Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2019, 11:31 PM   #1

Really starting to regret this thing...

Pulled the unit off the $50/month storage lot to use it tomorrow.
AC runs, no cold air.

Every time I open the door on that thing it's now with a sense of dread: "What the heck will be busted on it now?"

Sure - maybe its the Start Cap, if I'm lucky. And I'm out $25 and a Saturday morning.
Maybe it's not. Maybe its the compressor and a whole new AC unit.

I dunno.
Maybe this motorhome stuff ain't for me.
It's sure taking the fun out of it worrying and wondering what's gonna break next.

Just venting.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:58 PM   #2

I feel your pain...

I got rid of a motorhome and went back to a TT..... a lot less tears for me now. But, I do have to worry about the diesel truck now.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:32 AM   #3

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that having an RV is and will be the final straw in testing not only your resolve to continue owning an RV but how well you can handle stress, frustration and absolute disgust with an inanimate object.

That's why we have outlawed any "shoes" to be taken with us in the RV. That way, the "other shoe" will never drop.

Note: That didn't work either!
Old 06-08-2019, 08:14 AM   #4

We certainly flirted with the idea of a motorhome, but we already have a sailboat with it's myriad of systems, and wanted simplicity in our land vessel.

Oh, and is there anything that depreciates faster than a motorhome?

Went with a 26BH trailer for about 18k out the door with hitch. We reconfigured the interior layout to suit us. Like most RVs, it's poorly built, but it's simple, doesn't have anything it doesn't need, and it's fairly easy to repair.

We tow with an F-150, and if anything goes wrong with that, or for normal maintenance, it goes to the convenient shop of our choosing.

The trailer has, fortunately, only been back to the dealer once for a warranty issue on the water pump. They goofed that repair and we ended up doing it ourselves. I would hate to be dependent on those people.

For us, less is more.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Ha... the fun life of RVing..

Remember RVs are like boats.. they are holes in the water (or land) that you throw money in...

The two most favorite days of each... the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

I went through the boat owner money pit and headaches, now on on to the shore money pit and headaches, different vehicle, same experiences!
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Ha... the fun life of RVing..

Remember RVs are like boats.. they are holes in the water (or land) that you throw money in...
Anyone who has owned one fully understands this acronym:
B.O.A.T. - Bring Over Another Thousand

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #7

Break Out Another Thousand
Old 06-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #8

We must have gotten lucky, our neighbor also. We have a 2016 RKS our neighbor has a 2016 22 MHB(?). I had our TT to do warranty work on the furnace one time and that was finished in one day. The neighbor did not have any warranty work done on his TT. We both have had the trouble with the cheap molding finish on the inside. Not a big deal. The only other trouble we have had are our own fault. Neighbor bent the steps up when he left them down and drove away. He got the new steps from e trailer (I think). He broke the toilet and installed a new one on his own. I had to reseal the roof with eternabond and dicor. I put a hole in the trailer side with too long of a screw mounting a knife holder. We both had to adjust the brakes before the first trip out this year.
Not too bad so far for us so far.
We still take our shoes with us.
The wife and I are looking forward to a few more weekends of boondocking this summer. Maybe another longer trip if I can get vacation time on the calendar at work. I am sure the neighbor is also.

It is a high priced toy or hobby. We all could get along without boondocking in the nowheres, camping in a RV park or staying at our fishing hole. Where would be the fun in staying home all the time is my view. I like our TT and hope to use it for many, many more years. It does cost money to keep it.

If you qualify you might be able to deduct the loan interest from your taxes as a second home. We do not qualify for that deduction any more. That might help offset some of the storage fees. (We have room to park at home.) I do enjoy our TT. I just wish we could use it more often than we do.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:26 AM   #9

I also went back to a travel trailer (29RKS) from a class "A" coach. I have pulled my trailer 15,000 trouble free miles over the past two years. Replaced the tires this spring. My Super Duty PSD has also been trouble free. After 30 + years RV'ing in almost every RV combination, truck camper, travel trailer, 5th wheel and class "A" coach (pulling a Jeep), going back to a truck and trailer was the best "fit" for us in retirement. As was mentioned earlier, and as we all know, there is a "cost" to go RV'ing. Our truck and trailer has proven to be a reliable and cost effective way to see to the country.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:58 PM   #10

When owning a MH it either takes a big wallet or a big toolbox, and of course lots of patience.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:12 PM   #11

Just be glad you don't own an airplane!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post

YIKES!!!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
YIKES!!!

Murff
Boy ain't that the truth!

My brother in law owns a plane and a friend owns a boat. What's the saying... It's better to be a friend of the boat, plane, owner than being the owner? I don't hear that as much on the RV side. Besides, only a friend or two of mine would have the skills and experience towing this monster of mine

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:52 PM   #14

Quote:

Yeah, we're fortunate that we've got a little disposable income. So while I'm not happy tossing more money into the pit, at least we can still keep Mac n Cheese on the table.

It's just the feeling of dread, what's going to break now? Or when?
Takes the fun out of things.

What's really ironic is that I think we got a good one. I think we got one of the better Jayco's coming off the line. At least after reading this forum for a couple of years.

Other's have had theirs in dealerships for months.
I shouldn't complain.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post

Yeah, we're fortunate that we've got a little disposable income. So while I'm not happy tossing more money into the pit, at least we can still keep Mac n Cheese on the table.

It's just the feeling of dread, what's going to break now? Or when?
Takes the fun out of things.

What's really ironic is that I think we got a good one. I think we got one of the better Jayco's coming off the line. At least after reading this forum for a couple of years.

Other's have had theirs in dealerships for months.
I shouldn't complain.
Ha.. That's just about our situation too. We did the boat scene for a bunch of years, non-stop repairs and other crap, then it just seemed every time we wanted to go out on the water, the weather was marginal, and we didn't go.. Plus, weekends around here is nuts on the water, which took the fun out of it. So, the boat went bye bye, I didn't miss it.

So, we figured you can't take your money with you when you "check out", so let's put it into a "land" cruiser and see what happens. I don't mind throwing a couple of extra bucks into it for add-ons, it's like a new hobby that keeps me out of trouble

But, I went into this expecting all types of mechanical issues and problems with the coach, hearing so many stories about how cheaply they're made, so I was prepared. Plus, I can fix anything, so I knew the odds were, this thing wouldn't go back to the dealer for repairs, I would just do them... That's why I really pounded the dealer on price, and won, I figured it would be a "repair" buffer I built in to give me a cushion. Hopefully I won't need to use it.

I'm presently surprised so far, going over this complete coach, not seeing any major issues yet. It appears I got a coach built on a Tuesday and not a Friday, so I might just be lucky!!
Old 06-09-2019, 11:43 PM   #16

We spent 6 months on this forum before purchasing a TT. An RV today, with all the complex systems, just seems like to much with the lack of quality assemblers and technicians. Years ago I sold assembly tools to two RV manufacturing facilities and learned that it all depends upon the current management. Owned our TT for two years, Jayco warranty service was excellent, but we had to install a new roof, new water pump, new pressure relief valve for hot water heater, etc. Hate to think of what it might have been with an RV.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #17
Lost in the Woods

Finding quality technicians and assemblers is an issue for all industries, not just the RV industry. Earlier in my career, I trained service techs and installers, it's more about their mindset versus their ability. I'd hate to have to hire new technicians in the current landscape with the Millennial generation. Has to be a horror!

Many of those items you had issues with (water pump, etc.) are actually items Jayco doesn't manufacture, but buys from others. So, it might not be Jayco fault alone.. Maybe the issue is they're buying the cheapest materials, or it's the fact that everyone wants "cheap" (in every industry) and we've outsourced quality to crappy China parts..
Old 06-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #18

I've yet to come across any dealer that's worth a hoot after the sale be it RV, truck or boat. You're the most important person on the planet to the dealer until you leave the lot..then good luck.
icr21801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:11 PM   #19

I know the exact feeling. The impending doom of what’s going to break next just took all the fun out of it. We finally said to hell with it and sold it.
Lynnmsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #20

Definition of "Boat Anchor"..............the motorhome pulling it.

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid.
Av8tor is offline   Reply With Quote