Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2020, 02:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
If it's Yard Art that you want...

Sadly, now gone, to make way for a bigger RV dealership lot, but this always used to amuse me, when I travelled I-4. We actually bought our current TT, right next door.

"Airstream Ranch", after the famous "Cadillac Ranch"

Attachment 57226
Picture from "lessbeatenpaths.com"
Oh that's brilliant! I would LOVE to have seen that in person. I saw Cadillac Ranch a few years ago, and saw Carhenge (in Nebraska) last year. Would have been neat to add Air Stream Ranch to my list...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:14 PM   #22

https://youtu.be/fSYdqVn9BNU the gall boys you tube
Old 03-23-2020, 02:58 PM   #23

Carhenge a few years ago my son and I were driving up to the Black Hills and I needed a spot to pull over and just get out a bit and eat a quick bite. Saw a billboard for Carhenge and what the heck it is only a couple miles a way. What a place. Not that I would have been happy to drive 100 miles out of the way to see it but since it was right there it was somewhat impressive in the "largest frying pan in the world" sense. Obviously your property, your time, your money do what you want in general but why?, art for arts sake, Tourist trap?, I dont recall any camping just a small souvenir/food shop though I did not go in it. Something that I did think that was way cool that was not far down the road maybe 10 or 15 miles east was the Fur Trappers Museum

sorry, back to old rv's on this channel now
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryg View Post
Carhenge a few years ago my son and I were driving up to the Black Hills and I needed a spot to pull over and just get out a bit and eat a quick bite. Saw a billboard for Carhenge and what the heck it is only a couple miles a way. What a place. Not that I would have been happy to drive 100 miles out of the way to see it but since it was right there it was somewhat impressive in the "largest frying pan in the world" sense. Obviously your property, your time, your money do what you want in general but why?, art for arts sake, Tourist trap?, I dont recall any camping just a small souvenir/food shop though I did not go in it. Something that I did think that was way cool that was not far down the road maybe 10 or 15 miles east was the Fur Trappers Museum

sorry, back to old rv's on this channel now
A fellow Rotarian I serve with was the one who led me on to Carhenge. He was really good friends with the guy that built it, Jim Reinders. In fact, my Rotarian buddy has a piece installed there; a sundial made from a fly wheel (I couldn't find it when I went). He had spent a stint in England during his career as an engineer and was fascinated with Stone Henge; his family decided to erect the replica (in perfect proportion and aligned correctly) as a memorial to his father. Being there are no huge stones in the area, he saw all the old cars and had an idea. Originally the town of Alliance absolutely hated it. They fought him at every turn trying to stop him from building it. Now it appears in tourist advertisements for the state of Nebraska!

We stopped there for similar reasons to yours; we needed a break. We made and ate lunch in the camper and walked the grounds for an hour or so letting the boy burn off some steam. We stopped in to the gift shop, but didn't buy anything.

I get a kick out of stuff like that. I even have a book put out by National Geographic called "Wacky Roadside Attractions" or something of the sort.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:17 PM   #25

https://youtu.be/wk6KJXeOM0k gall boys
Old 03-24-2020, 02:35 PM   #26

wholly smokehouse.. I saw lots of places i might have pulled over and called it a day not sure i would be able to drive in that far... wow!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote