Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #11

I have a 2000 powerstroke w/253,000 miles and have always used regular oil. I get around 11.4 MPG towing 31 ft Designer. Engine still has zero leaks in the garage, absolutely no oil on the floor. Mechanic has never put a wrench on engine for any issue.

I have put a pencil to it and cannot, in my mind, justify the extra cost.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
I have been using Rotella synthetic since the day I got my truck... I want the best protection I can get for it... the syn has allowed me to extend my oil change intervals..(with oil analysis) I have switched over to synthetic fluids for everything... will never go back. Synthetic keeps the engine much cleaner.. and does a much better job of protecting the turbo if you shut off without letting it cool down..
Seann, I feel for you buddy, if I drove a Chev I would want to get all the help that I could!!!!

JUST KIDDING. I am due for my first oil change on my new Ram the first week of January and I have several years of free oil changes that were part of the negotiation when I bought my truck. In my old truck I used Amsoil but have no idea if it made a difference as it only had 65,000 Kms on it when it went back.

My truck is garaged so I think I will stick with regular oil for a while. I only have 3600 Kms on it in 6 months so I don't put that much on the clock and I have only pulled my 5th wheel on one trip so far.

Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #13

Albertaguy, unless you can ask for a particular band name oil at your dealership it's my understanding that the Mopar diesel oil is very close to Rotella T 15W40. I've been getting the free oil changes with my '08 Dodge since I bought it and have let them use Mopar oil except for two changes when the dealership just happen to have Rotella T in stock. I realize all this is useless information but hey, thought I'd tell ya anyway.
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Conductor View Post
Albertaguy, unless you can ask for a particular band name oil at your dealership it's my understanding that the Mopar diesel oil is very close to Rotella T 15W40. I've been getting the free oil changes with my '08 Dodge since I bought it and have let them use Mopar oil except for two changes when the dealership just happen to have Rotella T in stock. I realize all this is useless information but hey, thought I'd tell ya anyway.
Any info helps and I will ask my dealer when I go there.

I'm not sure if I asked you this before, but what place in VA are you in. I lived in Colonial Heights in the 50's when my father was on course at Ft. Lee. It sure was an eye opener for a young Cdn kid and I ended up with quite a Virginia drawl when I returned to Canada.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaguy View Post
Any info helps and I will ask my dealer when I go there.

I'm not sure if I asked you this before, but what place in VA are you in. I lived in Colonial Heights in the 50's when my father was on course at Ft. Lee. It sure was an eye opener for a young Cdn kid and I ended up with quite a Virginia drawl when I returned to Canada.

RE Mopar diesel oil being close to Rotella T; I was told this by the mechanic that set my truck up at the dealership where I bought it in Wilmington, NC (saved almost $10K buying the truck in North Carolina and I can buy a lot of diesel fuel for ten grand!). I've let them put Mopar diesel oil in, as I mentioned in an earlier post, for all but two changes and so far I've had no problems.... "knock on wood."

As to where we live; we're in the southeast corner of the state close to Virginia Beach.
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaguy View Post
Seann, I feel for you buddy, if I drove a Chev I would want to get all the help that I could!!!!

JUST KIDDING. I am due for my first oil change on my new Ram the first week of January and I have several years of free oil changes that were part of the negotiation when I bought my truck. I.

My truck is garaged so I think I will stick with regular oil for a while. I only have 3600 Kms on it in 6 months so I don't put that much on the clock and I have only pulled my 5th wheel on one trip so far.
Condolences on having to drive a Ram.... good engine in it.. too bad the rest is pure.... LOL
Kidding aside guys the DYNO says... you get more power to the wheels with synthetic... and of course you all know if you dont use the power you get better mileage...

215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote