Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #21

Well, since I have had all of the 1st year FUBAR's fixed (did most of them myself as most dealer shops are worse than useless) I haven't had any issues, I have added a lot of after sales mod's to make the Rig drive better and fit our style but those don't count, and as I did the work myself for the most part all is good. I have had several boats also, up to 29' so yes, both are money pits. Last two years not one problem other than normal preventive maintenance.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #22

Our first RV was a POS, and I can honestly say it was unusually poorly built. Had it a year and every time, and I do sincerely mean every time I used it there was a major issue, not cosmetic or something that didn’t prevented us from going on our trips! It was down right horrible! One time I was picking it up from a lengthy repair at the dealer and as they opened the door the motor for steps burnt out right in front of me and the service writer! They had to disconnect them from the motor and tie them up so We could go on our trip until they ordered a replacement!

But we love RV’ing and camping. My dad started our family with tents, then TT’s. I got the bug and transferred it over to my family.

We are now on our 3rd RV, the 2nd (Class B), was just to small for my wife and this 3rd, JayCo Redhawk, is just right for us. No big issues with 2 & 3 like the first one! So I can honestly say workmanship varies not only from manufacturers too manufactures, it also boils down to the location of each plant they are built at. I got so burned the first time out of the gate I then did so much research before I made another purchase that I was armed with enough knowledge to make a better informed decision the 2nd and 3rd time around.

Everything everyone states is so true, unfortunately it’s just the way it is about theses things breaking down, falling apart and disappointing our expectations. RV’s are all hand built on a certain budget for a certain retail price, some better than others, some people on the assembly floor are better than others, some people have better days than others while at work etc.. until assembly becomes totally automated and replace most of the human interactions we will all have to not just accept they way it is but also express our experiences, disappointments and opinions as much as possible straight to the manufacture, and not just hope for change, fight for it!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #23
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Everything everyone states is so true, unfortunately it’s just the way it is about theses things breaking down, falling apart and disappointing our expectations.
Just remember.... if it was easy, everyone would be RVing...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:44 PM   #24
Site Team

If it wasn't for RV'ing, all out tools would just be rusting away in the toolbox! There is always a bright side!!!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:15 PM   #25

For everyone else reading this thread, don’t be discouraged. The experiences of a few are not the experiences of the whole.

Educate yourselves, become handy and relax while you recreate in the fruits of your labor.
JDPEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:17 PM   #26

I owned a Jayco 10v Qwest popup for 14 years. I had one warranty issue (taillights went out) that was promptly repaired. And had a tip fall off an awning pole once. Never any major problems and a load of fun.

I can't telly complain about my 2013 x17z hybrid I bought used. The awning crank fell off one day and the water heater wouldn't light once due to spider web in burner tube.

To me camping simpler is better. Rather fight getting a real campfire going than finding the circuit breaker for the fake fireplace.
jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPEagle View Post
For everyone else reading this thread, don’t be discouraged. The experiences of a few are not the experiences of the whole.

Educate yourselves, become handy and relax while you recreate in the fruits of your labor.
Agreed, they are not all nightmares. My Jayco (2009- 2016) and my current trailer (2016 thru present) have never been back to dealer for service for anything. Any issues were minor and I took care of them myself.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:35 PM   #28

Had a plane (Mooney 210) for many years. The first year I flew 125 hours. Had the least amount of problems. For the first 7 or 8 years, I put right around 100 hours in it, every year. As annual useage decreased, maintenance costs went up. It liked to be exercised. I wonder if our RVs are same.
rjmillerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:35 PM   #29

I owned a boat once...just once, it was a money pit...can rent them cheaper than owning one...I now have a TRAVEL TRAILER so far so good...I pray it is not like the boat..
Jo Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPEagle View Post

I agree. Our TT has never been taken back to a dealer for any repair. I do my own maintenance, and love to do mods to make it nicer. The worst thing we've experienced was just last week. No trailer brakes when you stepped on the brake pedal. It did work manually. Thought our controller spit the bit. Thanks to Midnightmoon on the forum, who gave a suggestion to try, and now it works.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:20 AM   #31

Okay, so it's not just me. I feel better.

Not really.

Bought a brand new 2018 Melbourne last fall. Have managed to go camping 3 times. One of those 3 times nothing broke down.

Issue: must charge battery constantly, 5 - 7 days parked = Dead vehicle.

Solution? Amp-L-Start, installed by (who else?) me. As long as I can have continuous shore power, the starter battery doesn't die, like it did before.

Issue: on 3rd camping trip, meaning the RV has been actually used for a total of 7 days in its existence, the macerator pump decided it didn't work. 28 days at the dealer and they've replaced the pump, we'll see what comes of that.

Issue: The TV sometimes turns itself on, for no apparent reason, at various times in the night. Dealer replaced TV during the 28 day stay.

Issue: The radio doesn't pick up any stations more than 5 miles away. This occurred after the in-dash alarm sounded, the day after purchase, telling us that there was no DEF fluid in the (full) DEF reservoir. The dealer suggested that I "Stop off" at a Mercedes dealership in Nashville or Atlanta on what was to have been our first trip. I suggested that since I had written a check for nearly $100,000 and had owned the vehicle for less than 24 hours that the dealer could take it there himself and give me a call when it was actually ready to drive.
On its return, the radio worked fine. Until I left the camper parked and connected to shore power in the driveway for a week, which depleted the battery to the point where it sounded the in-dash alarm again, and we're back to only 5 mile radius of reception.
Back to the dealer, where the Service Manager assessed the problem and said "Don't you have a smartphone? Just use your bluetooth."

Millenials!

Finally, after 9 months and a new Service Manager, during the most recent month-long stay at the dealer, they replaced the radio. Unfortunately, the problem isn't the radio, it's the lack of connection or interference between the radio and the antenna. So, I have a new radio, that is a little better, I think I may be picking up stations as far away as 7 miles now. Not 8 though, because that's the nearest one to me, and I can't get it.

I also took them the name and phone number of someone at Jayco who is aware of the fact that some of these Melbournes were incorrectly wired during manufacture. The dealership has done nothing whatsoever to address this.

Now, there's another new service manager.

Last fall, when I went to winterize the RV, it wouldn't suck up the antifreeze solution. After meticulously following the instructions 5 consecutive times I finally called the dealership. They explained to me that either I was doing it wrong, or leaving some step out.

Took it to them where we had this conversation several times "You must have forgotten...oh, you did that" as I watched them repeat the same sequence of steps I'd already been through 5 or more times. Eventually they put together a piece of flex-pipe and fitting to go directly to the pump. If I were the engineer, or even an engineer, I would have the pump feed the filter and then on to the rest of the system, rather than the other way, but, what do I know?

When I retired, I had an ulcer and stroke-range high blood pressure. It seemed that perhaps if I bought an RV, and a trailer to put the motorcycle in, that travelling to scenic locations to spend leisurely days riding beautiful routes might relieve some of those symptoms of stress.

I think I may have made a mistake.
New TN Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:38 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by new tn camper View Post
okay, so it's not just me. I feel better.

Not really.

Bought a brand new 2018 melbourne last fall. Have managed to go camping 3 times. One of those 3 times nothing broke down.

Issue: Must charge battery constantly, 5 - 7 days parked = dead vehicle.

Solution? Amp-l-start, installed by (who else?) me. As long as i can have continuous shore power, the starter battery doesn't die, like it did before.

Issue: On 3rd camping trip, meaning the rv has been actually used for a total of 7 days in its existence, the macerator pump decided it didn't work. 28 days at the dealer and they've replaced the pump, we'll see what comes of that.

Issue: The tv sometimes turns itself on, for no apparent reason, at various times in the night. Dealer replaced tv during the 28 day stay.

Issue: The radio doesn't pick up any stations more than 5 miles away. This occurred after the in-dash alarm sounded, the day after purchase, telling us that there was no def fluid in the (full) def reservoir. The dealer suggested that i "stop off" at a mercedes dealership in nashville or atlanta on what was to have been our first trip. I suggested that since i had written a check for nearly $100,000 and had owned the vehicle for less than 24 hours that the dealer could take it there himself and give me a call when it was actually ready to drive.
On its return, the radio worked fine. Until i left the camper parked and connected to shore power in the driveway for a week, which depleted the battery to the point where it sounded the in-dash alarm again, and we're back to only 5 mile radius of reception.
Back to the dealer, where the service manager assessed the problem and said "don't you have a smartphone? Just use your bluetooth."

millenials!

Finally, after 9 months and a new service manager, during the most recent month-long stay at the dealer, they replaced the radio. Unfortunately, the problem isn't the radio, it's the lack of connection or interference between the radio and the antenna. So, i have a new radio, that is a little better, i think i may be picking up stations as far away as 7 miles now. Not 8 though, because that's the nearest one to me, and i can't get it.

I also took them the name and phone number of someone at jayco who is aware of the fact that some of these melbournes were incorrectly wired during manufacture. The dealership has done nothing whatsoever to address this.

Now, there's another new service manager.

Last fall, when i went to winterize the rv, it wouldn't suck up the antifreeze solution. After meticulously following the instructions 5 consecutive times i finally called the dealership. They explained to me that either i was doing it wrong, or leaving some step out.

Took it to them where we had this conversation several times "you must have forgotten...oh, you did that" as i watched them repeat the same sequence of steps i'd already been through 5 or more times. Eventually they put together a piece of flex-pipe and fitting to go directly to the pump. If i were the engineer, or even an engineer, i would have the pump feed the filter and then on to the rest of the system, rather than the other way, but, what do i know?

When i retired, i had an ulcer and stroke-range high blood pressure. It seemed that perhaps if i bought an rv, and a trailer to put the motorcycle in, that travelling to scenic locations to spend leisurely days riding beautiful routes might relieve some of those symptoms of stress.

I think i may have made a mistake.
yikes!!!!
Old 06-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #33

They are all junk!!!!! The dealers are all a joke.

Bought a 2018 Newmar in 2017. After 6 months I had the factory come and pick it up to take it back for repairs because no local Newmar dealer would do the warranty work on it because the said Newmar never pays them the full value of the repair. Traded it in for a 2019 Seneca. Had the same problems. No one would work on it and Jayco could not force General RV (my local Newmar dealer) to do the warranty work. Waited 9 months for an appointment from General. When the appointment date finally arrives and I bring it in the Service Manager has an attitude with me and states they will only do the warranty work they want to do and will not do anything else. I called Jayco and they told me there is nothing they can to and if I wanted to wait six months I could bring it back to the factory. At that point I threw my hands up in the air and sold it after only having 4,500 miles on it and owing it for about 14 months. I don't buy the crap that the dealers cannot find good help to repair these things. They always see to find the sales people that promise the world and then forget your name the moment the check clears. Once I sold it i figured for what I got for selling the RV I could stay 625 nights in a KOA cabin and still have the same camping experience. Plus getting double the mileage in my Jeep for less cost per gallon than diesel fuel adds more money to my pocket. More and more of us are getting away from RVing. At some point it will effect sales. I hope the manufacturers and the dealers remember that when the bottom of the market hits they are the ones that did it to themselves. Don't blame the economy, don't blame Trump. Thank yourselves for destroying this industry.
Bob, Marge and Whitney (German Shepard Dog)
Rafstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:28 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Anne View Post
yikes!!!!
Update. The new radio died the first time I rolled out of the driveway.
New TN Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:25 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by New TN Camper View Post
Update. The new radio died the first time I rolled out of the driveway.
I purchased a used 2014 trailer from Camping world, it was on craigslist for sale from a private party, 7995, was the asking price, I asked where I could see this trailer, the lady said "I have it parked at Camping world" so I asked if I could meet her there, she said yes, but never showed, I was met by a high pressure sales lady and then a manager, who promptly tried to jack up the price another grand!! I got up and started to walk out, telling the guy this is some kind of scam! the trailer was advertised as a Jayco 165rb, when in reality, (unbeknownst to me) it was a 145rb, much different trailer! Like an idiot I bought the trailer, (nothing wrong with the trailer) but the tactics used by camping world were nothing short of criminal! I still believe it was a bait and switch!. And to top off all that, I wanted 4 new levelers put on, which was in my opinion a reasonable price, 440.00 installed, (not by camping world) then I decided to have a second propane tank installed to the tune of 550 dollars!! I felt as though I had been raped! I cant do these things as I am old, and handicapped, but I have decided NEVER to do any more upgrades to my trailer unless I can do them, so far, I have installed a solar panel to keep my battery up while dry camping. NOT IMPRESSED WITH RV PLACES OR THEIR PRICES. The fun has gone out of the stuff I wanted to do in my retirement. PRICE GOUGERS!
Old 06-28-2019, 06:51 AM   #36

I am very happy with my small dealer. Prompt, returns calls, gives advice when we are on the road and have a question or problem. They are a family run business around since 1965. Best of all they are ten minutes away.
They are not affiliated with a chain.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:31 AM   #37

We went from sailboating to the TT, the sails for our 34 foot Irwin were about 6 grand. I cant imagine spending that kind of upkeep on out 2019 jayflight 265 for many years.
Mr Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:58 PM   #38

The only thing that works on an old motor home is the owner.
Glenn Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #39

I keep my 22' Boston Whaler at my seasonal camp site on Cape Cod.. It's not cheap to run, maintain or store, but I love love love to fish. It's part of my mental therapy and I love every minute out on the ocean! LOL! It's worth every penny to me.