Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2022, 01:02 PM   #1

Unpleasant Experience this Past Week

We were on a mid-September camping trip that we finished up a couple of days ago. Visited some Ontario provincial parks and had a great time. First extended trip with the trailer and first one where we didn't have full hookups, just electricity, so I got to practice stopping at the fill station on the way in, and the dump station on the way out.

On the way out of one of the parks, while I was waiting my turn at the dump station, I watched the guy in front of me pull up, connect to the black tank, connected the flush and began the process. After a bit, he disconnected the black tank flush and continued to dump. After a bit more time, he checked to flow and from a distance, it appeared that he had finished as he started to unhook the hose from the trailer. It was at that point he realized that it had not finished, and liquid started to spray out of the loosened hose end. Now, I'm not sure why he didn't quickly close the valve; however, that was not in the cards. Attempting to tighten the hose back on failed, and the hose came completely off, sending a flowing stream of muck for a couple more minutes. We moved to the back of our trailer as the smell was not pleasant.

I'm sure that he was mortified at what happened, and he did a good job of spraying the area down, quickly leaving afterwards. I did go up and perform another good spray before I pulled up and started my process. It was a good reminder of two things - why I have a clear section of hose at the top to watch the flow (even if it is unpleasant) and to never unhook the hose without shutting off the valve.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 02:40 PM   #2
CAG

And also why I do not use the fresh water lines at these locations to fill a fresh water tank at any time. That entire area needed to be sprayed with chlorine and disinfected. Haz Mat situation. I hope someone notified the park service.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:16 PM   #3

Yikes!
Attached Images

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 08:33 PM   #4

At least they tried to clean up. I was at a CG years ago, the dump station was on a bad hill. The hole, was not recessed. There was TP, poo, and crude all over the place. It was nasty. Worse dump station I have ever scene.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 06:56 AM   #5

Been there…. But, I was the perp. Took of the cap off to put on the hose and learned my valve was stuck open. Couldn’t close the valve. Couldn’t get the cap on due to the rush/pressure of two days worth of tank. Hadn’t taken the the hose out yet, so that wasn’t an option. I cursed and danced around like a little girl avoiding the onslaught of blueish brown fluid and tissue. felt awful. Was out there hosing it down as best I could. I was inbound so I dumped again at the same spot the next day before we left and fortunately, the smell was minimal by then. I had a large bucket on standby this time, and later ordered a valve at the cap. This unit didn’t have one from the factory.

Unpleasant is an understatement.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 12:50 PM   #6

I couldn't figure out why my fitting was loose. Tried to dump anyways. I needed to power wash my Tevas after getting home. I had nightmares I didn't get it all cleaned between my toes.

That's when I learned to replace the rubber gaskets.