Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
Site Team

Thumbs down Producing Driver's License at Campground Check-In

It was my first visit to this campground (which I'll not name) for Memorial Day weekend. As part of the check-in process, they asked for my driver's license in order to make a copy of it. When I asked why, the young clerk simply answered that it was "their policy". When I expressed my concerns about identity theft the clerk said that they shread them. If it had not been the for the fact that I was meeting some friends who were also camping there, I would have demanded that my deposit be refunded and went home as this requirement was never disclosed to me upfront.

Up until now, the only informaton campgrounds ever asked me for (and not always) was the year/make/model/license# of my vehicle. As far as I'm concerned, that's all public information being that it's parked just outside the campground's office for anyone to see. Interestingly, this campground did not ask for any of that information- only my driver's license.

Has anyone else ever has this request (more like a demand) made when checking in? If so, what was your reaction?

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:56 AM   #2

I have never been asked for my drivers licemse. AND, I will never provide it at a campground. If necessary, I will simply leave and go elsewhere. There is always a Wal-Mart, etc. to stay in an emergency. You have absolutely no control over the future use/distribution of the copy of your D.L.
001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #3

I would just leave, we give out way too much info the way it is.
82corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:53 AM   #4

Interesting - was it a private or a public camping area? While I dont really like it, I am not opposed to showing ID to prove I am who I say I am - but I would not allow them to copy it. I know when I book my reservations, they already have pretty much everything that is on the license anyway. Most of it is public record, so I am not that concerned - more annoyed.

In the end, I guess I am not too annoyed that they know who is camping in thier campground being as I have small kids that run around. It might at least keep an undesirable person out of the camping area.

On the other hand - One concerning trend I see is the scanning of bar codes on the licenses for routine things such as buying alcohol. I was at a bar not too long ago and when I showed them my license, he grabbed a scanner and hit the barcode. I saw my name/address/etc show up on his register. I protested and got the "our policy" statement, so we left and did not purchase anymore. In my opinion, this is for marketing and not for age verification. Needless to say, part of my barcode somehow wore off and it no longer works.....

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
Interesting - was it a private or a public camping area?...
It was a private campground in Ohio.

And one more editorial note: asking to see my DL to verify my age, for example, is one thing. Making a copy of it, and keeping it somewhere in a campground office (and, most likely, retained in some unsecured manner) opens a whole new door for an untrustworthy employee or other person to obtain sensitive information about me that could be used in an unscrupulous manner.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:58 AM   #6

Don't forget, they have your CC number too.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #7

You can't go to Walmart, 7-Eleven, car lot, any bank, 90% of all other businesses and conduct business with a check, or a few bank or credit cards without showing an ID anymore. If the clerk obtains my ID for marketing purposes, to heck with them. If the guy in line ahead of me at the RV campground refuses to show his ID to the clerk because he is worried he may, or will be discovered to be is a sex offender, convicted felon, wanted, or just has criminal intentions and doesn't want a record of him being there, I will be darn proud to show my ID at this campground and will rest a little easier while my grandkids are in the playground, etc. I would think the likelihood of an untrustworthy employee would be MUCH greater at a Walmart than a private campground, but you can never be too sure. With the exception of the DL number, most info on your DL can be obtained via the internet anyway, unfortunately.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:56 PM   #8

" If the clerk obtains my ID for marketing purposes, to heck with them."

What I meant is to heck with doing business with that person or business....I do not want my info used to get on some mailing list...or worse. If that is all they want my ID for, I will walk out and go down the road. If they want to know who I am and the others that are staying at their campground for security reasons, great!
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #9

We will show DDL for id purposes only; I actually don't mind the idea of verifying who we are. Neither Don nor I will allow a copy of our DDL made though. We rarely stay in public cg's anymore so haven't had to go through that. At WM/store/etc we have a cc with our pic on the back of it. Someone asks for my DDL, I simply point to my pic on the back of my cc card
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:45 PM   #10

I just got that Costco Credit card with my pic on it...never had one of those....As you said Healthi - I just turn it over -- kind of nice!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #11

The other nice thing about the Costco CC is that we use that cc for everything and earn $500 cash back a year.... and an additional 1-4 % back at the end of the year on purchases for anything from food to gas to travel etc. We do use gas, food, and travel a lot when on a camping trip
Old 05-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #12

Many of you wouldn't like traveling in Europe. When you check into a hotel, the clerk takes your passport. Overnight, the police come in and make a record of whom is staying in the hotel, using the passports. It's the law there.

When I lived in The Netherlands, I had to register at the town police station. My family and I were on a short leash, being watched for a few weeks in our new rented home.

Back here in the states, if someone really wants to find out all about you, your drivers license and/or your vehicle tag number will get a determined person any amount of information they want about you.

Richard and Laura Ray
Amateur Radio W4RLR
"The Green Goblin" 2008 F-250 Lariat CC SB, 6.4 liter automatic, 4x4"Love Shack" 1995 Jayco Eagle 277 RBSS fifth-wheel
rray32539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rray32539 View Post
Many of you wouldn't like traveling in Europe. When you check into a hotel, the clerk takes your passport. Overnight, the police come in and make a record of whom is staying in the hotel, using the passports. It's the law there.
Weird.... I don't know how we lucked out, of course it makes sense that we traveled in Europe years ago, but since 911, we did a road trip through Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany, and some Nordic Countries, and the only time we had to show our passport was when we crossed a country border.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #14

It is illegal in Virginia to copy a license unless the entity making the copy has authorization from the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. I have educated a few establishments on the issue.

If they think they really need it let them copy the drivers license number, and only the drivers license number, no DOB. I resorted to this once and it worked while renting an item.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote