Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2015, 09:46 AM   #1

Periodic Reminder - check your small 'house' batteries too

I think we all hate the surprise of a dead battery and none in supply! For example, think about those that run your: clock, fridge thermometer, weather stations, lanterns and flashlights, walkie-talkies, drills, extra installed smoke/CO2 alarms, small computer accessories, portable reading lights, etc.. Remember that batteries are perishable products that deteriorate from the start of their lives so check your battery health and supply as the camping season starts and remove and store the batteries when the camping season ends; and keep a check list of what appliances use which batteries and maintain a modest supply of extras.
  • Batteries should be kept in a cool, dry place — ideally around 60 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Whenever possible, keep your batteries in their original packaging.
  • Store batteries with their negative and positive terminals AWAY from each other, so that they're not conducting idly.
  • Keep lithium and nickel-based batteries stored at a 40 percent charge.
  • Store new and old batteries separately. If you store them together, power will be drawn from the new one, shortening its life.
  • Leave any plastic caps on your batteries (like the 9V ones) until you need to use them.
  • If you are not going to be using any battery-operated appliance for a month, remove the batteries and make sure to store them as stated above.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
Site Team

Scary story that points out the danger of batteries.

I was changing out 9v volt batteries in a house with smoke detectors in every room and putting the old batteries in a tray on my ladder.
When I got ready to leave, instead of disposing of the old batteries properly, I put them in my pocket while I walked back to my truck.

I had only walked 50 ft when my leg started burning . You guessed it, the batteries had came in contact with another and were hot enough to start a fire, had I hot noticed it quickly.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote