Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #1

Rving with young kids

My wife and I have found a trailer we really like. A 26.5 Bhs fifth wheel. This would be our first camper.

There's a couple things that worry me and the main one is that our kids are to young for this. We have a 2.5 and a 6 month old.

anybody here rv with children this young? Any advice?

Tejasmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:34 PM   #2

You know your kids best! We have camped with my kids since they were very little. The camper you are looking at should allow you to "grow" into it.

In my opinion, camping with the small children is no different than being at home. They need supervised and entertained but they enjoy new surroundings and out door activity. Now my kids are getting older and can explore a little on their own without our constant watch.

Starting them young is a good thing! Gets them "unplugged" a little but even that is harder to do now as every campground it seems has cable and wifi. I won't complain about that because I enjoy some of those comforts at times too.

Its also a way to vacation without breaking the bank.

Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:36 PM   #3

Agree with Knauby. We took our youngest camping at 6 months old. In a tent no less!

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knauby View Post
You know your kids best! ...snip...
camping with the small children is no different than being at home. They need supervised and entertained but they enjoy new surroundings and out door activity. ...snip
What he said ^

If both you and your DW are on-board with it, it will work. But be prepared! Read LOTS of the stuff posted in the JOF and continue to ask questions. If this is your first camper (and camping?) there are a lot of things to learn.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:00 PM   #5

Our daughter started camping at 5 weeks old... in Pennsylvania... in November. Our son was about 4 months old when he started camping. Its a LOT more work with little ones, but its still great fun. Our daughter is 30 months old now and LOVES camping. Our boy loves camping. If you can tolerate it, the kids should love it. With such a young one, its important to have a place for naps.

We take our dinette table down and place a pack and play where the table goes. We can hang a sheet around that area to give him some darkness for daytime naps.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:26 PM   #6

I would think you would be fine with the young ones. I camped in a tent with my sons when they were both still in diapers. They loved it.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:30 PM   #7

Our kids are grown now, but we camped with them from six months on. Started with a tent....then a popup....then a travel trailer....and now a new fifth wheel. Time to start camping with our grandkids!
It was a lot of work with young kids but loads of fun. They loved it. Be sure to take a Pack and Play or playpen for the very youngest. Have plenty of toys, crayons, etc. for possible rainy days.
Lots of family memories are created through camping trips....some that weren't funny then are hilarious to us now!
galakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:15 PM   #8

Thanks guys. My wife is really excited about the idea.

Campings not new to me but it's always meant a 2 person tent in the backcountry with my lab.

RVing is new though. I guess I'm at a but of a loss with what to do with myself and the family.
Tejasmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #9

I wouldn't over think it. My wife and I had our third child on March 7th and plan on camping the 22nd of April so she'll end up being about 7 weeks old. We also have a 23 month old, a 5 year old, and two dogs. It's a lot of chaos and extra stuff to bring but the way we look at it is even if we stay home the dogs need to be walked and diapers need to be changed. It's never too early to start making family memories.
howlin4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #10

You are never too young to start camping, Rving is a natural progression from a tent. There is much to learn but the rewards are there. Enjoy