Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2020, 09:08 PM   #1

pucker moment on I-25 in wyoming

Monday, we got hit by a reported 60+mph wind gust broadside. Wife was driving.

She said she saw the semi at her 11:00 start to heel over, back left wheel in the air, when the gust started to push us over too.

We got pushed into the ditch.
She hit the ditch doing about 50 and just held on and drove it through to a stop.

Thankfully, ditch wasn't as steep where we entered as it was a hundred yards earlier and later. We entered just past that small tree in the back.

She did a great job of keeping us upright!
It will be impossible to criticize her driving again.

Only damage I saw was a broken strap holding up the gray/black plumbing. A little bailing wire pulled it back into place.

About 200 yards north of us, a semi was over on it's side in the southbound lane.

I was in the back and I was really sure we were going over on onto our side.
Attached Thumbnails
ditch.jpg  

Old 07-15-2020, 09:14 PM   #2

Glad you guys are all right! I got stuck in a bad thunderstorm 2 years back. Straight line winds tearing tree branches off and debris flying across the road.Iíve never felt so helpless trying to figure out how not to get blown off the road while trying to find safety. No fun!

430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:30 PM   #3

Glad everything turned out great and the both of you are ok. Bet it was scary. Take care
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:58 PM   #4
Site Team

Thank goodness you're all ok, and kudos for your wife. Great job!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
1 Spoiled Dog
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:31 PM   #5

Location: Sandy Utah & Kingman AZ and in our Seneca everywhere else.
Glad you are OK... We had a similar experience in tornado alley on NB I-49. We had no clue why all the state troopers were parked under every bridge on the interstate... Luck was with us... we pulled off for fuel before it crossed the interstate.
2007 Toyota FJC - on the trailer
2020 Coors Light - in the fridge

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:03 AM   #6

I 25 through Colorado Springs we hit a tennis ball sized hail storms amid numerous others slamming on their brakes. I kicked off the cruise and let it slow down without braking narrowly missing a pick up going sideways, brake lights on. When we got below I turned on 4WD and touched the gas to straighten the fiver. Missed everybody and everything. While everyone stopped we slowly continued out of the storm. We didn't want to continue with the hail. We needed a new awning. Small price to pay considering the alternatives. BTW those air vent covers that you put over the vents weren't damaged.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:57 AM   #7

We travel from ND to CO regularly to see our kids, and the wind seems like it's always howling around Cheyenne. I don't know how many trucks we have seen on their sides during our travels through that area. I know one thing, I could never live there. Two of my sons also went to school in Laramie, they both loved the school but hated the weather, and they are ND boys.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:32 AM   #8

Wow, scary!!! I'm glad you came out ok. That's one of my biggest fears now that I've moved up from a popup to a TT.

Was there any indication that there were winds in the area? Thunderstorm or the like? I've love to know what to watch out for so I don't get in the same situation. I doubt we would have handled it as well.

Someone was looking out for you that day!

2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab 5.3L 4WD
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:33 AM   #9

Glad to see that you had someone watching over you to keep you safe! Unfortunately we have so many states that this happens way to often! I do know if my wife was driving, it would be her last time!
Geotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:47 AM   #10

Glad everything turned out OK - It takes true grit and determination to drive through an event like that and keep a large vehicle upright under those conditions. Kudos to your wife and her driving ability!!
CRE 3000 Equalizer / Wet Bolt Kit
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2016 Ford F250 6.2 Gasser
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor
Marcm157 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:56 AM   #11

Yowza, pretty scary stuff. Kudos to the wife for pulling it off without panicking.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:02 AM   #12

Wow, that is scary! I am glad you guys made it out basically unscathed! The wife did a great job keeping it on all fours. There is nothing more that I hate when towing our 5er than the wind.

Wondering if you were hauling water in your tanks? I've always wondered how much having water in fresh or grey or black might help in the wind. The thought being having that extra weight low in the frame reduces center of gravity. Would the trade off in MPGs be worth the increased stability?
Slurugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:10 AM   #13

Pucker factor of 10 for sure!!

My wife would have been screaming at the top of her lungs the entire time (driving or not). But one thing's for sure, she'd never drive the rig again!

I'm glad your DW had the skills and wherewithal to get you guys out safe!

I ran into some of those winds going across Wyoming many years ago. Luckily we were in a sedan at the time. There were RVs and trucks turned over all over the place. Scary indeed! There were several signs along the road warning of high winds.

Nothing like an event like that to instill a healthy respect for the unbelievable power of nature...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Wow, scary!!! I'm glad you came out ok. That's one of my biggest fears now that I've moved up from a popup to a TT.

Was there any indication that there were winds in the area? Thunderstorm or the like? I've love to know what to watch out for so I don't get in the same situation. I doubt we would have handled it as well.

Someone was looking out for you that day!

Great question - this Jayco's Jensen radio has the weather band. And it can be programmed to switch on when an alert rumbles thru.

Unfortunately, I had it programmed with the location (SAME/FIPS) codes for the home. Not the current location. It did activate but was broadcasting about storm conditions at home.

It's a bit of a pain to update the codes as you travel. So, instead we both downloaded a app called "Windy" which does a good job of showing you current wind conditions.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurugger View Post
Wondering if you were hauling water in your tanks? I've always wondered how much having water in fresh or grey or black might help in the wind. The thought being having that extra weight low in the frame reduces center of gravity. Would the trade off in MPGs be worth the increased stability?

About a third full. My first instinct was to point us into the wind. But we were not making any turns in the ditch.

The second one was to drop the leveling jacks, tilt us into the wind, but wife pointed out we were protected by a berm to the west and after a quick discussion we decided to sit it out in the ditch.

I did open the windows. Pretty sure it was a useless gesture - moreso with the frameless ones, but I felt like I had to do something.

She's a Get Back On the Horse person, so she wanted to keep driving. But she did ask me to back it out of the ditch.

We sat there for about 45 mins, watched the weather app, then got back on I-25.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
My wife would have been screaming at the top of her lungs the entire time (driving or not). But one thing's for sure, she'd never drive the rig again!

I'm glad your DW had the skills and wherewithal to get you guys out safe!

Well there was screaming but she's fond of yelling "Hold on!" as she drives the RV.

I was making my way up the "galley" from the rear bed in the cab and it reminded me of some really rough sailing days.

Had that ditch had any more pitch, we clearly wouldn't have been as lucky.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Well there was screaming but she's fond of yelling "Hold on!" as she drives the RV.

I was making my way up the "galley" from the rear bed in the cab and it reminded me of some really rough sailing days.

Had that ditch had any more pitch, we clearly wouldn't have been as lucky.
LOL!!

My first instinct is to begin spouting profanities. Just always been that way, don't know how or why. My dad doesn't do it, so I didn't get it from him. I don't tend to panic though, so I guess that's something. And I keep extra undies in the camper permanently

DW on the other hand, she screeches and yells the same way whether she hits a butterfly or there's a tire bouncing down the road about to clobber us. And she does it when she's not driving, which drives me insane. She'll exclaim and I'll instantly get off the gas, start reaching for the brake and take a choke hold on the steering wheel at high alert, adrenaline dump ensuing, thinking she sees something about to hit us that I don't see. Turns out she saw something on her phone. 21 years and I can't get her to stop doing that!! And it STILL drives me nuts EVERY time! AND when she's driving, she STILL has a habit of putting her arm in front of me if she feels like she's about to hit something. I've told her hundreds of times that if the airbag goes off and I get impaled by her broken arm, I'm going to be very angry!

The worst part is when we're in an "oh s#!t" situation and I'm trying to get us out alive, she wants to TALK about it! Then she gets mad when I tell her to be quiet, I'm using everything I have trying not to kill us! We'll talk about it later!

If she were to say anything like "hold on!" I would just start praying ... and looking for my extra drawers!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:56 AM   #18

I don't know if you were in Wyoming or not, but that Wyoming wind can really Blow. 60 mph is not uncommon. Glad you guys are ok.
RFactor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:35 AM   #19

the weather channel showed a guy in TX during the hurricane with a pretty new ford duelly jacked up from the trailer being tipped over on its side with the lights still working...

at least his lights were working but it didn't look good and a nice white dually.. hopefully it wasn't a jayco driver
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFactor1 View Post
I don't know if you were in Wyoming or not
Judging from the thread title.........

Ok, I won't comment further.

Riich is offline   Reply With Quote