Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2022, 07:01 AM   #21

The meaning of the phrase: There is no free lunch

To many people do not understand there are no sales. Everything is figured in. If something is given to you then someone else is paying for it. Good luck

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:55 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
I think I finally found my long lost twin brother!
BROTHER!!! You do exist!!! Lol!
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:05 AM   #23

The differences between arm candy, hot sex, and marriage material.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
One of the principals I worked with always used Phil Collins as an example of not necessarily needing to follow what you love to a career.

Phil was a huge Alamo fan from his days watching Crockett on Disney. Instead of becoming an archeologist he made his vocation as a musician and became the largest collector of Alamo memorabilia.
Phil Collins is a good example. I imagine you have to explain who he is to most of your youngsters

But even farther than that -- It's okay to not be a famous name. To love yourself and others no matter how you fail or succeed. Competition is wonderful, but not everything is competitive. Again, I wouldn't have the slightest idea of how to impart that. Maybe encouraging closer relationships with their parents, encouraging them to ask about their lives and family finances, and what their parents had hoped to be when they grew up!
22Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 12:00 PM   #25

Lake Huron, The Meeker and I might be Triplets.

I went to collage, but I was on the millennial program. Out of high school, I know I needed to go to collage, but I was not ready, education for my parents was not a big deal. I went to a community collage for 2.5 years. Then worked a series of dead end jobs, while still taking a few classes here and there. Finally when I was 28ish, I decided to go back to school for real. It took me 8 years to get my 4 year Mechanical Engineering degree. I worked full time for the university, near the end I also had a part time job with the company I still work at. Was married, had a kid, owned a house. I took two classes a semester. To pay for it, I had found out as a full time employee of the private university you got two classes free each semester. Hence getting a job there, is what I did. Took one summer class and said no way to any future summer classes. I graduated with almost no debt (just part of last semester, I paid for an extra class).

My son is a senior this year and is in a class like what you are describing. He is off to collage next year. My biggest concern is he one of the biggest procrastinator I know, and has zero time management skill. My brother might be worst . He tends to do everything last minute, when we bug him about his assignments he says, "I have plenty of time", then he rushes at the end, and is frustrated he does not have enough time.

I think teaching life skills is important, setting goals, understanding how to reach them even when they seem so far off and difficult to reach is important. Learning tools around you. not just wrenches, but skills like how to use the Microsoft program "OneNote". I wish he would learn/use it (it is really easy program) before collage. I learned in collage that time management was so important. I learned I had to sacrifice some things to make sure I prioritized my studies and family time to the top of the list. I learned I could not remember everything. I learned to write down things in a way I could find them and recall them again. I have been trying to get my son to write crib sheets for tests in high school. He tells me, why, we cannot use them on a test! I tend to reply, the act of looking it up, writing it down, and reviewing the sheet will make you remember the details. When it is time for your finals, you have already created a study guide of all the important things. I also would during a test not recall the info I would sit back for a moment with my eyes closed, and think about where I wrote it on the crib sheet. Often that was enough for me to recall the information.

Somethings the kids just have to learn on their own. Today, kids are handed way to many things, and we parents try to make it way to easy for them. We learn way more from failure than we ever do from successes.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:05 PM   #26

Your kid sounds fine to me.... sounds like me at that age. I never carried a book from 8th grade on. Took 5 years to get through college....what a party. Bounced around for a couple of years after.

I've owned or partnered on 5 start ups...two went public. In my 70's and still working at self employment in property management. Kids will find their own equilibrium unless they are mentally messed up clinically. Lazy and procrastination is the way young ones see the world...they have all the time in the world in front of them. You're in the third stage of life it sounds like. Stage one...where am I, oh, I'm here. Stage two....where am I going, how can I get there. Stage three....look where I've been.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:19 PM   #27

I have noticed that the kids can’t look you in the eyes and carry on a legitimate conversation! They need to be taught manners and how to be Courteous to all. Customers don’t care what kind of day you’re having so smile and perform!
Ttlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 01:31 PM   #28

Show up for work on time. Do the job you are paid for. If you hate it find another before resigning. Employers are running a business not daycare
Sunshine67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 02:12 PM   #29

I went to Catlick schools for 12 years. Actually, I DID learn all of the things posted here, and other life skills to boot. (except maybe 401Ks since we didn't have them back then)

OTOH, my kids didn't learn ANY of the right things. Nevertheless, they got taught everything needed at home.

My wife is a teacher and the current curriculum are even worse today.

I was reading the paper the other day. The local news now prints beautiful obituaries in color. The one that struck me this day was written in cursive. My though was how sorry it is that no kid today can even read it if it was their own grandmother.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 02:33 PM   #30

I have to agree with the other posters. Finances is a big one. Talk to a fiduciary at a bank you do banking. Learning how to do a check book is a big one. I don't care if you do a credit card or on line banking. But some places only take cash or checks. I know I still use my check book. Watch out for hidden expenses when using a credit card. Especially at the Secretary of State. Or other places that will get dinged for using a credit card. In Michigan I found out using a credit card or debit card will incur an expense on the business. So watch for that one. Our daughter was left with a trust and I told my mother that I will make sure a ROTH would be opened for her. A fiduciary is beneficial toward old age retirement. I am set because of my mother but others are not so lucky. Balancing a budget, food budget and et all budget. Credit scores is another biggie. We are getting a credit card for our daughter that is being built into a loan that we are getting for our second home. Our daughter will use it to build her credit and I will be watching because she will screw us if she over does it. Most are ineligible for a credit card without a co signer. Getting a job is another and working around college is a biggie. I still don't know how I did that one. Good luck. I am 59 retiring this year and finding out working for a school system and its retirement program sucks. You do not get much for 20 years of service. So I am retiring on what I am getting and then into my inheritance. Then SS at 65. At least this generation will be on a better footing then our generation. O and one more thing. Learn to cook. Ours almost took out the kitchen. I got her better but still. Good luck.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 02:43 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark of insanity View Post
Getting a job is another and working around college is a biggie. I still don't know how I did that one. Good luck. I am 59 retiring this year and finding out working for a school system and its retirement program sucks. You do not get much for 20 years of service. So I am retiring on what I am getting and then into my inheritance. Then SS at 65. At least this generation will be on a better footing then our generation.
Based on what I read and hear, OUR generation (the boomers) are on the best footing. Our kids will never live up to our footing unless they inherit it from us.

College loans are the biggest downfall. Secondly, getting a college degree in basket weaving and spending all the money to get it, will result in working stocking shelves at WalMart.

I took Engineering in the University and had a choice of a 4 or 5 year program. I took the 4 years and out. But I only took enough courses to maintain as a full time student. I made up the elective crap in Summer school, so I went 12 months a year. That allowed me the time to work a full time job second shift. Not real good money, but enough to pay my tuition in full and save a few bucks. When I graduated I had enough left to buy a brand new car.

I know a few kids that can see that way forward, but way too many are too lazy to work at all.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:12 PM   #32

Have them calculate the speed of the earth going around the sun. Similarly the speed of the earth's rotation at the equator. Eye opening and a practical application of math. Also, why rocket launches are as close to the equator as feasible.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 03:42 PM   #33

Wisdom from my dad:
There IS a free lunch - right over there in that rat trap.
Nobody owes you anything or cares about your precious self-esteem.
Don't know what to do with your life? The Military is hiring every day. If you let them, they'll give you everything you need for a happy, productive life.
Don't do drugs, or get anyone but your wife pregnant. Then you'll have a good chance of never having an issue with the law.
Practice the Golden Rule in everything you do.
Buy what you NEED with cash. If you use credit, always pay your bills on time.
Here's the biggie: Pray every day. God has the answers. You might sometimes disagree, but He's smarter than you.
Bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 04:02 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
Have them calculate the speed of the earth going around the sun. Similarly the speed of the earth's rotation at the equator. Eye opening and a practical application of math. Also, why rocket launches are as close to the equator as feasible.
All nice things to ask a university Engineering or Math student. But let's get real here. No sense to have kids learn that stuff when they can't even tell time on a clock, make change or know which side of the street to walk on.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:34 PM   #35

They are not terribly common but colleges with co-op programs with businesses are a wonderful thing. By the time you graduate you actually know stuff that will be useful to both you and your employer. I graduated with zero debt, a good job and an honest understanding of how the world works.
Mzellers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 04:35 PM   #36

Anger management, how to compromise without feeling taken advantage of, how to deal with frustration, Mental health issues.
Ljdt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 05:30 PM   #37

Whatever you decide to do in life, take some pride in how you do it.
ericloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 05:38 PM   #38

I do believe you are mistaken about this generation, ask any parent and they will reply the same way you just did. If you don’t believe me, just read the comments and you have triplets.
So if we all raised our children right, then who raised them wrong? The other guy? Your neighbor? Your relatives? The folk on the other side of the railroad tracks?
It’s never “our kids” right?
ericloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 05:55 PM   #39

Who balances a checkbook anymore? I’ve written less than 50 checks in the last 20 years. Anyone can Google how to balance a checkbook…it takes about 20 minutes to learn if you read slowly.

I’ve seen comments about checkbooks at least twice, maybe three times. Folks, it’s not rocket-science…
22Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 06:14 PM   #40

Grit
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote