Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 02:07 PM   #1

This one gives me chills

Suspect Befriended Family Before Texas Campsite Massacre: Cops - NBC News

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be careful out there folks. I camped all over this area when I was a kid, and even went back to a National Forest nearby a few months ago to camp with my family. This is just horrific, so please, everyone be careful out there.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Old 11-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #2

Wow, that's terrible.

Not sure how anyone can identify a lunatic like this though. Neighbors always say about these types later "oh and they were so quiet and kind, a really nice person". Only to find out how evil they really were. Look at his photo, if he was smiling I bet you wouldn't be able to pick him out in a crowd as being any different than anyone else.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Wow, that's terrible.

Not sure how anyone can identify a lunatic like this though. Neighbors always say about these types later "oh and they were so quiet and kind, a really nice person". Only to find out how evil they really were. Look at his photo, if he was smiling I bet you wouldn't be able to pick him out in a crowd as being any different than anyone else.
That's absolutely right IMO. You never know when something like this could happen, and it often comes from where you'd least expect it.

But what can get you into trouble here is complacency. Don't get too comfortable, and always watch your 6.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Old 11-19-2015, 07:32 PM   #4

Unbelievable what our world and country is coming to...
Old 11-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I noticed Hattie had also a link to this in another tread. After reading through the rest of the treads no one reacted on this. Thought you Americans are used to this in everyday life. Just "horrible" my heart goes out to the families of the people who lost their lives.

Here in Canada we had a few incidents like that happen too to RVers. An elderly couple is still not found. Pure evil.........
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
Old 11-20-2015, 04:37 AM   #6

You would think you would be pretty safe on private property...

I for one have recently felt very uneasy camping off-road by myself at one of my somewhat local NATL FOREST areas.

The last trip in particular I notice the back trail had more foot traffic on it then I have ever seen before. I'm starting to believe maybe some of these folks are living in this area due to hard times... I watched them walk down the trail and they didn't know I was there...

Never thought much about others folks you run into along the off-road trails but now that I am much older I am starting to think I might be an easy target for someone needing something...

My favorite spot is off the trail and not obvious but I really felt uneasy on my last trip up in the highlands of the VA/WVA wooded state line in the George Washington National Forest.

My radio equipment makes too much noise for me to be hidden haha

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
Old 11-20-2015, 07:14 AM   #7

Pay attention to your "Spidy sense". That is, if it doesn't feel right, go with your gut and get out.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #8
Site Team

Unfortunately every thing we hear or see is a crisis. It seems that we are bombarded each morning with the daily crisis here or somewhere in the world.

I'm sure lots of these things have been happening for all times but we were not exposed to every unfortunate event in the world instantly as we are now. Even the most compassionate and caring can get discouraged with it. The danger to our society is to become callous about loss of life in so many areas.

I don't know the answer but when we go camping, we like to shut it out as much as possible.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 11-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
I noticed Hattie had also a link to this in another tread. After reading through the rest of the treads no one reacted on this. Thought you Americans are used to this in everyday life. Just "horrible" my heart goes out to the families of the people who lost their lives.

Here in Canada we had a few incidents like that happen too to RVers. An elderly couple is still not found. Pure evil.........
No, we Americans are not used to this in everyday life. The violence in America is mostly limited to a few urban areas. Outside of those areas, you literally have a better chance of being hit by lightning than being killed by some random lunatic.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #10

How to improve your margin of safety? In my state it's called concealed carry.
I travel with a 9mm HK on my side and, for nighttime, a 12 Ga. Stoeger Coach SXS.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #11

Please pardon my "devil's advocate" stance while I show things from the perp's side for a moment....

Around 1992 (before cell phones were so ubiquitous), I had the opportunity to help a stranded woman fix the flat on her minivan.

As I was putting the tools away, she was so grateful, I got uncomfortable with how friendly she was becoming.

She was letting her guard down to a complete stranger, driving an old car and wearing decent clothes.

It took having to threaten her before she realized how vulnerable she was.

Then she kept her distance! And stopped trusting some random dude.

I finished putting things away and watched her drive off.

-----

Back to reality.

As bad as that low-life, rat-*******, sub-human-animal is... We all must be diligent and be aware that these 'people' are out there. That family did not.

As much as we want to protect ourselves without appearing aloof....

Unfortunately, serial killers don't come with warning labels.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
Old 11-20-2015, 09:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
I travel with a 9mm HK on my side and, for nighttime, a 12 Ga. Stoeger Coach SXS.
I use a firearm for protection of my family as well, but please, let's not turn this into a gun discussion and get the thread shut down.

Roy, I think your radio equipment might actually make you a harder target. It means you are communicating with someone, and that someone might bring a whole lot of other someone's to come looking for you. I'm betting most of those folks you see don't want that level of attention.

I get that we've been over sensitized to this stuff because of increased and instant availability of news, but a story like this reminds us to be vigilant when we're out there and vulnerable.

The most disturbing aspect of this story IMO is the motive. They have t said what that is yet. If someone wants what you have and they're desperate, I can understand. It's not right, but I understand it. This type of lunacy is much more terrifying though. It seems like this guy just wanted to kill some people; he's psychotic, and that unpredictability is hard to defend against.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
I for one have recently felt very uneasy camping off-road by myself at one of my somewhat local NATL FOREST areas. The last trip in particular I notice the back trail had more foot traffic on it then I have ever seen before. I'm starting to believe maybe some of these folks are living in this area due to hard times... I watched them walk down the trail and they didn't know I was there...
It is unfortunate, but beware because many National Forest and BLM areas are also "home" to illegal (but lucrative) pot farms: Mexican cartels running pot farms in U.S. national forest - CNN.com. It just isn't worth the risk ... this second link is along the south gateway entrance to Yosemite: 4 pot farms busted in Madera County | abc30.com. You certainly don't want to be in the way of the growers because "They're willing to kill anybody who gets in their way." Bottom-line? Be smart and just don't camp where there might be issues (of any type) ~ as they say, start by NOT putting yourself into a dangerous situation.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Old 11-20-2015, 04:13 PM   #14

We need a national right to carry law, since our government won't protect us, we have the right to protect ourselves.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
We need a national right to carry law, since our government won't protect us, we have the right to protect ourselves.
Not that I don't agree, but, in most states, your campsite that you're paying for is considered your home. You are allowed to carry concealed in your home without any kind of permit. I wouldn't test this in NJ or NY, though, since they have stringent requirements for people just wanting to own a gun, much less carry one.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #16

As frequent posting members of the Jayco Forum, we know all too well that any discussions (serious or in humor) relating to guns or weapons in regards to self-protection ultimately result in the thread closing. Regardless of our personal feelings or involvement (for either protection or sport), let's respect the 'ask' of others and make those postings into the more appropriate forums.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Old 11-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
As frequent posting members of the JayCo Forum, we know all too well that any discussions (serious or in humor) relating to guns or weapons in regards to self-protection ultimately result in the thread closing. Regardless of our personal feelings or involvement (for either protection or sport), let's respect the 'ask' of others and make those postings into the more appropriate forums.
That is correct, from past experience I can say that staff will shut it down if it continues.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:16 PM   #18
Site Team

Any time a thread drifts or is directed to this topic, it gets much interest from the moderators.
This is not the place to talk of this subject.

If you must do this on the internet, find another forum.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 11-24-2015, 08:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
Amen brother, the wife has a 357 and I have a 45
Old 11-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #20

As a NY'er concealed carry is very strictly regulated.

When camping, an Ithaca 12ga is kept within easy reach because 4 legged intruders are much more common than 2 legged ones.

Though, the snick-slap-clack of working the action is a deterrent beyond words....

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
Closed Thread