Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2020, 11:23 AM   #1

Not a very good 4th

While in town yesterday wifes car got hit going thru a intersection. The other car ran a redlite and hit us in the Drivers rear door. Bent the rear wheel and the door, air bags went off. The person who hits us left the scene of the accident. But there was 2 guys that followed this person home and got the addres and Licence number. When the police showed up one of the guys gave the police all the info. Wifes car is totaled. After filling out the paperwork the police told me that this was a female driver, no licence, no insurance. So Monday going to get call from the claims person and see what they are going to do. Both Wife and I came out of this in great shape. A little sore but no problems.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:26 AM   #2

Glad you're both OK, that's the important part. Car can be replaced.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:20 PM   #3
Site Team

I am very happy to hear that you are both OK. Truly sorry to hear about your spoiled July 4th.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #4

No license, no insurance, and apparently, no clue.

How do we as a society want to deal with this sort of thing?

Glad to hear you're okay.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:16 PM   #5

Speaking from recent experience, get in touch with a good accident lawyer to represent you. Do not try to negotiate a settlement by yourself. You need

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:46 PM   #6
Site Team

There's a 21 year old near us that was arrested for aggravated unlicensed operation, and he's still driving. The local LEO knows, but say they can't stop him for just that. It would be construed as picking on him...seriously!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Speaking from recent experience, get in touch with a good accident lawyer to represent you. Do not try to negotiate a settlement by yourself. You need
Yes, yes, yes!!

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
There's a 21 year old near us that was arrested for aggravated unlicensed operation, and he's still driving. The local LEO knows, but say they can't stop him for just that. It would be construed as picking on him...seriously!
it's a FREAKING shame that the lawbreakers seem to have more rights than we do...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:34 PM   #9

Seann Ain't that the truth
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:01 PM   #10

They have to start having some "real penalties" for these ignore the law drivers. No license, no insurance and intentionally running red lights and other actions that could kill other drivers and their passengers.
garyg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:48 PM   #11

That really sucks. Happened to me about 6 years ago while moving. Got rear end by a drunk driver around 11 am on a Saturday. Just glad I was not towing my canoe trailer, which had been my plan.

No license, no insurance. Had a prior DUI, about 10 years earlier. Guy was in his early 30's I would guess. Him Mom gave him this car as he could not get one (wonder why???). Find out, I could see his house from the my new backyard. I decided to eat the cost of the deductible, not worth the effort for a couple hundred dollars.

Cops took him to Jail and towed his car. Worst part, on Tuesday, I saw him at the gas station putting gas in that same car, no one with him. Had new "W" license plates on the car, nick named "Whiskey" plates as they are for those with a DUI.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:30 PM   #12

Get a lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
it's a FREAKING shame that the lawbreakers seem to have more rights than we do...

Unless you have a close personal relationship with your agent, GET A LAWYER. You may not get a cent, but my point is, unless you have a long term personal relationship, your insurance will only give you their 'standard' settlement. My daughter was rear-ended in December 2018 driving a 2018 Highlander. It sustained over $15k damages and they didn't total it. In February 2019 after unsuccessful treatment for whiplash the offender's insurance wanted to 'settle' for $1,500 and current treatment. She obtained a Facebook post where the 19ish year old who hit her had posted a picture of the rear end of her car over the bent up hood of his within two minutes of the accident. His comment was, "Doesn't look that bad...just hit someone while texting my gf." She is still undergoing medical treatment nearly weekly for neck and back pain, the car has been back to the shop three times but the nearly daily harassment from the perp's insurance ended the day she told them she hired a lawyer. Your insurance will attempt subrogation, but remember the old saying, you can't get blood out of a turnip.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Yeah, I fully understand. My niece and her family of 7 were traveling not too far from home in a Nissan NV3500.
They were hit almost head on by a guy in a small pickup truck, speeding, drunk and high on drugs. Niece, husband and 5 kids all went to the hospital to be checked out. Other driver had to be cut out of his vehicle. All were ok except her husbands back got messed up when the Nissan rolled onto it's side.
That was 3 years ago. The guy that hit them lived with his sister, had no personal property but his truck, PA state minimum insurance. He died about 9 months ago in the hospital. Never came out of the coma.

To this day, they are still fighting. Neither insurance company is doing anything for them. Even had a lawyer and still as of today got ZIP from their insurance company other than hospital bills covered.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:30 PM   #14

Lastest info. Got ahold of insurance and made a claim. They got back to me and told me Because I only have liability on the car that they are not going to do anything for me. I have to get a salvage company to take the car, pay the tow company that removed it. Well I did get a little ticked off and let her have it both barrels. We called them months ago and talked to a salesperson and asked them lots of questions, we thought that we got good answers but it seems that the claimes people changed the rules. So needless to say the old car is trashed and we went out and bought a new Buick Encore was on sale saved $5,000.00 to boot. I got the report on the accident from the police today and this girl was born 1996 and never had a drivers license They charged her with no license, no insurance and leaving the scene.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:42 PM   #15

Wow, that really sucks. I'm so sorry to hear that. Glad she is OK though. That's most important.

A friend of mine's 17 yo son was sideswiped by a dump truck last Friday afternoon. Dragged across 2 lanes. Guy got out, got the car separated from his truck and took off. Never said a word to the kid. The kid is OK, just real shook up.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Wow, that really sucks. I'm so sorry to hear that. Glad she is OK though. That's most important.

A friend of mine's 17 yo son was sideswiped by a dump truck last Friday afternoon. Dragged across 2 lanes. Guy got out, got the car separated from his truck and took off. Never said a word to the kid. The kid is OK, just real shook up.
I have told my DW and son, if they ever get in to an accident, after making sure they and their passengers are safe. Grab the phone, take pictures of the other driver, ideal while in the driver's seat, pictures of their license plates, and of the cars where they sit, before being moved, and before even talking with anyone. Then pictures of their licenses and insurance information. Then start writing everything down.

In the note above about getting hit by the drunk driver, I called the cops, which he did not want me to do. Every time he got near me, I just started talking to the dispatcher like she was my DW. He had no clue. The dispatcher complemented me on my strategy to keep the guy calm and on scene, as the cops were in route.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:55 PM   #17

Without a Lawyer you are at the mercy of the insurance company....they will do you no favors, they will not negotiate.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Without a Lawyer you are at the mercy of the insurance company....they will do you no favors, they will not negotiate.
OP has no insurance since he didn't purchase uninsured motorist or comprehensive. Only hope is go after the girl plus if she doesn't own the car go after who does. You might only get a judgement but that can bite them down the road .
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
Lastest info. Got ahold of insurance and made a claim. They got back to me and told me Because I only have liability on the car that they are not going to do anything for me. I have to get a salvage company to take the car, pay the tow company that removed it. Well I did get a little ticked off and let her have it both barrels. We called them months ago and talked to a salesperson and asked them lots of questions, we thought that we got good answers but it seems that the claimes people changed the rules.
Just asking...

If you only paid for liability why are you upset with the insurance company? I don't know of any insurance company that will pay a claim if you haven't bought the coverage. Uninsured or under insured coverage normally only covers your medical costs not comprehensive.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:48 PM   #20

Grumpy cause we called months ago and got told a completely different story from a insurance agent. We asked questions about accidents and were told they would cover the paperwork and disposel of the car no matter if we had full coverage or not. After the fact if we were told the truth about different things we would have kept full coverage on the car. I hope you understand. This is a case of the right hand not knowing what the left had is doing.