Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2018, 02:46 PM   #21

Really almost 67 had 45' toy box for about 8 years,now have 16 Eagle 321 RSTS.Have not hit a darn thing!For me its just being extra careful in those camp grounds!Not rocket science,thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0357.1584.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
Exactly. That bridge is about 40 minutes from me in Durham, NC. Technically our Greyhawk at 11’-6” will squeeze through its 11’-8” clearance, but I’ve never had the urge to test that hypothesis. There are too many video clips of it removing rooftop A/C units.
My luck would be they repaved the roadway and forgot to change the warning sign.
Chicago has a bunch of these can openers.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Really almost 67 had 45' toy box for about 8 years,now have 16 Eagle 321 RSTS.Have not hit a darn thing!For me its just being extra careful in those camp grounds!Not rocket science,thanks.
You answered the whole issue in your 1st sentence. You've been driving a large RV for eight years, plenty of experience. You started when there wasn't such a high demand for large RV's Gas prices and the Country was recovering from a recession. There weren't the huge group of new large RV Drivers as there is now and will continue to be.
Politely put.............you were lucky depending on your previous experience pulling or driving a large vehicle. Sadly not everyone is as careful as you are. It's others who are put at risk because of it.
The danger is the new driver who doesn't have any experience and think they can learn as they go.
The other issue will be when current large RV Drivers reach the age to where they shouldn't drive their large RV anymore.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:19 PM   #24

Two things. First, not everyone is equipped with natural abilities to do this or even learn it. It's not rocket science if you're wired for this kind of thing. If you're not, it can be pretty difficult I'd imagine. I've seen it in avation, and motorcycles as well. Really intelligent people who are good at many things. Controlling a given mode of transport not being one of them.

Second...there had to be something medically going on with this guy. Any rational person would react to the first bit of damage. There was more to this guy's story. I feel for him. If nothing else, it must've been terrebly embarrassing.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Was gonna say it looks like a low Ryder now, but it's a day late and a Penske short...
Mach1tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
So your a good driver and competent behind the wheel. It has nothing to do with age every time, it’s experience and natural ability. I used to install garage doors in custom homes. I can’t even count how many elderly and young people ran into their own garages, through their garage doors or a neighbors door and or car as well. I’ve seen some crazy stuff from people who probably shouldn’t have a license. We had repeat customers who were constantly running their cars down the sides of their door jambs or backing through their doors. Some people just don’t seem to be capable of the attention and skill it takes to safely and successfully operate a motor vehicle much less a huge RV. Not rocket science for you but all but impossible to someone else like all skills in life.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:53 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
So your a good driver and competent behind the wheel. It has nothing to do with age every time, it’s experience and natural ability. I used to install garage doors in custom homes. I can’t even count how many elderly and young people ran into their own garages, through their garage doors or a neighbors door and or car as well. I’ve seen some crazy stuff from people who probably shouldn’t have a license. We had repeat customers who were constantly running their cars down the sides of their door jambs or backing through their doors. Some people just don’t seem to be capable of the attention and skill it takes to safely and successfully operate a motor vehicle much less a huge RV. Not rocket science for you but all but impossible to someone else like all skills in life.
X2
The real danger is not in a CG with a 10mph speed limit or backing into a tight spot. The real danger is drivers with little or no skill set running down the highway at 60 plus mph. pulling a long TT or 5th wheel, large Class A or a larger Class C. Then add a growing group of older senior drivers who have declining response times, eyesight, medical conditions.
Point being is you are a competent operator you should have no fear of some much needed national licensing requirements: perhaps a "RVDL" classification.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:51 AM   #28

Here are my 2 cents. Driving abilities range widely. I hate big Govt, but in the real world some people just don't know what to do and need training. My CDL test was much different than my basic driving test. There are basic knowledge skills you need to understand in order to pass the written and driving test. Understanding your stopping abilities, height clearances and turning radius all fall into those "skills" as well as some basic components of the vehicle.

I do believe that a course would suffice in most cases for a TT or 5th wheel driven with your own vehicle. Just like the defensive driving courses and boating courses which could provide drivers with the knowledge of proper towing our units.

Some of the biggest issues I see are bad loading habits, under rated tow vehicles and speed. A minimum 3 hour course could help over 50% of the RV world out there. Learning how to drive without a rear view mirror takes a little bit too.

Let's face it there are just some bad drivers out there regardless of what they are driving in. One of the best skills I learned in numerous courses is to always be scanning your surroundings and mirrors. That applies to parking!

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:34 AM   #29

Very good points 3'"senough
Training and testing under real world conditions with some good instructionals would go far to assure safety. Even new owners I think would jump at the opportunity to get answers to many of their questions. How many posts haven't we seen from new owners asking about the most basic of things. Recently there was a long post about safety chains........it was amazing how many didn't know the right way to hook them.
When I got my CDL MANY years ago I had a State Examiner put me through the paces with a tractor and trailer on city streets and then a backing test.
Then in the Sheriff's Academy we had driving lessons and testing.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:47 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
When I got my CDL MANY years ago I had a State Examiner put me through the paces with a tractor and trailer on city streets and then a backing test.
I took my test in the early '90's. It consisted of a pre-trip and road test. During the road test, the examiner climbed in the cab and said "drive around for a half hour or so" and promptly fell asleep.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:52 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I see what you're referring to. He ran a red light.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:10 AM   #32

That's too funny! The guy who also had to test with me when it came his turn opened the passenger side door (cab over) for the female examiner........she took offense to that........Karma got her.........she got on the top step and lost her grip............she fell flat on her hiney!!! My Buddy did pass his test though
Old 08-26-2018, 07:12 AM   #33

Thinking about it a little more........if there was a national test with required training for 1st time operators........could be a savings in insurance
Old 08-26-2018, 10:09 AM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
Thinking about it a little more........if there was a national test with required training for 1st time operators........could be a savings in insurance

I'm would imagine the RV industry would fight such a test or training. They don't want anything to stand in the way of a potential sale.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:36 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I'm would imagine the RV industry would fight such a test or training. They don't want anything to stand in the way of a potential sale.
If FMCA got involved and pushed for new legislation it would probably pass.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:34 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
If FMCA got involved and pushed for new legislation it would probably pass.
Unlikely. FMCA membership has decreased by nearly 50% in the last 20 years. Most of the members are seniors. The FMCA taking a position on this issue would be comparable to the NRA backing legistlation to take away gun rights. It isn't going to happen.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:35 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Isn't that the truth! They would not want to miss a single sale of a RV. What they forget and overlook is they and their families that are using the same roads as inexperienced or unsafe RV operators.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #38

I would have been more than happy to have been offered a course prior to buying my first TT. Heck, they sent me out the door with it hooked up to my vehicle via WTH that I had no idea how to operate. They hooked it up as I was signing papers, nice gesture but would have been nice to know the procedure. I proceeded home and almost lost a foot as the first WTH bar slammed down when I was trying to unhook. The 10,000 pound Equalizer was still fully loaded. I finally had to google how to get the darn TT off my rig. Point being, they don’t care if you know how to drive it, pull it, operate it, or take care of it. They just want the sale
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:31 PM   #39

Had there been a training program think how much more enjoyable your trip would have been. They didn't do you a favor at all. They should of showed you how to hook/unhook and then had you do it while they observed. Sounds more like they were in a hurry to get you off the lot instead. I seriously doubt you were the first to have this experience.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:43 PM   #40

Pool supply stores often have free “Pool Schools,” probably figuring that you’ll return as a customer. Too bad the rv dealers don’t do this...

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote