Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2016, 07:24 PM   #181

I have read the threads and have a couple comments. First, Airstream doesn't really have any competition so no need to change. They own the market and yes its a cult! Cults are okay as long as they don't hurt anyone... Second, all manufacturers will and are losing their identity just as we have seen all across America. Give it 5 more years and you wont be able to tell one brand from another (already hard to tell). They will all use the same frame, windows, trim, furniture and electronics. Innovation? Its all but gone! Big money controls everything and that is the way we roll here in the USA! We are now forced to accept what they offer so they can report large earnings to the share holders. Do you think quality/service will matter when Thor owns 100% of all manufacturers. Competition is what made this country and anyone who thinks two companies owning the rv market is good should think again. Do you honestly think the BIG three (cars) improved their product on their own? NOT!! It took the likes of Toyota, Honda and other foreign companies to make the monopoly change. Its all about the ROI and nothing else at his point. Some ask why so many individuals are upset... Maybe they actually care about Jayco and had hoped they would turn their quality problems around. The family did what was right for them and I'm sure they seen the writing on the wall. There is no place in America for a family run business that wants to build a quality product. They tried to compete and lost in my opinion. Quality suffered and they caved under pressure.
I forgot, some of you believe they will continue to run the company independently. What cloud do you have your head in?? You probably believe the politicians running for the White House actually care about you and the future of this country also. They will be gone within two years!! Wake up America! Its okay to actually say what you really think.
The company we all loved is gone and maybe it checked out a couple years ago.
BTW, my grammar/spelling sucks but I still have my pride and will never stop telling it like I see it. Don't knock those who have an opinion! Jayco may have had other options if everyone spoke up and manufacturers actually advertised/educated why we all should pay a little more for quality. Jayco had some nice products and a great following because they had an identity. What do they have now?
brianhawley66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:04 AM   #182

Agree!
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #183

Well said.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:09 AM   #184

I for one am not full of doom and gloom. I will take the "wait and see" approach. We own a 2013 Jayco and we'll see how things go in a couple of years.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:47 AM   #185

Brian,

Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhawley66 View Post
... There is no place in America for a family run business that wants to build a quality product. ...
It will be interesting to see what happens to Grand Design over the next few years.
Still an independent company but growing fast.
Will they get swallowed up by Thor or Forest River?
Old 07-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #186

THOR Industries buys out JAYCO !

Well guys, it looks like another one bites the dust!! Jayco "cop'd" out and sold their sole to Thor Industries which also has bought out other companies like Airstream, Starcraft, etc.. For the full story here's the URL.

The Sale of Jayco and What This Means for Consumers and Dealers

Question is.... Does this mean deals? Better after sale service? More service locations? More waiting time?....

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:22 AM   #187

We just took delivery of our first Jayco, and part of our decision was the fact that they were a family owned company. Their website literally had a video of the family history and roles that each member "currently" played in the company. That was just a couple months ago. They must've known even then that it was all a sham.

I can't say I wouldn't have purchased the same camper had I known then what I know now, but it was a feel-good decision knowing you were investing in a hard-working family versus a corporate juggernaut... Just a bit disappointing really. Guess we'll all see how it plays out, as each of us are many thousands of dollars invested and it's doubtful any would sell off they're beloved memory-makers over the news...
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
We just took delivery of our first Jayco, and part of our decision was the fact that they were a family owned company. Their website literally had a video of the family history and roles that each member "currently" played in the company. That was just a couple months ago. They must've known even then that it was all a sham.

I can't say I wouldn't have purchased the same camper had I known then what I know now, but it was a feel-good decision knowing you were investing in a hard-working family versus a corporate juggernaut... Just a bit disappointing really. Guess we'll all see how it plays out, as each of us are many thousands of dollars invested and it's doubtful any would sell off they're beloved memory-makers over the news...
We could see lies and deceit are just part of the times. But I don't think it's any different than it's ever been, except for 24/7 cable news!
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:31 AM   #189

LOL. Old news on this forum. The article you provided is a link to a "puff piece". It's all quotations seemingly from press releases from a major rv manufacturer. Doesn't say much for the magazine that prints such gobble dee gook.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:31 AM   #190

Yep, been well discussed over the last few days on a number of threads. According to Thor nothing is going to change. Management at Jayco remains, warranty remains, dealers etc. I would assume purchasing would be as one group, but, for now...nuttin is gonna change

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:54 AM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
That was just a couple months ago. They must've known even then that it was all a sham.
1) The family is still in charge of the day to day operations at Jayco.
2) THOR is a publicly traded company, there is no way Jayco would have tipped anyone off in advance of the papers being signed. It's not a sham.

People sure are nostalgic about Jayco . It's just an RV, and while they may have been top notch in the past, I don't see much to differentiate a modern Jayco from any other manufacturer at a similar price point. Materials are crap, assembly is crap, price is cheap. This is what consumers want.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:12 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootus View Post
1) The family is still in charge of the day to day operations at Jayco.
2) THOR is a publicly traded company, there is no way Jayco would have tipped anyone off in advance of the papers being signed. It's not a sham.

People sure are nostalgic about Jayco . It's just an RV, and while they may have been top notch in the past, I don't see much to differentiate a modern Jayco from any other manufacturer at a similar price point. Materials are crap, assembly is crap, price is cheap. This is what consumers want.
I wouldn't say I've had mine long enough to be nostalgic, but would I rather give my money to a privately owned company versus a large corporation? Absolutely I would! And I see your point about a publicly traded company, it's just how they advertise that they're a family owned business, enticing those of us who it'd make a difference to, up until the very end. It invokes a feeling of, short of a better word, betrayal. I get that it's a business and has to advertise, just do so knowing that those buying your product are buying it for the next decade or two, and if one of your selling points is that you're family owned, you should still be able to make that claim a month after advertising as such. They can't, which is unfortunate!

Just my moral opinion, not anything I'd argue in court.

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #193

Dang, I guess I was taking a nap when this originally happen.... "a day late and a dime short" !

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk51 View Post
Dang, I guess I was taking a nap when this originally happen.... "a day late and a dime short" !
In my case, it's more than a dime short, LOL.....
Gerard
Old 07-20-2016, 01:03 PM   #195

Gee.... Now we've gone from sham to betrayal?? Step away from the cliff folks. We purchased our Jayco because we liked the floor plan and the 2 year warranty. Family owned never entered in to our buying decision. Everyone has different reasons for buying. Maybe crabs should start a poll to see why folks bought their Jaycos'.
Gerard
Old 07-20-2016, 01:25 PM   #196

Who knows? Maybe Thor will try to improve the quality of the trailers going out the door through better manufacturing practices. Sending out crappy quality new trailers has to suck away a lot of profits because of all the warranty repairs needed. Seems like Jayco has always been focused on speed of manufacture, rather than quality of manufacture. With better management (if Thor will provide it), there could be a better balance between the two. A bit slower production, higher quality of build, and much more happy customers seems like the sensible thing to me.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:28 PM   #197

Family owned WAS one of the reason I came this direction. Sunnybrook / Mobile scout was private owned, left them when Winnebago bought and they got cheap. Bought Tiffin as they were family owned, only left them as we wanted out of class a Motorhomes. So, as hard headed as I am, I'll just get a custom build next time, or build my own. Very well capable and have the facility to do so. Family owned and run is something I would take a little pride in.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #198

What happens to the Jayco product's quality under the new ownership is still unknown. However, what is known is that Thor has eliminated one more competitor which is always bad for the consumer.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:25 AM   #199

Jayco Svc Mgr not worried about merger

I wanted to share with you an email I received from
Jayco's Service Manager regarding the Merger -

---
Good morning,

We are excited about the purchase and the opportunities it brings.
Thor believes in what we do and how we do it.

Sincerely,

Roger Johnson

---
Arniesports60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:27 AM   #200
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arniesports60 View Post
I wanted to share with you an email I received from
Jayco's Service Manager regarding the Merger -

---
Good morning,

We are excited about the purchase and the opportunities it brings.
Thor believes in what we do and how we do it.

Sincerely,

Roger Johnson

---
I wonder who signs his paycheck?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote