not like having a wood fire but is nice to have.

I removed the hose with the regulator and installed a pigtail with a quick connect on it. Then installed a quick connect on the original hose with regulator. Purchased a couple of longer hoses with quick connects on them so that I can use the Outland on the regulated RV system or a portable tank and not have worry about the location.

I originally designed this for my TT with two portable 30# tanks but with my new Jayco Greyhawk With fixed tank I’ll only use it with a portable 20# tank.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 10:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Curious if you are buying it for the ambiance of a fire, or for warmth.

My friend has a nice tabletop patio heater (one of those domes you see at outdoor restaurants that reflect heat down) and it is very nice for warmth. They are designed for one pound disposable bottles and run for several hours on high with that small amount.

Not the same ambiance as a firepit, but much better warmth and longer run time. Just an option.
Ambience more than anything. Since we got the patio ,she hasn't left it !