Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #1

Switching to Windows 10?

Our free copies of Windows 10 probably will not be free for long according to this article (link).

I plan to let the dust settle before considering switching.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:46 AM   #2

Windows 10? Heck, my home PC is still running Vista.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:54 AM   #3

I put it on one of the computers here at home 5 days later switched back to win 8.1

Be careful it controls updates and the first update has caused problems causing it to keep rebooting Read the attached link

Windows 10 update triggers reboot glitch for some users - CNET
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:12 AM   #4
Site Team

I only know 1 person that likes Windows 10.. but only uses the PC for email and surfing the Internet (Amazon purchases)... nothing else, so no issues, YET!

I still have the HomeControl computer running XP (7 & 8 do not like power shell programs, or DOS bats, or scheduled runs)
My main box is Vista
DW's laptop - Windows 8.1
My main laptop - Vista
Programming laptop - XP (For micro-controllers)

RV Media Center LINUX - Raspberry Pi

No interest in Windows 10

Will probably switch to LINUX (not DW) as these pc's/laptops die off.

I keep telling everyone to keep their old pc/laptops with the older operating system on them and if they don't like Windows 10, move the older operating system to the new machine (if it came with w10)
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:13 AM   #5

I am a computer technician. I have done well over 100 Windows 10 installs with maybe problem on 3. 10 is fantastic OS. Many great security and GUI updates that are great.

2011 Ranger Sport
brianca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:18 AM   #6

The virtual desktops and 4 corner snap are great tools and the new multi finger track pad gestures make navigation a breeze.

2011 Ranger Sport
brianca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:21 AM   #7

I upgraded a PC and a laptop to Windows 10 last week. So far I like 10 and all of my programs (including some for programming ham radios) seem to work. I plan to buy a new laptop but there is no way I'd put an old OS on a new PC since Microsoft stop supporting those OS's....you will not get security patches.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Our free copies of Windows 10 probably will not be free for long according to this article (link).

I plan to let the dust settle before considering switching.
This article is pure speculation. There is nothing in it that points to any specifics. Just made up stuff to cause anger and disruption. Will they charge for it at some point? Maybe on preinstalled OSes for new machines, but MS has not indicated they will do anything to those who install the free upgrade.

As a Systems Administrator, Tech Republic is at the bottom of my list of "go to" places for accurate and reliable information. IMO, it's the National Enquirer of the tech world.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:25 AM   #9

Upgraded my laptop and plan to do the same with the desktop. I'm one of those guys that didn't hate Win 8.1 so I'm OK with moving on. The one thing I didn't like was the fully automatic updates. I always chose when to install my updates so as not to use up my Verizon monthly data if I was on the road. I found a way to circumvent the forced updates on Win 10 using the Group Policy Editor. I'll know before long if the workaround worked.

Personally I think CNET is the only place to go to get the real skinny on tech stuff.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #10

I have upgraded my personal PC and my daughters laptop. I personally like Windows 10. Neither I nor my daughter have had any issues since we upgraded.

However Microsoft Edge still needs some compatibility issues with Symantec/Norton to be worked out.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:55 PM   #11

I upgraded my laptop from 8.1 to 10, and only had one add-on program that wasn't compatible that gave me fits. When I disabled that, it went smoothly. My desktop is still using 7 and I might leave it like that for a while. Since I used 8.1 in desktop mode -- I don't really like the new modern start screen -- making a change from 7 to 8.1 or 10 isn't a big deal for me.

We were in the process of updating DW's laptop from 7 to 10 and halfway through the upgrade process, the laptop died and wouldn't even POST. I did some troubleshooting and determined that the motherboard was dead. Out came DW's tears; she had a few hundred pictures of our dearly departed husky that we lost a year ago on there, and she was terrified that they were gone forever. I removed the laptop's hard drive, connected it to my computer, and immediately copied everything that was even remotely important. The hard drive was still good, so the next day we bought her a new laptop and an external enclosure for the old hard drive. The new laptop came with 8.1, so I told her to use 8.1 for a while and see how she likes it, and then we'll upgrade to 10 later.

Oh, and I also installed some freeware backup software on there and showed her how to use it to backup her stuff to her "new" external hard drive.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:36 PM   #12

I have 3 systems.....laptop is Window 8.1, desktop is Vista and another desk top that is Linux. The Linux system has been running continuously for 4 years without the first hiccup. Both Windows systems are pains in the butt. I'll admit it, I stopped liking anything Windows based around the third release....and I have both of my degrees in Computers/Network systems. Thank gawd, I'm retired now and don't have to worry about implementing new releases into the studio.......

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #13

I upgraded from. 7 to 10. I tried 8.1 for about a week and hated it. 10 doesn't seem too bad. Boots a little faster than 7 did. About 11 seconds versus 13 seconds. Everything else seems pretty quick.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:39 PM   #14

Both were running win 7, hated the look of Win 8.
Did my Toshiba laptop right off, had to update the wi-fi driver, still need an updated driver for the camera. Don't use it anyway, so if they take a while I don't care. My desktop runes super on !). All drivers that needed to be updated were. Have a few obscure programs that needed to be reinstalled in compatible mode. Hate the start menu though, waiting for a finalized Classic Shell to be offered. Had a few problems with the first one I tried.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
Oh, and I also installed some freeware backup software on there and showed her how to use it to backup her stuff to her "new" external hard drive.
You might want to consider adding an additional off-site backup as well to prevent against theft, fire or other unexpected computer problems. These can be very inexpensive - maybe $5-6 per month - and set up to copy only selected files/directories. Just runs in the background once a day automatically so you don't have to think about it and you can restore to the same or different computer from anywhere you have an internet connection. We have several thousand digital images now as I've been scanning in a lot of old family photo albums so I do both - backup to a local external disk as well as to an offsite service. I use Mozy (Online Backup, Cloud backup, and Data Backup Solutions | Mozy) but there are a number of competing services.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:21 AM   #16

I installed windows 10 on my laptop two days ago. So far it's fine.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:01 AM   #17
Site Team

My wife's win7 Acer notebook had it reserved. When I tried to download it MS rejected and said my Graphics Accelerator was not comparable and the MFG was not gong to update it.
I did some reading on Intel forums and that may change due to huge pressure from consumers.

Until them. my Vista laptop chugs on!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Upgraded my laptop and plan to do the same with the desktop. I'm one of those guys that didn't hate Win 8.1 so I'm OK with moving on. The one thing I didn't like was the fully automatic updates. I always chose when to install my updates so as not to use up my Verizon monthly data if I was on the road. I found a way to circumvent the forced updates on Win 10 using the Group Policy Editor. I'll know before long if the workaround worked.

Personally I think CNET is the only place to go to get the real skinny on tech stuff.
Is there a way to turn off the fully automatic updates? I life in an RV full time and am on a metered internet usage plan 99% of the time. I want to be able to turn off auto updates so I can do it when I'm on a non metered internet connection. Is this possible with 10 as it is with 8.1?

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Is there a way to turn off the fully automatic updates? I life in an RV full time and am on a metered internet usage plan 99% of the time. I want to be able to turn off auto updates so I can do it when I'm on a non metered internet connection. Is this possible with 10 as it is with 8.1?
We use a Jetpack at 5G a month for an internet connection so I have the same question you do. I don't have Windows 10 so I haven't tried this, but there is supposed to be a way to prevent Windows 10 from downloading updates when your computer is connected to a wifi network that you have marked as a metered connection. If you try this, it sure would be helpful to know if it works. Here is a link: Prevent Updates on Metered Connection
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:03 AM   #20

I am one of those folks who bought into the MS Surface when they first came out. I am stuck with the Windows RT operating system and now I understand MS is not going to update that system. That Sucks!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote