Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #1

Pet insurance

Considering canceling my dogs insurance we have had it since he was a puppy now he is 8 and they have been jacking the monthly rate up nearly doubbled. The new policy letters say rate increase has nothing to do with claims or age BS. Truth is we dont use it much and it dosent seem to cover much on a typical vet visit. My real concern is that once i cancel something major might happen. Murphys law right. Anybody else have pet insurance and have the same experince. By the way my pup is a german shepherd Thanks
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:04 AM   #2

We wished we would have had it after our pug had surgery for bladder polyps. We have since discussed it with our vet. After hearing his stories about high premiums and lack of coverage, we're not going to get it.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:30 AM   #3

We looked really hard at it a few years back, after our 3 year old Aussie passed away from a very rare genetic abnormality - invested almost $10,000 (x-ray here, blood test there, exploratory surgery, etc., etc....it added up over time). There was only one company that seemed to be trying to offer a fair deal, and they are now gone. At least they were honest - the older the dog got and therefore the chances that expensive care would be needed, the more expensive the premiums would be.
The amount invested in insurance over time would likely cover many/most expenses anyway. And if your dog doesn't need it, then you win!
Harder to advise once you have already sunk a fair bit of cash into the insurance. But a truism from a business class years ago - never evaluate based on what you have already invested in a project. That money is gone. Evaluate on the merits now and going forward. If it is still a good deal, then go for it. If not.....
Old 09-13-2014, 04:52 PM   #4

I haven't heard of dog insurance. How expensive is expensive? I've had dogs all my life with no big bills but have heard some horror stories lately.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #5

I got it because my friend had it for his bull dog that needed a 3000 dollar eye surgery and they covered most of the bill. I spoke with my vet and they told me it is skmething you have to get when the dog is still a puppy. They dont sell it to older dogs. The insurance was around 30 a month and was locked in since we got it when he was a pup. But for the last year or so ive been getting bs letters in the mail abiut the rate hikes. Loop holes built into the policy. Anyway it just went up to 75 a month. Like i said earlier i would never have gotten it if i knew it wiuld be this much. But im a bit nervous about canceling now that my dog is getting up in age.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #6

Even $30/ month adds up to around 5 grand over the life of a dog. Not sure it's worth it. Especially for healthier mixed breeds.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #7

We just pay our dog's vet bills. In nearly three years she has had a broken leg, $3000, scent gland problems $300 and next week a final scent gland problem completely solved for $450. I keep telling Sallie that she has maxed out her lifetime policy. We really do like our dog.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote