Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #1

Spare credit card?

In the past 3 months our credit card has been cancelled twice due to fraudulent use. The first was the day Target got hacked and the second was when a store clerk took our numbers and used the card later. Fortunately Capital One was on it right away and cancelled the cards. THis is fine but both times we had to wait about 1 week before we had new cards in our hands. A potentially huge problem when we're out on the road. I don't like to have multiple credit cards but as a precaution we need to have a backup card with a different account. Does anyone have an alternative solution to this dilemma?
Chuck
chuckandcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #2

DW and I always carry different credit cards when we travel so that if one is lost, stolen, or compromised we still have one we can use.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #3

Thanks Sailor. I think another wise precaution would be to keep the second card in a separate location in the event of a lost wallet.
chuckandcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
DW and I always carry different credit cards when we travel so that if one is lost, stolen, or compromised we still have one we can use.
X2
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
Site Team

I`ve been locked out of a card a time or two, I carry more then one.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #6

Had a similar experience on our trip south in Jan/feb. About a week into the trip, DW's debit card [used for groceries and household stuff] was blocked by the bank because a series of their card #'s had been compromised. Called and they agreed to send a replacement card [new #] to a bank in the area. BUT refused to mail the new passcode [only to the home address]. Anyway the card could be used at point of sale. Before receiving the new debit card our primary credit card with Chase was blocked due to exposure to the Target scam. Notified us via email and overnighted new cards to the state park office for us to pick up. 2 days late on the way to the office to pick up the new cards, I stopped at the campstore that had Wifi and checked emails. Another notification this time from BOA reporting fraudulent activity on the card we typically only use for on line purchases. Had been using it exclusively on the trip for fuel at gas stations. Card had been cloned at a local station the day before and $2k in charges originated in New mexico had hit in 12 hours. Card blocked, fraud charges reversed and new cards over nighted to the park office. Within 48 hours we lost use of 3 different cards and all we had left was about $400 cash. Chase and BOA were very much on top of catching the problem and taking care of both blocking the accounts and getting us new cards via overnight shipping.

In anticipation of our upcoming winter trip, I opened a 3d card that will be our primary. The internet card is still in place and the old primary account will be strictly used as back up with the card buried in the RV / TV. I too hate having multi cards but we have always been very disiplined with our credit. No problem there. But last years experience did not fall on deaf ears. Get a back up card and use it enough to activate it and then put it in a safe place. Do not carry all your cards in the wallet or purse. Make sure you notify your bank when you travel so you won't run into problems with blocked transactions because you are out of your billing area. Squirrel away some cash for emergencies.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckandcindy View Post
Does anyone have an alternative solution to this dilemma?
Chuck
Why not use cash as the alternative?

I understand credit cards are a preferred method for lots of folks, but we just don't use them and favor debit cards when its absolutely necessary to have a card (i.e. hotel, car rental, flights).

We have a primary account that is used the majority of the time. However I also a second "emergency account" with a separate debit card that we can use incase our primary account is compromised in any way.

We have done this for several years now. It was quite an adjustment to eliminate credit cards, but now I don't miss them at all.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

I travel all the time both domestic and internationally. I use multiple credit cards from various banks. Often banks are on different networks so some of them will work where others won't. Sometimes networks may be out. I like to have options and I always carry cash just in case. Also most non U.S. vendors are using cards with chips in them rather than magnetic strips. I have both. Most card companies now require that travel plans be set up in order to avoid declines and fraud alerts even for just travel out of state. This can usually be done online before or during the trip and this is what I do. I am headed to New Brunswick next week and my banks already know about it. I set up travel notes on my cards last year and spent two weeks in Europe and never had a card declined. One thing that may trigger getting your card shutdown is charges at two different places at about the same time. My Chiropractor charges my card for my care plan on the 15th of the month. Once I was in Canada and used the card on the same day and bam, shut down. Took several hours to straighten this one out. The challenge questions from the bank were about stuff from 50 years ago like where my Social Security Card was issued. I was one at the time and had no idea and it wasn't from the State I was born in. Jezz... I hate computers.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #9

I get cash from my bank's ATM only and use cash exclusively since my Debit card # was duplicated and used in Alabama (I live in Washington State). I take an American Express along for dire emergency's but I have absolutely no faith in the card swiper /store terminal security anymore, especially for debit cards, no matter where I am. Yes, it's a risk carrying cash, but the hassle you go through with these card companies/banks just isn't worth it to me.

2006 Chev Silverado Z-71 5.3L H.O. w/ Trailer Pkg

Tekonsha Primus IQ Controller
Roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

X2 DON'T use a debit card like a credit card!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2014, 09:41 PM   #11

I never like to carry much cash. Wife and I carry separate credit cards, different issuer, different account. So if wallet or purse is lost, we still have something that works. I have been told that credit cards have better user protection than debit cards, but not an expert on that.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:02 PM   #12

Yes, debit cards are not protected by the banks like credit cards...Cash is still king in my book at least until all cards and merchant terminals are chip encoded like they are in Europe. These merchant terminals are hotbeds of identity theft as we have all seen the last few months, and it's probably just the tip of the iceberg.

2006 Chev Silverado Z-71 5.3L H.O. w/ Trailer Pkg

Tekonsha Primus IQ Controller
Roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwarrior View Post
Yes, debit cards are not protected by the banks like credit cards...
That depends on the financial institution. Many credit unions, including mine, protect debit cards the same as credit cards.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #14

A side benefit of cash over cards is you are seriously limiting the data collection companies can do on you. The value of their databases of purchase history is very important to them, and I would rather stay out it.

Do you recall the story a couple years back where Target identified a shopper who pregnant and began direct marketing baby stuff to her. Problem was the girl was a teenager who's father was very upset about the mailers target was sending and let the mangment know. Only to learn a couple days later Target was right and his daughter was in fact pregnant. They where able to determine this with analytics they apply to data mine thier databases which are linked to specific customers by card based purchase and loyalty programs.

LINK to story -- https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advi...104057627.html

Yes this the same Target who had millions of customers credit/debit card information stolen.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:32 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
That depends on the financial institution. Many credit unions, including mine, protect debit cards the same as credit cards.
Yea, but the problem is with a debit card your checking account is cleaned out. It may takes months to get you cold hard earned cash back if at all. But with a credit card all you have to do is contest the charge and the charges are reversed and there wasn't any loss of cold hard cash.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
Yea, but the problem is with a debit card your checking account is cleaned out. It may takes months to get you cold hard earned cash back if at all. But with a credit card all you have to do is contest the charge and the charges are reversed and there wasn't any loss of cold hard cash.
You are right, not all banks provide the same protection with debit cards as they do with credit cards. However many do, mine does, if there is an issue they return the cash in 24 hrs and then investigate...basically they trust the customer initially.

Even with the risk of carrying cash or debit cards I personally prefer that to the dangers of credit cards. I know with cash/debit I won't get in debt -- when I used credit I always had an idea of what the bill was, but on many occasions the actual bill was quite a bit more and painful to pay in full. No longer do I have that problem.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #17

The DW and I have 3 personal cards. We have one joint card, which is our primary card. Then we each have a card only in our name. When we travel if something happens, we have at least one backup. It also helps each of us with our credit score. Unfortunately we both have business cards that our in our name and follow our credit score.

During the last trip my DW got a call stating her card was compromised, and cancelled. No big deal, she was forced to use the joint card.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
Again, wrong. When my debit card got hacked and my funds wiped out several years ago, my credit union restored my funds in less than 24 hours.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:58 AM   #19
Site Team

It is hard to have hard and fast rules due to the different state laws. My son had 2 different debit card accounts cleaned out recently and the funds were restored within days. Many states and even different banks/ credit Unions have varying rules on the amount that can be withdrawn from a debit account in a given period of time.
I agree that Debit cards are ripe for fraud.

My debit card was just re-issued by my financial institution. The reason was a precaution because I used it at a Home Depot last year. Made me feel they were acting pro-actively.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #20
Site Team

I've never had a debit card, and don't ever plan to get one either. If I can't pay for or buy anything using credit cards, a check, cash or Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT), I won't do business with you.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote