Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2018, 02:50 AM   #1

Really need ideas

I really need help on this one, well ideas from all the folk who own, or have owned of popups. Today I tried to push the beds in by myself, I couldn't do it. Then it dawned on me someone had always started them when I was shutting him up. I need to close him by myself.

If I can't shut down the Beast without help I'll have to sell him, I don't want to sell him, we've become friends.

So please anyone, everyone, ideas on how I can slide the bed ends and the slider in without help.
the Beast, that's my Jayco Select 12HW...
Little Monster, my Little Guy T@B
Roux 'b Doux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:11 AM   #2

Did you make sure to unhook the canvas from underneath the bed slide then fold the canvas over on top of the bed so they are clear. I also had to lift up a little before I starting pushing them in. On mine there was a little block underneath that the support poles went up against. If you try to push the beds in flat that block will only push against the support pole. I also found a shot or 2 of lithium grease on the rails made them slide easier.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Did you make sure to unhook the canvas from underneath the bed slide then fold the canvas over on top of the bed so they are clear. I also had to lift up a little before I starting pushing them in. On mine there was a little block underneath that the support poles went up against. If you try to push the beds in flat that block will only push against the support pole. I also found a shot or 2 of lithium grease on the rails made them slide easier.
Thanks for your answer. I did make sure all the velcro was undone before pushing, I'm not sure I lifted up and not sure I'm strong enough to do so, I'll try tomorrow when we set up again. I'll also look for the block, and find some lithium grease. I have something that is really good but makes me sick as a dog, so will maybe try something else. I greased them just before taking it down time before this but it might need more. I'll check all your info and see how it applies to mine. Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roux 'b Doux View Post
Thanks for your answer. I did make sure all the velcro was undone before pushing, I'm not sure I lifted up and not sure I'm strong enough to do so, I'll try tomorrow when we set up again. I'll also look for the block, and find some lithium grease. I have something that is really good but makes me sick as a dog, so will maybe try something else. I greased them just before taking it down time before this but it might need more. I'll check all your info and see how it applies to mine. Thanks again.
I had 2 different popups and both would be a little hard to push in at times. And no matter how easy or difficult you find it to push them in it will take the same exact effort to pull them out

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2018, 04:55 AM   #5
Site Team

Sounds like some type of dry lube might help.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:38 AM   #6

Finish Line makes a bike lube for chains. It lubricates without collecting dirt. I've used it for years and love it.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
...no matter how easy or difficult you find it to push them in it will take the same exact effort to pull them out
Ditto.

Roux, could something inside the popup be blocking the slides from going in? It doesn’t take much...

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:23 AM   #8

If they are the tiniest bit crooked they will bind. Although it seems counterproductive pull it out and start over.

It may take a while to figure out the combination of pressure and angle to get them to go in. Some will bind a little on one side and less on the other.

And of course make sure the tracks are clear. Even a twig or something can bind up track.

If you are at a campsite, walk around, ask for help from other popup owners. You will get a LOT of help.

If you are at home, ask a neighbor if you have one who has owned one..

Last, you may have a bad bearing/wheel/track. May have to have a dealer look at it. But you can do it. Just compare one that works and look for differences in one that doesn't.

DON'T GIVE UP CAMPING, YOU WILL FIGURE IT OUT!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #9

Thanks y'all. I don't believe the pouring out of help, it's really welcoming and welcome, this is going to take a minute so bear, or bare, with me please.

So addressing questions: I checked for blocking on the tracks, none, and believe me I checked because that has happened.

Lube happening again today, and will check for a different lube than the one I have (Camco Slide Out Lube). I'll try again and also look for other lubes.

I hadn't thought of the slides possibly being crooked, but it sounds so reasonable, since one slide does tend to go in easier on one side than the other.

The thought of trying different angles and all never occurred to me, although I did notice that if I tried to lift it I could almost move it.

Side note, there are no dealers within 150 miles who work on popups, and the nearest Jayco dealer is about 75 miles away and he doesn't work on popups. Go figure.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #10
Site Team

Many potential popup customers are being lured to hybrids.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:14 PM   #11

Front bed, jack up front of pop up so the bed slides downhill. Rear bed, jack front of trailer down. Gravity is your friend.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Front bed, jack up front of pop up so the bed slides downhill. Rear bed, jack front of trailer down. Gravity is your friend.

Murff
Ohh, that sounds like a great idea, I'll try that today. It should help with opening, just reverse process. Thanks, we shall see.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Many potential popup customers are being lured to hybrids.
norty1, super Newbie here, especially to modern trailers, etc. Vintage I know, sort of but the newer ones, not at all. So what are the hybrids? Are the so called super lights? or whatever? Since to me even the lights are heavy. I use an suv to haul my beast.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:33 PM   #14

Thank you all for your suggestions I have tried many of them to no avail. I'm licked. Today after another 90+ degree day, getting the Beast scrubbed and ready to prime, cover the decals that are a mess, I realized. There was not one thing regarding the darned slides that I could do myself. They are to heavy and awkward. So, the Beast and I are going to part company as soon as I can find a buyer. I'll continue to work on him, trying to get him in very good order, he deserves to be bright and shiny again.

So if anyone knows of someone in the market for a large and leakless popup send 'em my way. LOL Thanks for all the help you have all been, and no I'm not giving up camping I'm going to look at the newer and lighter popups and other models my SUV might be able to tow.