Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2022, 09:18 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Everything they teach about history in school is not correct.
Since none of us were there, how do we know what's correct or not?
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:34 AM   #62
RPR

Extensively reading multiple books about history. Example: One of the main causes of the civil war was taxation without representation. Not caused by what is being feed to people today. The old saying:Tell someone the same thing enough and they will start to believe it.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 06:43 PM   #63

I didn't learn anything about college scholarships and I paid for my degree myself with no help and I did it without any debt. I was not only the first in the family to complete college but I was the first to complete high school and that is why I didn't seek out information. I had no intention of going to college but the Vietnam war got me there with no intention of finishing. I broke my back on the way to school and I couldn't do manual work so I had to finish college. I am now 74 but I was able to retire debt free at 55.
Sorento
CRV
osbornk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 10:11 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Extensively reading multiple books about history. Example: One of the main causes of the civil war was taxation without representation. Not caused by what is being feed to people today. The old saying:Tell someone the same thing enough and they will start to believe it.
I'm sure that different school districts have different policies, so I can only speak to what's taught in my local schools. My wife is a high school social studies teacher with 40+ years experience, so I may also have insider information.

"Taxation without representation" IS still being taught. But that's not the only cause as most of us old timers remember from our school days. Facts are not left out, nor are falsities added. What's different today is where the emphasis is put.

Regardless, what's upsetting to me is the premise that the USA is fundamentally bad. Kids are taught to hate America. Sure, Columbus and the Pilgrims did bad things, and Thomas Jefferson had slaves. Learn about that so we can look forward and not make the same mistakes. If the USA were so bad we wouldn't be inundated with millions of illegal aliens every day.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:38 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
I'm sure that different school districts have different policies, so I can only speak to what's taught in my local schools. My wife is a high school social studies teacher with 40+ years experience, so I may also have insider information.

"Taxation without representation" IS still being taught. But that's not the only cause as most of us old timers remember from our school days. Facts are not left out, nor are falsities added. What's different today is where the emphasis is put.

Regardless, what's upsetting to me is the premise that the USA is fundamentally bad. Kids are taught to hate America. Sure, Columbus and the Pilgrims did bad things, and Thomas Jefferson had slaves. Learn about that so we can look forward and not make the same mistakes. If the USA were so bad we wouldn't be inundated with millions of illegal aliens every day.
Nailed it. Probably because your wife IS a teacher, so you know. And even moreso, kids are being taught to think for themselves, think critically about cause/effect and right/wrong. There's a lot of people who are very, very afraid of that.
22Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 06:15 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Seneca View Post
Nailed it. Probably because your wife IS a teacher, so you know. And even moreso, kids are being taught to think for themselves, think critically about cause/effect and right/wrong. There's a lot of people who are very, very afraid of that.
Your reply was quite upsetting to me. I certainly hope that when you typed it you left the word "not" out.

The truth is that the kids today are NOT being taught to think and certainly are NOT taught right from wrong. They are taught to act like they "feel" because their emotions are what is important. They are being indoctrinated in liberal thinking, with no respect for the consequences.

The sad part is that they are taught to hate who they are.

Maybe Socrates was right all along. He was simply before his time....
Old 02-17-2022, 06:30 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
Your reply was quite upsetting to me. I certainly hope that when you typed it you left the word "not" out.

The truth is that the kids today are NOT being taught to think and certainly are NOT taught right from wrong. They are taught to act like they "feel" because their emotions are what is important. They are being indoctrinated in liberal thinking, with no respect for the consequences.

The sad part is that they are taught to hate who they are.

Maybe Socrates was right all along. He was simply before his time....
Well, I have teachers in my family, and I assure you they are being taught to think for themselves and to also think critically, and they are taught right from wrong, so you may choose to be upset if you wish. Over what, I'm not sure.

One thing that is very common with older generations is that they tend to look negatively on younger generations and they like to offer opinions on how other people's children should be raised. If they aren't your children, then .......
22Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 06:39 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Seneca View Post
Well, I have teachers in my family, and I assure you they are being taught to think for themselves and to also think critically, and they are taught right from wrong, so you may choose to be upset if you wish. Over what, I'm not sure.

One thing that is very common with older generations is that they tend to look negatively on younger generations and they like to offer opinions on how other people's children should be raised. If they aren't your children, then .......
I agree with what you have said, and certainly MY kids were taught that way, and certainly that's the way they SHOULD be taught. However, what's upsetting is that that's NOT the way things are going today. Maybe in YOUR district, but NOT in mine.

Yes, I'm an old fart. We live in the high rent district where there are very few problems with kids. MOST are honest respectable people and have parents that are involved, so that some of the liberal crap is being corrected at home. And yes, I DO have an opinion on how kids should be raised, and it looks like we share the same opinion.
Old 02-18-2022, 09:22 AM   #69

If I believed most of what I hear on the national news it would lead me to believe that our schools are teaching the kids to be bigoted racist that hate America. At least in my neighborhood I don’t find that is true. Antelope (California)is a very diverse middle class town. I’m within ear shot of our local elementary school playground and every morning (weather permitting) the vice principal leads the kid’s in the “ Pledged of allegiance “ , the same pledge that I said in 1959. Maybe I’m a little naive but I think I will chose to believe what I see and hear rather than what I’m being told. Are there teachers and school administrators that have no business teaching our kids anything ( in my opinion) ?Yep, but I also believe that the majority do the best they can given the tools they have.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 09:57 AM   #70

First many good points brought up in this thread. These may have already been brought up but
life is not always fair,
life is not always easy,
you don't always get what you want or even what you need,
bad things happen to good people sometimes in fact many times.
Wishing does you no good; most things take work/effort to attain or achieve.
Decisions have consequences and they aren't always good.
Buck up and deal with it, get off the pity pot and move forward.
And has been brought up previously treat everyone with dignity, respect and kindness, go by the golden rule.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote