Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2010, 07:28 AM   #1

My Maiden Voyage - Pics and Thoughts

I just woke up for the first time in my new 26BH. The stock Jayco short queen bed didn't sleep too bad... kind of firm, but OK. Yesterday morning I loaded up the trailer with everything I thought I might need, and then some. Pulled it 230 miles, from Hutchinson KS to Clinton Lake State Park, near Lawrence, KS.

I pulled in the campsite about 7PM, found a nice, level spot and proceeded to set up. Unhitched, leveled, stabilized with the jackstands, hooked up electric (then started up the AC), and water (used my new inline charcoal filter).

Before I turned on the water spigot, I made sure all the faucets were shut off. But when I opened up the spigot, water started running out from under the TT. I realized that the low point drains were both open. Closed those, and made sure the water heater bypass was closed. Turned the water on again and all was well. Made sure the water heater was full, then tested it with gas, then switched it to electric. The water was nice and hot by the time I took a shower before bed.

I checked out the water heater and fridge to make sure they both operated correctly with gas or electric, and they did. Set them both to electric to save my gas. Checked out the furnace, and it seemed to work. Only problem I found was that in "Fan" mode, the low and high settings don't seem to work. It just runs one speed. No biggy, but I'll put it on my warranty repair list.

The pics below show my TT and TV, just before sunrise. Behind my camp were a few whitetails running around. When I went around to the utilities side of the TT, I realized that I parked next to an apple tree. Might try to make a pie while I'm here!

It might take a little while getting used to the small living space. It's not bad, but a lot different from being in a house. I set the heater on 60 last night and it never came on. I adjusted it up to 75 for a while this morning, and it warmed things up quickly.

If I make a pie, I'll post a pic. Oh yeah. I had the bright idea of getting some instant coffee to make things easier. Never again! I'm getting some real coffee today, and a little coffee pot. Any suggestions? Electric or stovetop?

The installed sound system is pretty lame, but it's better than nothing. I tried out a CD last night and that worked. It was Ted Nugent Free for All, if you're interested. Found it new at a garage sale last weekend for 25 cents.

I still have a lot to figure out. Biggest thing is organization inside the TT. I guess over time I'll figure out just what I need, and where to put it all. I did think to put non-slip liner in the cabinets before I shoved stuff in, so things didn't shift too much from the drive.

Have a good one,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6435.jpg   IMG_6443.jpg   IMG_6461.jpg   IMG_6462.jpg  
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:12 AM   #2

Looks like you are getting the hang of it. Get yourself an old percolator coffee pot for your stovetop, just in case you are in an area where electrical is not available like while you are on the road and want a good cup of joe. I also have an electric coffee maker, but I also bought one of those Keurig coffee makers that use the K-cups and makes a single cup of some of the best coffee I ever had. The single Keurig coffee maker is good enough for me but you can get them that are more elaborate but also more expensive.

By the way, I like your choice of vehicles!!!
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:47 AM   #3

We stayed down the road from ya in Halstead last month. Stayed last Sept in our new tt also. Loved your area. Really enjoyed the Cosmosphere and Salt Mine especially.

Sounds like your getting settled into a routine and having a great time. We have one of those little four cup coffee makers. Makes sense to have a stove top perculator if you ever boondock. Ya know, I think I can smell that pie cooking! We've never used our oven but others here have mentioned stone or ceramic that they use in the oven to help with baking.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:56 AM   #4

I rode my bike around the camp area a few times, and went up the road to the dump station. That's my next de-virginizing feat to pull off... dumping the black tank. Sounds like a crappy job (pun intended), but I think I know what to do. Black first, then gray, then rinse. Need to get some gloves for the job still. I'm trying to use the camp facilities as much as possible, but when you got to go, you got to go!

Albertaguy, a percolator sounds like the wisest choice for me right now. I plan to boondock, so it'll be just the ticket.

Healthi, I've been to the Cosmosphere, but not the Salt museum, at least not yet. Didn't know there was an RV camp in Halstead. I have a pizza stone at home that doesn't get used. I'll put it in the oven.

Thanks for the tips. Right now I'm getting stuff together for my apple pie. Gonna take my mom out there and fix her dinner this evening. And she might even spend the night.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #5

Like Albertaguy said, looks like you're getting in the swing of things quickly. You'll find in time you'll have things set up to your liking. As for the small space, that will take care of itself as you'll become use to things and will feel, if you don't already, right at home. Hope that pie turns out good, I can almost smell the apples cooking now.

Best of luck, hope you have years of enjoyment from your TT and that nice lookin' truck.
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #6

Bill you need a fishing pole.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:43 PM   #7

Bill,

Sounds like a real nice maiden voyage. It took us a few trips in our 26BH to figure out where we wanted to put everything. After we figured out the storage puzzle we found we had enough room to get around OK. Also, DW put a pillowtop mattress cover on the bed and that turned out well.

Home base... Hondo, Texas

2010 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2009 Ford FX4
4 Point Equil-i-zer hitch
https://www.armadillotimes.com
Hondopatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #8

As Promised... Pie Pics

The pie turned out really good, except for the fact that the top crust broke up when I was trying to put it over the apples. Had to do a patch job. But that didn't affect the taste one iota. Mom decided not to camp in the TT tonight, so we took the homemade, free-apples-from-next-to-the-TT pie back to her house and ate dinner there.

The oven seemed to work fine, but I had to turn the temp up from 350 to 400 after 50 minutes to get the crust to brown. I'll try the pizza stone next time.

Just got back here an hour ago, popped a few Bud Lights and picked my guitar under the glistening sky. It's been a long time since I saw the Milky Way shine so bright.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6475.jpg   IMG_6478.jpg   IMG_6489.jpg  
Old 09-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #9

OMG! You are awesome!!!!!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #10

Thanks for sharing your photos smokerbill.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #11

SmokerBill,

Thanks for the pictures and the commentary. I have a suggestion about your door that seems a little off at the bottom. Try adjusting the stabilizer jacks at the front and back of your trailer--it may be that the frame is torqued a bit, causing the door to seem out of kilter. I had a similar problem when I first started camping in a tt and it was resolved by adjusting the stabilizer jacks.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #12

nice pictures thanks--

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #13

Smoker...I love the stitch-job on your pie!

Well done & keep the posts coming.. me and 'the boy' are going salmon fishing tomorrow - was out last weekend and saw 15-24 pounders being pulled in off the shore.

Regarding your door.....somehow I think you've got that covered!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #14

I installed the bug screens on the refrigerator panel, water heater and furnace this morning. Also put the wraparound step covers on the stairs. Should keep some of the dirt out of the trailer... (no outdoor RV rug yet).

Yesterday when I was riding my bike a spoke broke, and the tire started to bulge in one spot. Found a bike shop in Lawrence this AM and bought some spokes and a new tire. I've been getting my exercise today by replacing a couple of rotted out window sills on my mom's house. One is done, the other half done. Taking a break now.

Sam, when I set up the trailer I adjusted the tongue stand to level the trailer, then dropped the jacks down till they touched (on some hard plastic jack pads), then gave them each about 1/2 a turn more. Maybe I should have ran the front tires onto boards to level the trailer instead of using the tongue stand to level. I'll play with the leveling jacks to see if I can straighten the door. If that doesn't work I'll try leveling the tires.

I might have had a few too many Bud lights last night. Felt kind of rough this morning.

Here's another pic of some of the deer I saw yesterday morning.
Attached Thumbnails
deer3.jpg  
Old 10-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #15

brave considering it's almost hunting season.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #16

It IS hunting season here in Kansas, at least the archery deer season. They probably feel safe in the campground, where no hunting is allowed.

Got the last window done. Time to relax now.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #17

Bill,

Our door is pretty square across the bottom. I would definitely try out what Sam said.

Home base... Hondo, Texas

2010 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2009 Ford FX4
4 Point Equil-i-zer hitch
https://www.armadillotimes.com
Hondopatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #18

Will do, Patrick.

I'm cooking up a little pot of soup right now. It's been a hard day. Started out with a 45 minute bike ride in the cold this morning, then drove out to mom's and finished the work there. Got all the exterior trim around the windows and doors painted, and the front fascia board, too. Then mowed her 1.5 acre yard. Good thing she has a riding mower. After that, took her for a little ride around Wyandotte county lake, one of my old haunts when I was a teenager.

It's going to be early to bed tonight, and then tomorrow I'll dump the holding tanks. Gray and black are both between 1/3 and 2/3 full. Then need to air up the rear pickup tires before I head back down to Hutchinson.

Overall, I think it's been a pretty successful trial run. Since I haven't filled the fresh water tanks yet, I'll do that in the morning, then test the pump by filling the holding tanks with clean water to flush them out when I dump.

Have a good one,
Old 10-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #19

Bill ... you've got it made !
Old 10-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #20

I notice that my fan only has the one speed on the fan only setting as well. Wonder if thats how its supposed to be? Probably not. Its on my list of warranty fixes, too. Looks like your having a great time. We are heading out this weekend for what will probably be our last trip for the year. Depressing, but gives us something to look forward to over the long winter months.

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote