Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2015, 08:53 AM   #1

SO Proud of the DW!

So I'm not sure if at least part of this belongs in the "Bonehead" thread, but here goes.

We had a relatively nice trip this weekend, despite the oppressive heat. Sunday came around, and we needed to get a jump on the day so we could meet some friends back home. So I began my "closing ritual" from our full hookup site after breakfast. I got the tank emptied and rinsed, pulled up the supplemental stack jacks and got the hitch onto the truck. So far so good.

As I was bending down cleaning out the hoses and getting them stowed, I felt a pinch in my lower back. If I were smart, I would've stopped and took a break right then and there, but I pressed on (bonehead moment). I bent down to put the cap back on the drain pipe and that's when it happened.

BAM! Blinding pain in my lower back. I thought, "nah, I'm okay", then I stood back up and BAM again. Now I'm thinking "uh oh, this is bad". DW was inside tending to the baby and getting everything in there secured for travel. So I limped my way over to the picnic table all but screaming out in pain. I made it over and managed to sit down where I proceeded to grey out, fading to black; I was about to pass out, and I knew it. So I leaned as far over as I could between my knees and took some deep breaths. When my vision and hearing returned, I remembered that I had my cell phone on me, so I called DW 20 ft away in the trailer (lucky we had cell signal) and had her bring me pain meds and water.

After about 10 minutes of collecting myself, I came to the realization that there was no way I was finishing the "closing ritual" in my condition.

So DW stepped up. She finished breaking everything down, hitched up the truck and trailer, and towed the whole shebang 3 hours home. Practically all by herself! I'm SO STINKING PROUD OF HER!! I have been telling her she needed to learn how to do it just for this exact scenario, and so she could help with driving duty on our epic cross-country trips. Well, she had trial by fire this weekend, and she did GREAT!

So, what are the lessons?
1) Listen to your body. When it says "hey, I think you should stop a minute and take a break", just do it. You may not think it's anything, and maybe it's not, but just take a minute and take a water break.
2) Make sure your partner can do (even if it's to varying degrees; my hoses are a MESS) what you can do if you can't do it so you can get home safely.
3) I'm glad I bought the RAM 2500 earlier this year. It would've been a different story if she had to drive the maxed out Sierra 1500 for this trip. So I'm glad we have "enough truck".

Her comments about the whole ordeal included a lot of "psh, this isn't so hard". To which I replied, "yeah, it's not so bad when you have smooth roads, light traffic, a nice tail wind, and a big a$$ truck! Perfect conditions aren't much of a challenge, wait until something happens, then we'll see if you've got the stuff."

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:57 AM   #2

nice
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #3

That's awesome!!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #4

She is definitely a keeper
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #5

Good to know she can handle those responsibilities if necessary.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:30 AM   #6

Fantastic! Exactly why I keep telling my DW that she needs to learn what I do outside and also drive the TV, let alone with the TT attached.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #7

I had a very similar situation happen last year, but in reverse. My wife was not feeling good one evening, so she went inside to lay down. She told me an hour later that she should go to the hospital and get looked at.
She was diagnosed with Viral meningitis for the third time in 10 years.
She knew the symptoms after a while and told me that she thinks that she has Viral meningitis again.
She stayed in the hospital for three days, so I had to tear down our campsite.
I usually tend to the outside and she takes care of the inside tasks.
While I was working inside, I quickly realized that I had no clue where she packed half of our things. I put them away where I thought they fit or belonged.
When we went on our next camping weekend, so she kept asking me where I put this or that. I finally had to tell her I had no idea and that I was in "Hurry mode" to get back to the hospital to see her.
She laughed at me and told me that I need to watch her next time. So we both spent about an hour learning the other persons tasks.
To this day, we still try to switch duties so that one of can manage by our self if needed.
She will NEVER tow the trailer and said that she would call someone like her bother to tow that trailer if it ever happens.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #8

Great story. Hope you are much better now. Sounds like soft tissue damage??? Which can take some time to heal.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Great story. Hope you are much better now. Sounds like soft tissue damage??? Which can take some time to heal.
Thanks!

Yeah, I'm feeling much better now. I'll probably be 90% within 24 hours, just gotta take it easy. Well, that and the drugs help too!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-10-2015, 12:35 PM   #10

I has a similar instance a few weeks back. We asked my daughter what she wanted to do for her birthday and she said a family trip to Jellystone. I contacted all of the family and they reserved sites, cabins, etc. The morning we are suppose to leave I wake up with my back all messed up. I get up, take some pain meds and try to work it out. We are currently living in an apartment because we are building a house and our camper is at a friends house. We get everything loaded up and my awesome wife steps up to the plate and gets all the heavy stuff. I walk around the camper with her getting everything hooked up and we are off. Make it to the campground and I walk her through setting everything up. I was very proud of her. She did state that she didn't realize how much stuff needed to be done. I did do all of the driving which sucked but I would do anything for my little girl. She has a great birthday and my back was good enough the next day to hit some water slides with the kids. Family is all about team work.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:31 PM   #11

As the DW, I lobbied my DH to switch responsibilities for a couple of trips. Learning how to hook-up/break-down/drive (freeways and mountain lanes) boosted my confidence and made him aware of all the packing and cleaning I do after each trip. Now ... to get him to do all the meals and wash-ups while I drink the brew!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:55 PM   #12

I used to think people with back pain exaggerated. Then it happened to me and realized its no joke. Its right up there with kidney stones !
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:33 PM   #13

That is the reason I'm glad my wife can tow, set up and break down our trailer all by herself. She actually goes on a float trip with the scouts every year without me. Her favorite phrase is "I got this".
Old 08-15-2015, 10:12 PM   #14

Nice to know she can and will pull the tt. My DW hates to drive. Inc she pulled the htt to the dump station about a mile down a gravel road. She never saw another car though.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:30 PM   #15

As a DW myself I had to sit in the driver's seat and TELL my husband I'm driving. How will I ever learn if he never lets me try? He has only got a handful of trips on me and just towed himself for the first time a couple of years ago. I'm happy to report that I'm awesome at it. Today I made sure to watch closely the whole hitching up part. That's next. :-)

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
I used to think people with back pain exaggerated. Then it happened to me and realized its no joke. Its right up there with kidney stones !
That's a fact! Worst pain I've ever experienced so far. Still recovering over a week later!

DW tows fine, but her backing leaves a bit to be desired. I've tried all the teaching methods I know (hand at the bottom of the wheel has worked the best), and she still can't get the hang of it. She just doesn't know how far to turn the wheel for the desired effect, and I think she expects instant results; she's not looking 10 feet ahead like she should be. It would also help if she knew her right from left! I guess she needs more practice!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV