Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2018, 12:14 AM   #41

At one time some states required a CDL license to drive a Class C, don't know about Class C's, that, of course, has been revoked. I'd like a class in driving anything bigger than my car. A class in towing would have been nice too, especially with the Beast.
the Beast, that's my Jayco Select 12HW...
Little Monster, my Little Guy T@B
Roux 'b Doux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:13 AM   #42

X2
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:16 PM   #43

What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
Spent this afternoon watching a guy in (his mid 60s?) ping pong off a few trees in a big Class A trying to get to the wrong site. Once he realized it was the wrong site he continued in his now damaged RV to the correct site. After half a dozen tries to back into his site and hitting yet another tree before we could stop him I ran to grab a Ranger. He wasn’t just having difficulties because it was a tight spot or there was no room. He was backing this thing in like he’d never driven it before. I tried to tell him he’d left his steps down and they were dragging as he was off camber driving up on the curbs. Driver said he was aware and kept trying to back in. At this point I walked away and washed my hands of the situation hoping the notified Ranger would send help. When we drove past later his site had three Rangers surrounding it looking at his peeled open RV from tree damage sitting in a pool of water from the water spigot he’d ran over on his site.
People like this driving rigs this large scare me to death. Makes me wonder if there shouldn’t be a test or license to drive a rig that large. I personally hate government over reach and tons of laws, licenses, and hoops to do things but this would be one I’d agree with. Maybe this guy was drunk, although it didn’t smell like it, but he’s going to kill someone at this rate.
This sure sounds like a tall tales of. I don't think there are three rangers in any state park. Interesting reading though.
Tropiccafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:48 PM   #44

Some of us "good ole boys" out there on the RV circuit are ex big rig drivers and would offer assistance if asked. I am an ex and if someone is standing around and I am in a tight spot I don't mind asking for an extra set of eyes in a blind spot. Also a back up camera is a useful gadget.
GilaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #45

As RetiredLEO commented, it not just the Class A, it's the trailers too. When I purchased my 28RLS, no one ever asked me if I had trailer'ed before. Lucky being retired FD (special ops), I was use to driving big trucks with trailers. they did show me how to hook up and its dangers, but nothing on driving, not even a video.

I've seen many blow past me on the highway easily exceeding 65/70 and drifting all over when passing a semi.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:28 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
X2
I know this won't be a popular response and I'll catch heat for it BUT HECK YES!!!! Class A's are large vehicles which under control or no control can cause catastrophic damage and personal injury. When I got my CDL and endorsements many years ago I had to pass written test, vision test and most important a skills test in a semi. The same should be enforced for operators of RV's whether it's a Class A, Class C, large TT, large 5th wheel. There should be a license for vehicles over a set length or weight.
Okay........blast away
Not sure a license is necessary but some sort of endorsement would help. Backing up is not the problem, it's driving on highways at high speeds. These things are not that easy to control in emergencies. I speed like we all do without the trailer, but with it I drive at or below the posted speed.

I have a Ram Ecodiesel pulling a Jayco Eagle 27.5 Fifth Wheel.
MikeandGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:36 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
When I hear stories like this, it reminds me of when my mother first started showing signs of dementia. She was in her mid to late 60's at the time.

I'm not saying that it couldn't be just as simple as that gentlemen not being able to handle the unit, but sometimes there are other things going on that we just don't know about.
Also possibly having mini-strokes, and/or drugs :-(
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:48 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
I see what you're referring to. He ran a red light.
There's a sensor up the street that gets triggered by overheight vehicles and activates the signboard and the red light. Not only do you destroy or damage your vehicle, but you get cited for running the red light. OUCH!

Lyle
LAKnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #49

Even having a class and/or years of experience, changes can F you up, too. I went from an 11' tall rig to a 12'8" tall rig and, despite constantly thinking "look up, look up", I managed to drive under some branches at my dad's house that took off the front attic vent, nearly the front b/r vent and scraped the roof membrane pretty good. Several feet of eternabond later, and the scrapes are fixed, but I still haven't got the vent fixed. Thank g*d for covered storage...

Lyle
LAKnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:34 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropiccafe View Post
This sure sounds like a tall tales of. I don't think there are three rangers in any state park. Interesting reading though.
Maybe not in your state, but in Georgia, Arizona, Montana, Wyoming, National Parks, etc are definitely staffed.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:19 PM   #51

Quote:
By that point with State property damage they might have been State Troopers.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:20 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaCamper View Post
Some of us "good ole boys" out there on the RV circuit are ex big rig drivers and would offer assistance if asked. I am an ex and if someone is standing around and I am in a tight spot I don't mind asking for an extra set of eyes in a blind spot. Also a back up camera is a useful gadget.
X2
Old 09-01-2018, 03:40 PM   #53

Quote:
X2
I know this won't be a popular response and I'll catch heat for it BUT HECK YES!!!! Class A's are large vehicles which under control or no control can cause catastrophic damage and personal injury. When I got my CDL and endorsements many years ago I had to pass written test, vision test and most important a skills test in a semi. The same should be enforced for operators of RV's whether it's a Class A, Class C, large TT, large 5th wheel. There should be a license for vehicles over a set length or weight.
Okay........blast away
No argument here.
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #54

RV Drivers License Requirement

SC requires a special license if the RV is over 26,000. And a different license for driving that size RV and towing anything.

From the SC DMV website:

"A Class E driver's license is required to drive non-commercial single unit vehicles with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) more than 26,000 pounds. Examples of Class E vehicles include trucks and motor homes (recreational vehicles/RVs). When you practice driving, you must be accompanied by an.

A Class F license is required to drive non-commercial combination vehicles with a GVW more than 26,000 pounds. Class F vehicles are the same as Class E vehicles plus a towed trailer or vehicle. When you practice driving, you must be accompanied by an experienced licensed driver."

You must have prior driving experience, or have held a beginner's permit for the license you're interested in earning for at least 180 days, to apply.

Quote:
X2
Okay........blast away
PapiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:20 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by papig View Post
sc requires a special license if the rv is over 26,000. And a different license for driving that size rv and towing anything.

From the sc dmv website:

"a class e driver's license is required to drive non-commercial single unit vehicles with a gross vehicle weight (gvw) more than 26,000 pounds. Examples of class e vehicles include trucks and motor homes (recreational vehicles/rvs). When you practice driving, you must be accompanied by an.

A class f license is required to drive non-commercial combination vehicles with a gvw more than 26,000 pounds. Class f vehicles are the same as class e vehicles plus a towed trailer or vehicle. When you practice driving, you must be accompanied by an experienced licensed driver."

you must have prior driving experience, or have held a beginner's permit for the license you're interested in earning for at least 180 days, to apply.
x2 :d
Old 09-01-2018, 04:36 PM   #56

Shhhhhh

Quote:
x2 :d
Don't tell anyone.... I too am retired a LEO.
PapiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapiG View Post
Don't tell anyone.... I too am retired a LEO.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:58 PM   #58

Quote:
Apparently you’ve never been to Ft Pickens State Park, but thanks for playing. There were at least 2 Rangers trolling in their trucks at all times, a Ranger giving the tours at the Fort, a Ranger manning the entry site, and 2 Rangers in the registration office. This didn’t count the 4 camp hosts on duty at all times. Once this dude finally stopped hitting stuff it was like a Ranger convention on his site along with 2 service trucks. Go on over by site E52 follow the missing tree bark until you get to the new water spigot. Good way to spend your first post
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:46 PM   #59

One of the reasons I went with my 32bhds is the fact it is under the 10k pound non commercial class A limit here in CA. Any travel trailer over that requires a class a to drive. Getting the license can be difficult as there are no schools and you can not turn up to the test without a class a trailer and a licensed driver. The limit for 5th wheels is higher and there are rules for large motorhomes as well.

I am mostly comfortable pulling my trailer tail swing worries me a little and there are stretches of road where I think I spend more time looking in my side mirrors than looking forwards. It is a lot of work and I have very little experience towing.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:15 AM   #60

Scary drivers

All rigs over a certain length should require a CDL. One can rent a large motor home and after 2 spins around a parking lot, he or she is on the road
rhouthoofd is offline   Reply With Quote