Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2018, 10:57 PM   #1

Renting Out RV & TTs

I often wondered about renting a TT or RV before i bought anything but at the time I couldn't find any in my area, and even beyond.

But, not long ago I was looking at Air BnB for a place to spend Thanksgiving with my family, after I was done, in my promotions mailbox I found a ad for a site named Outdoorsy. It seems this group(?) specialized in renting out RVs etc. Well they don't rent them out the provide the expertise to those of us who have vehicles of any type to rent.

Basically they vet renters and rentees(?) to be sure everything is legit. They also provide the insurance for the whole thing. I like the sound of it and plan to try to rent my Little Guy out thru them. If I get any renters I'll let you know how it goes.

Or check it out yourself. No I do not work for them, I do not get money or anything for posting this, I just noticed several mentions about renting and thought I'd share.

Oh, now I'll try renting an RV of the size I want to buy, or might buy, but only if the owner gives me at least a lesson in how to back it and how to turn corners. My friend has a CDL and I'm a firm believer in that kind of skill.

Mods please don't blast me for this.
the Beast, that's my Jayco Select 12HW...
Little Monster, my Little Guy T@B
Roux 'b Doux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:02 AM   #2
Site Team

Don't worry, I am interested in this idea as well. More real time experience from users would be helpful as long as it's informative.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:20 AM   #3

I would consider being a renter for the sole purpose of the "Try before you buy" thing as you stated. I would never consider renting out my RV. I was a landlord once with a house I owned and I will never do that again. I can't imagine the grief involved in renting something like an RV.

Lesson I learned from renting my house was nobody treats something that isn't theirs the way you want it treated...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I would consider being a renter for the sole purpose of the "Try before you buy" thing as you stated. I would never consider renting out my RV.
We did the rental thing with a Class C twice to see if we would like it, and it really put the hook in us. We rented ours from El Monte here in Orlando. But like Marcm, I wouldn’t use my own rig.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:40 AM   #5
Site Team

I'm with you all. I would like to rent a class C or a small class A. My past experience with that type was purchasing an older model and that ended badly.

Also very expensive learning experience.

I would never even consider renting out my 2nd home.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:53 AM   #6

My wife and I first tested the waters of RV traveling by renting a class C RV for a long weekend and traveling to Lake George. It was a great learning experience and gave us some idea regarding what would be required to become RVers (trip preparation, driving a larger vehicle, setting up, operating different systems, tearing down, etc.). All I can say it's a great way to get some idea if this type of traveling is something you'll enjoy and the work involved.

Fortunately for me the first thing my wife said after the trip was "where are we going next". That was the start of our RV living. On the other hand my grandson says to me after a trip that he came with us on "this is a lot of work" . Yes, there is work involved but in my opinion the fun and times of relaxation are well worth it.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:56 PM   #7

I'm seriously thinking of renting out my two TTs. The Little Guy isn't in "perfect" condition but is very nice. I noticed that there seemed to be a market for them. My popup, now that's another story. Maybe if it was going to a campground near and we did the setting up and tearing down, I don't think I want an inexperienced person trying to set up The Beast. Too many things to go horribly wrong.

One of the reasons I like the site I found is that they have a lot of rentals available in everything from top of the line Class A's to Little teardrops. I want to try both the Class C and if they have a reasonably priced one, a Class B. Since it's usually just me it would make sense. Although I'd still like to have a car handy, I think. Some of the Class Bs look really nice. But... So renting seems the best way to find out what I want next. Oh, I'm selling the Little Monster and The Beast. The little one can be sold now, the Beast needs to be finished now that we got the arm fixed.

So much fun... can't do a darned thing in Texas heat though. 100 degree weather is not working outside weather.
the Beast, that's my Jayco Select 12HW...
Little Monster, my Little Guy T@B
Roux 'b Doux is offline   Reply With Quote