Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2016, 05:47 AM   #1

Shopping For A Target Compound Bow

The boys are signed up again for the Fall Youth Target Shoot at the local club. This will be their 3rd session, last Fall, Winter, and now this Fall.

We are considering buying them their own bows instead of renting.

Any suggestions on a bow? Currently looking at the Mission Craze II and the Diamond Infinite Edge Pro. Somewhat considered the Bear Cruzer but not sure about that one.

The boys shot both the Pro and Craze last night down at one of the local archery stores.... They had a hard time telling a difference, but did lean slightly toward the Pro. Couldn't really say why though (we think it is because they bunk/know the Pro is $50 cheaper, which is not a concern being that close in price!). Any reason to not go with the Diamond Infinite Edge Pro by BowTech over the Mission Craze if we go forward with this? It did seem as both the boys had a little more confidence after shooting each bow 3 times. Currently they get a little frustrated using the club bows (more so one of our boys) and we (wife and I) both feel that if they have their own bows it will help their confidence level. Heck, our one boy doesn't even use the site since the bow gets used during the week as well and settings get changed. His groupings are very good, just not centered.

Infinite Edge Pro is slightly lighter by about .2 lbs, 3" longer ata, slightly lower model rest, and includes a stabilizer vs the Craze.

We will be buying a bow for each of them so the bows are set up for each of our boys.

TY!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:45 AM   #2

Craze II is a 7.25 brace height a bit more then the Diamond, therefore maybe a bit more forgiving. I wouldn't worry too much about the weight, thats with nothing on it and by the time you get all the gear hooked up to it you won't be able to tell the difference. I actually add weight to all my bows because I don't float as much with it.

Depending on the Craze kit you'll get a WB or drop away, either are a step ahead of the rest on the Diamond.

Lastly the ATA is a bit bigger on the Diamond, 3in difference, not sure that matters unless the kids are short.

Also, look at the grip, personally I like a flat grip...

Lastly I'd summarize the cams, look at the two side by side, one is more round and the other is more tear dop, that's going to be a simplistic indicator of the draw of the bow. Might not notice a difference at lighter DW but when you get up there it'll be a bigger difference. Me I like a smoother draw with less peak and valley, which you tend to get more in a tear drop cam, vs the round=smooth draw.

These are built to last and saving a few bucks might not be the best thing...
Old 08-18-2016, 08:30 AM   #3

TY J!!!

Only bow experience I have is when I was maybe 10-14ish shooting a hand me down Bear Recurve, so this is all new to me!!! Lol my buddy is a Mathews/ Mission fan, and his daughter loves her Craze.

I will look at the cam shape a little closer, TY for the tip!

The boys just turned 13 last month, are just short of 5' and very lanky for their age (just like me growing up!). I am about 5'8-1/2" or so, wife is 5'4"ish, so hard to say just how tall they may end up being.

How does the brace height make a bow more forgiving? I did read something about the Pro having the feel of a "soft back wall", what does that refer to?

We have ruled out anything really cheaper, even the Diamond Prism since it maxes at 55lbs I think it is. But don't want to spend much more since we are buying two at the same time! Lol

TY!!!

Old 08-18-2016, 08:53 AM   #4

I taught archery for a time, years ago. My daughters and son's in law shoot some with me these days. I started everyone on a traditional bow without sights even if they intended to shoot compound later on.

I am going to shoot spots some this year with a friend in his club and it's compound only and these guys are serious shooters. I have a Mathews Conquest 4 that I shoot in 3D and spots. It's a long axle bow that I can strip down and shoot finger style or dress it up with gagets and shoot a release.

My suggestion to you is buy the longest axle to axle bows they can handle and tech them to shoot without sights and then add sights later.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:03 AM   #5

Mike, TY for the tips!!!

Here is a pic of each bow, showing the shape of the cams.

Craze

Pro

Old 08-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #6

I like round smooth cams. The Mission is 28 ATA but I like the adjustment capability. The Diamond is 32 ATA but I am not a fan of that type cam.

I would pick the Mission because they are both short ATA bows. It's very hard to compete with long ATA bows but the price range of long ATA bows is not in the same ball park as either of these. Either way they should have fun shooting a bow they own.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
Old 08-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
I taught archery for a time, years ago. My daughters and son's in law shoot some with me these days. I started everyone on a traditional bow without sights even if they intended to shoot compound later on.

I am going to shoot spots some this year with a friend in his club and it's compound only and these guys are serious shooters. I have a Mathews Conquest 4 that I shoot in 3D and spots. It's a long axle bow that I can strip down and shoot finger style or dress it up with gagets and shoot a release.

My suggestion to you is buy the longest axle to axle bows they can handle and tech them to shoot without sights and then add sights later.
I shoot the C4 for spots as well, solid bow and I haven't been able to give it up. Picked up the Halox X for hunting and 3D this year...sweet shooter!
Old 08-18-2016, 09:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
TY J!!!

Only bow experience I have is when I was maybe 10-14ish shooting a hand me down Bear Recurve, so this is all new to me!!! Lol my buddy is a Mathews/ Mission fan, and his daughter loves her Craze.

I will look at the cam shape a little closer, TY for the tip!

The boys just turned 13 last month, are just short of 5' and very lanky for their age (just like me growing up!). I am about 5'8-1/2" or so, wife is 5'4"ish, so hard to say just how tall they may end up being.

How does the brace height make a bow more forgiving? I did read something about the Pro having the feel of a "soft back wall", what does that refer to?

We have ruled out anything really cheaper, even the Diamond Prism since it maxes at 55lbs I think it is. But don't want to spend much more since we are buying two at the same time! Lol

TY!!!
Back Wall refers to how the bow feels when you have reached max draw length. A soft wall will allow for a somewhat ever draw where as a solid wall is the length and thats it. its about constancy...I don't think that is a major concern with the first bow, when they get to worrying about that level detail you'll be in to bows that are in the $1200 range! Its not a cheap sport thats for sure.

Brace Height relates to how long the arrow is being pushed by the string, longer brace height less contact with the arrow and less chance for mistake. Shorter brace height longer contact and more chance for mistake, ie torque on the grip. Another reason I like a plain flat grip.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #9

J & Mike,

TY!!!!

Definitely learning quick!!!

One ither thing I had read and noticed in looking closer, is the area the limbs attach to the riser. The Craze has more of a "pocket" while the Pro is "surface mounted".

Do have an offer for a like new Infinite Edge (may be non Pro) for $200. Not sure what all is included or the exact model year yet.

Hard part is how to decide which son gets a used bow even if like new??? Hard part of having twins!!!

As for the $1200 bows, if they want one then they need to save!!! Lol

TY again!!!

Old 08-18-2016, 09:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrusie View Post
I shoot the C4 for spots as well, solid bow and I haven't been able to give it up. Picked up the Halox X for hunting and 3D this year...sweet shooter!
I have shot every bow that was claimed to be better than a C4 and; to me, it's not better, perhaps I am missing something. I don't hunt anymore but back when I was up in a tree all winter or walking I shot short axle bows from a stand or a recurve when on the ground.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
Old 08-20-2016, 05:54 AM   #11

The boys tried the Mission Hype DT last night and loved it!!! It is very similar to the Craze II, but has a slightly longer ata, 31" vs the 28".

They did well shooting it and as much as I would prefer the Craze or Pro (they are a little cheaper in price!!! Lol), we know what bows they like.

The gentleman at Brown's Archery in Goodrich were just awesome with the boys, and us who are learning!!!

Now just need them to figure out what colored accessories and bow string they want to make it their own.

TY again for the help!!!