Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2018, 08:14 AM   #1

Stormy Weather, what do we do?

Ok, so several of us have recently experienced nasty weather across the plains, the midwest, and east coast. I've been stuck on an island in the BWCA of MN during a tornado, stuck in a 23' TT in torrential downpour of central IN, and others as well. The topic of conversation here. What do you all do when stormy weather and these downright scary moments come about while at the campsite?

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:30 AM   #2

Drink beer, pray and when we had our canopy up lowered it an held it down so it wouldn't blow away. Found out next day a tornado touchdown a few miles down the road. Year before that it was a tropical storm that was left over from a hurricane that hit the east coast.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2018, 08:54 AM   #3

Stay away from things that could fall and stay away from sheet metal that could be a projectile
Camp at a 24 hour store or a campground that has a building with concrete foundation and walls. Get out of the TT if it’s bad. Stay in a motel
These days bad weather is not usually so much of a surprise. Tornadoes the exception

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:02 AM   #4

In some places, heavy weather is just a fact of life. The key is in the planning -working out, in advance, what to do when the sky falls. As they say, "Hope for the best, plan for the worst".

We live in Florida, home of the Tropical Storm, so we've had to do this a few times.. our standard precautions look like:
  • Round up all the loose stuff that might turn into flying missiles (Or just vanish in the night) and secure it inside, underneath or in the TV
  • Roll up the awning, take down the free-standing canopy.
  • Close up any fold-out canvas sections.
  • Check for dubious-looking branches - or even whole trees - nearby.
  • Look at how water may run, if the rain gets really heavy (we once had our very own Eagle Scout, out there with a trenching tool, digging channels to divert the mini-flood)
  • Consider waterproofing your shore-power connections.
  • Make sure there's a full propane bottle connected - for heat and hot food, if it's going to be a long siege.
  • Stock up on a good book, or a couple of DVDs to watch.
  • Keep your flashlight and weather radio handy.
  • If you're on a campground, check on your neighbours, to see if they need help.
  • Heat some soup, tuck under the covers and "hunker" !

If all else fails, be ready to "cut and run".. TV unhitched, and parked close by, pointing towards the road. And be ready to make the decision to abandon your TT, unless you really want to be whisked off to Oz in it !

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:02 AM   #5

When you get settled, you determine where to go or what to do if that "what if" moments does occur. Been around several severe storms in Florida. After the first one I went out and bought rain gear to stay dry getting to the shelter. Didn't work, the second storm I think I got wetter. With 70mph rain coming at you it's hard to even see your hand. If there comes a time I have no real shelter or low spots, I'm getting in the vehicle put my seat belts on and pray for the best.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:48 AM   #6
Site Team

I keep a set of rain gear in the rv for rain and walking dogs. We are subject to hurricanes which spawn tornado's. We are retired and if at home we batten down the house and go at a right angle to where the storm is predicted and camp far enough away to be out of harms way and allow us to get home asap.

We have been in cg's that were evacuated, even whole towns, (Myrtle Beach) due to a incoming hurricane. Usually a cg will keep you informed because they will ask campers to leave if a problem is forecast, but the ultimate responsibility lies with the individual.

It's not worth loss of life or belongings by putting them at risk.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #7

Excellent replies and checklists. Thanks

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #8

Some of the worse storms we ever were part of was the summer we spent in the Black Hills. Winds and rain I can handle. We had 13" of wet heavy snow on Mothers Day..which shut almost everything down. But the worst was the hail. At the Koa at Mount Rushmore they lost a number of Rv's due to hail damage, totally destroyed them, along with numerous vehicles. During one of the Hail storms a tornado wiped out a row of cabins in a campground near spearfish. There was so much hail I 90 was shut down for about 12 - 15 miles with over a foot of hail, and then rivers of water coming off the hills. Not our most pleasant summer as storms were a weekly event.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:02 PM   #9

In our first trip after we bought our Jayco, this is what it was like at a nearby resort town, about 10 minutes from our campground:

RAW: Gale-force winds, Lake Winnipeg waves batter Gimli area - CBC Player

At the campground, people were putting stuff away and bringing in their awnings. Some people even packed up entirely and went home. There was no way I was going to tow in those winds, so I told DW we're staying put. We were going home the next day, and when we did, the winds were much tamer.

The storm did $5 million damage to the lakeside boardwalk at the campground, and it took a year to repair.

Sometimes just hunkering down is the best thing you can do.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:03 PM   #10

Had a storm that sent a 2x4 through a camper just over a gentlemen that was laying in bed, almost killed him. We were at the Rockingham campground for the NASCAR races so no where to go. Police told everybody to take down thier flag poles an seek shelter. Me and the wife were litetaly holding the camper up from inside so the top wouldn't fold over the wind was so bad.
I never told the wife but at the time I thought we were going to die. I did the best to crack jokes and laugh but inside I have never been so scared. An I rode out a hurricane in a mobile home as a comparison.
When the storm past the 4' chain link fence seperaring us from the road was covered in tents, awnings, canopy's etc. Thats also when we found put a tormado skirted by us.
Sometimes it is best not to know what is coming.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk