Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2016, 12:17 PM   #1

Thought about dealers

i know a lot has been discussed about dealers and their willingness to mislead or under-inform potential buyers on the GVWRs, tongue weights, etc. I had a different experience. My saleswoman asked what I would use as a TV. She then pulled a book filled with up to date specs for the various TVs on the market. She used the chart as a ballpark figure, made sure I understood the weights of passengers and gear and then used the yellow stickers on the TTs to show me what was reasonbly in my TVs capabilities. I really appreciated the thought the dealer seems to put into safety. They also have rules about not allowing certain TV/TT combos off the lot w/out break controllers or WDHs depending on the circumstances. Anyone else have a dealer put safety up front?
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:32 PM   #2

My dealer did not know/understand (or care) about axle weights or GVWR of my TV. Only weight they seemed to care about was max tow. The WDH and trailer brake on the other hand where a must. Illegal not to have them here, not sure if that's the same everywhere, but they wouldn't have let us tow off the lot without them.
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:41 PM   #3

Our dealer was conscientious too, and I'm glad they were because we were newbies and didn't fully understand everything at the time. We didn't get the detailed explanations that you did micron, but knowing what we had for a TV told us yes or no right away on certain rigs we inquired about.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:05 PM   #4

My dealer installed by weight distribution system completely wrong when I went to pick up my 27 RLS. They charged me additional 2 hours labor to install it which I refused to pay. They insisted for me to leave the TT until they had a chance to install it properly. I refused. After speaking to the manager of the dealership, we came to the understanding that he was going to eat the labor charge. Since it was only an hours drive from my home, I got it home and reinstalled the WD hitch (following the directions of course). Since then, a few minor warranty issues have come up and I have repaired them myself. I am fortunate that I have an RV service center close to my home who is not affiliated with any manufacturer but is able to handle all types of warranty work and can order parts as well. Nothing was ever mentioned during the sale about my tow vehicle being able to tow the TT safely, but I knew it would with no issues. On a scale of 1 to 10, I rate my dealer at -20.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:40 PM   #5

Interesting thread, being an Old RV guy. I retired from RV sales, I used an app on my I phone to verify TV before I ever showed the customer any towable. As for WD hitches I wouldn't let any customer take delivery without one. I didn't care if they bought here or somewhere else. I was in trouble with management many times when a customer showed for delivery with their own WD hitch.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:19 AM   #6

Too many dealers/salespeople just want your money with no care about your safety.. When you find one that does care STAY WITH THEM.. and tell your friends.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #7

Our dealers - the one we got our Jaycos from and the one we got our Forest River from - both cared about safety. They discussed weights, and sway bars and weight distributing hitches, too.
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron View Post
i know a lot has been discussed about dealers and their willingness to mislead or under-inform potential buyers on the GVWRs, tongue weights, etc. I had a different experience. My saleswoman asked what I would use as a TV. She then pulled a book filled with up to date specs for the various TVs on the market. She used the chart as a ballpark figure, made sure I understood the weights of passengers and gear and then used the yellow stickers on the TTs to show me what was reasonbly in my TVs capabilities. I really appreciated the thought the dealer seems to put into safety. They also have rules about not allowing certain TV/TT combos off the lot w/out break controllers or WDHs depending on the circumstances. Anyone else have a dealer put safety up front?
My dealer and I spent a lot of time talking safe towing, tow capacity and weight distribution in each of my TT purchases. I know they weren't real thrilled when we decided to tow our first TT with a 2009 Dodge Caravan, but it was just within safety margins and we were happy with it for distances under 50 miles.

Then when I upgraded to a new TT, having also upgraded my TV to an F150, we spent time again talking about having enough hitch and weight distribution capacity.

I was very happy with the service and support we got, and would recommend our dealer. They were very responsible.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
My dealer installed by weight distribution system completely wrong
Same here. I redid it completely after I white knuckled it home. I knew before hand that my truck was within spec to tow our Eagle but I got the impression from the salesman that if it had 4 wheels and an engine, it could tow anything on the lot. I don't dislike my dealership at all but I think a little more knowledge/training would go a long way.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:46 PM   #10

When we bought our first hybrid in '03 we had a mini-van. It worked out OK but within a year we got a Suburban. The salesman was an older guy and never said a word about weights or asked about what we had to tow with.

Fast forward to 2013, our X20E, and the same dealer. Younger guy was the salesman. He asked several times what I had for a tow vehicle. He looked at the yellow sticker on the trailer twice. It seemed to me to be a different mind set. Don't know if it was better training or what, but even though I knew what I was doing, he was checking too.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:22 PM   #11

My dealer asked about my TV (which was different than what I have now) and merely said to keep things light and drive slow. There wasn't any in depth discussion but he did acknowledge and let me know that I had a less than ideal TV (trailblazer).

One thing I've noticed on the forum - why is everyone so reluctant to name their dealer if they had a good experience there? I can understand not wanting to name a dealer in a negative post but if you have good things to say I think it might benefit the group to name them.

2022 33RBTS
howlin4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #12

GNR Camping World Winnipeg Manitoba. Highly recommend them. I've sent my friends but I do suggest you research your weights.
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlin4you View Post
One thing I've noticed on the forum - why is everyone so reluctant to name their dealer if they had a good experience there? I can understand not wanting to name a dealer in a negative post but if you have good things to say I think it might benefit the group to name them.
Sorry, good point. My happy experience was with Gayle Kline RV in Mountville, PA (right outside Lancaster).

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote