Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #1

My Son wants to join the Air Force after graduating in 6 months

Not sure how I feel about it to tell you the truth. I'm proud of what he wants to do, but in the same sense afraid for him at the same time. He is not one that likes to do what he is told and has had a pretty easy life so far. That being said I feel it's my duty to make sure the recruiter doesn't fill his head with a bunch of empty promises of what "MAY" be available for him. I want to the truth of what "WILL" happen and take place after he signs up. No BS!!!!!!!!!!! People lie to get their numbers up no matter who it hurts in my book. Anyone out there had there kids sign up in the last 12 months? What was the promises vs. what actually happened when they got in? Right now I think he thinks I'm a bad parent because I want to KNOW what's what and not willing to jump into this thing blinded by empty promises.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #2

My daughter join the USN last Jan.She in San Diego now doing what she signed up for.No problems other than home sick.Nephew join the Air Force still in boot camp.When I hear from him I will ask ?.
mikesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesr View Post
My daughter join the USN last Jan.She in San Diego now doing what she signed up for.No problems other than home sick.Nephew join the Air Force still in boot camp.When I hear from him I will ask ?.
Thanks. I am glad your daughter is getting what they ssaid she would. I hope ours goes the the same. The house will be a lot different this summer.... QUIET. Not sure I will like that so much to tell the truth. My other 3 kids all moved out and he is the last one still home in a 5 bedroom house.
Is your name Mike and are you a Sr and your son a Jr? If so that's me and my son as well.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
Old 01-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #4

Before signing on the dotted line, make sure your son knows not to fall for "..the job you want isn't available, but here is a neat job you could do for a year then cross train into the job you really want". If his preference isn't available, no matter how good it sounds, tell him to let the recruiter know to give him a call when it does come available

Also, suggest to your son that he consider a job with future civilian career potential. Use the AF to train/apprentice in, then when he discharges he has more job opp's.

Has he taken the ASVAB yet?
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Before signing on the dotted line, make sure your son knows not to fall for "..the job you want isn't available, but here is a neat job you could do for a year then cross train into the job you really want". If his preference isn't available, no matter how good it sounds, tell him to let the recruiter know to give him a call when it does come available

Also, suggest to your son that he consider a job with future civilian career potential. Use the AF to train/apprentice in, then when he discharges he has more job opp's.

Has he taken the ASVAB yet?
Thanks and I am not aware that he took the ASVAB at this time.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNChelle View Post
Thanks. I am glad your daughter is getting what they ssaid she would. I hope ours goes the the same. The house will be a lot different this summer.... QUIET. Not sure I will like that so much to tell the truth. My other 3 kids all moved out and he is the last one still home in a 5 bedroom house.
Is your name Mike and are you a Sr and your son a Jr? If so that's me and my son as well.
Small world.Jr is 33 now with 3kids of his own.Time flies
mikesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #7

I am a retired USAF Chief Master Sergeant. When talking with a recuriter he may or may not be offered a specific job up front. Guaranteed jobs offers are based on two basic criteria. The first, are specific career fields which are below their authorized manning level Air Force (AF) wide. The second, is the overall state of the Air Force in general. If the Air Force is at or near its authorized end strength by Congress, they my not offer any guaranteed jobs (a specific career field). They may just offer a guarnateed job area (administrative, general, electircal or mechanical) based on his Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) scores. Basically when the economy is NOT good, everybody wants to join the military and end strengths are usually met. When the economy is good the AF has to work harder to recurit therefore, end strengths are usually not met and they have the opportunity to offer specific guaranteed jobs. One job I know they always offer guaranteed is Security Forces.

If he decideds to go in with a job in an open area, around his 10th day his entire flight will be ushered into a room and given a list of jobs in the area they chosed to enlist in an choose from that area. They will be provided a book which has a listing of all the jobs so he can look up what each one entails. He will place his job choices in order from one, two, three etc. Near the end of basic training he will be told which of the jobs he was elected for.

One thing to keep in mind about basic training. It not only teaches them about the AF, its history, organization, regulations, culture, etc. They work to instill discipline. This is where some people have run into issues. The AF works to instill four types of discipline. It starts with Imposed discipline, moves to Group discipline, on to Task discipline and then to Self discipline. These forms of discipline are intertwined into everthing they do every minute of the waking day while there.

During my 27 years I seen about 99% of the people I encountered make a sucessful tour or career of the military. It is what you make of it. I personally have no regrets, and enjoyed every day I was in and miss the camaraderie and the mission.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #8

Explorer03 Thanks for the insight and the response. He is still in the planning stages and is about 85% sure this is what he wants. He is looking to have the Military pay for college when he gets out so this may be just what he needs to get his head in the game before college as well.
Thanks again,
Mike

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
Old 01-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #9

I really do not want to steal this thread by saying someting off topic here, but I feel I need to:
To Explorer03....."THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!" If there was a smiley face that was saluting you, it would be placed here.
Now back to the topic at hand, I spent 8 years in the Navy as an Electrician and never regreted one moment. The only regret I have now is that I did not spend another 12 years and retire in the Navy. As he explained, it's what you make of it.
I really wish the best for you and your family on this matter. Please keep us updated!!

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
Site Team

I joined the Air Force 1 year out of high school. As a immature youth the AF taught me many things, not just a career but discipline and values. I served 4 years active and then after a break served 14 more in the reserves. Left as a MSGT.

Never regretted a day of the experience.

It prepared me for the life that I now enjoy.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #11

Remember, even with a promised job, all associated classes and schools will have to be completed and passed to qualify for the job. Failing a school may land you a job in a similar field or you may be assigned to a position you have no interest in. Personally, I am extremely proud of any young man or woman who chooses to serve our country.I do understand your concerns and wish the best for your family.
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #12

I am currently at almost 9 years on active duty in the Air Force. It has been very good to me and my family, paying for medical school, providing excellent residency programs (despite some of the bad press military physicians get, their residencies have the highest board certification rate of any group), and they are now paying for me to do a fellowship at Yale School of Medicine. I have had the honor of working with and become friends with a lot of great people. Having said that, take everything said by the recruiter with a grain of salt and get it in writing. When I was meeting with the recruiter he told me one thing when his brochure said the opposite, so make sure you read everything before signing on the line.
raider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:40 AM   #13
Site Team

I went to a year of technical training on electronics in Mississippi. The running joke was if you flunked out of tech school they sent you to OCS.

Oklahoma Cook School
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote