Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Seann45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Saskatoon Sask Canada
Posts: 9,701
All those people whipping past you will also be the ones posting about the crappy Chinese tires..
__________________

__________________
Seann
2004 Chev Silverado Duramax optioned past the max. 2009 Jayco Eagle 308 RLS 765 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (696 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
175 days boondocking in 2017
215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Bobx2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 279
While on vacation a couple of weeks ago, I was driving down I-25 through Wyoming. The speed limit there has been raised to 80 mph, so you know traffic was going 85-90 mph. I had my cruise set at 64-65 mph, and stuck to the right lane. Not real comfortable traveling at 15 mph below the posted limit, and likely 20+ mph slower than the majority of traffic. The closing speed of those coming up behind me was not something I enjoyed, and we all know how much attention some pay to their driving.
__________________

__________________

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Braunfels
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
While on vacation a couple of weeks ago, I was driving down I-25 through Wyoming. The speed limit there has been raised to 80 mph, so you know traffic was going 85-90 mph. I had my cruise set at 64-65 mph, and stuck to the right lane. Not real comfortable traveling at 15 mph below the posted limit, and likely 20+ mph slower than the majority of traffic. The closing speed of those coming up behind me was not something I enjoyed, and we all know how much attention some pay to their driving.
Why worry about it? If they run into your trailer, you and your family are safe. Your trip may be delayed or canceled, but no biggie. It's the idiot that wasn't paying attention that puts themselves in danger.

I also pilot a Ural motorcycle with a sidecar and my top speed is about 60 - 65 and in that situation I have to worry about tailgaters but when pulling a trailer, not so much. Actually, I don't worry about them at all.
BeemerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Northern CT
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBob View Post
Why worry about it? If they run into your trailer, you and your family are safe??. Your trip may be delayed or canceled, but no biggie.
Sorry buddy, but the day my family gets rear ended at 80 mph while I'm towing 7K lbs it's a BIG DEAL! BTW, there's nothing safe about that.
__________________
2013 Jay Flight 26BH
2008 Nissan Armada LE 4x4
KiltDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Braunfels
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltDog View Post
Sorry buddy, but the day my family gets rear ended at 80 mph while I'm towing 7K lbs it's a BIG DEAL! BTW, there's nothing safe about that.

Suit yourself. I remain of the opinion it is far safer than pulling a trailer at an unsafe speed.
BeemerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Northern CT
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBob View Post
Suit yourself. I remain of the opinion it is far safer than pulling a trailer at an unsafe speed.
Yea, towing at speeds higher than the tires/trailer are rated for is unsafe. Duh. But to say "if someone rear-ends you it's not a big deal and everyone will be safe after the fact anyways so don't worry" is the most ridiculous thing I've ever hear.
__________________
2013 Jay Flight 26BH
2008 Nissan Armada LE 4x4
KiltDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Braunfels
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltDog View Post
Yea, towing at speeds higher than the tires/trailer are rated for is unsafe. Duh. But to say "if someone rear-ends you it's not a big deal and everyone will be safe after the fact anyways so don't worry" is the most ridiculous thing I've ever hear.
I'm not going to worry about it. If you want to that's fine with me. I'm not going to get into an argument with you. Have a nice day and safe travels.
BeemerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBob View Post
Suit yourself. I remain of the opinion it is far safer than pulling a trailer at an unsafe speed.
I've towed all over the west at 60-62 MPH. In several states that's 15 mph below the speed limit. Never felt unsafe, not once. Most people watch what they are doing. Its the ones that don't watch that are scary, and frankly it doesn't matter if you are doing 50 or 80, those are the ones that cause problems regardless of what the rest of the traffic is doing. So you can go right ahead and keep up with traffic if you like. I don't see the need nor am not convinced that its safer.
__________________
Chuck
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:49 PM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Braunfels
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I've towed all over the west at 60-62 MPH. In several states that's 15 mph below the speed limit. Never felt unsafe, not once. Most people watch what they are doing. Its the ones that don't watch that are scary, and frankly it doesn't matter if you are doing 50 or 80, those are the ones that cause problems regardless of what the rest of the traffic is doing. So you can go right ahead and keep up with traffic if you like. I don't see the need nor am not convinced that its safer.
True. I agree there are some idiots out there at any speed.

I'm not sure whom you were addressing but since you quoted me, I assume it's me.

I am not proposing to keep up with the traffic. I travel at about 60 and think to pull a large trailer much faster than that is unsafe. The risk of someone rear ending me at 15 to 20mph is a minor risk compared with the risk of blow out, loss of control and greater stopping distance at high speeds.
BeemerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Twin Falls
Posts: 62
YEA !!! Most Idaho Interstates go to 80mph tomorrow ...... Now I can get to my campsite to rest and relax a lot faster !!
__________________

__________________
There's NOTHING more exciting than to be shot at .... and missed.
ottor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.