Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #1

Walking Your Way To Better Health!

Last summer I was about 175 lbs and I should be about 155. I already had a bike and a treadmill so I purchased a bowflex too. I also began to eat a lot better and drink a lot more water. By Halloween I was down to about 157 lbs and felt better. I began hearing compliments from friends and family about my weight loss which is awesome, especially from those people who didn't even know I began a healthier lifestyle. I kept a pedometer on and did my best to get 10,000 daily steps, sometimes I got up to 13,000!

An unexpected surgery on election day sidelined me for a few months and the holidays sidelined my healthier eating. :hihi: I gained a little weight back but not as much as I thought I would have. I was about 164 last week.

The past few days I have gotten back into my better routine and have gone for several 2.5 miles walks in the neighborhood. I'm already done to about 161 and dropping. I use two things to keep track of my activity. A pedometer and an app called mapmyfitness on my phone. The pedometer motivates me to get at least 10,000 daily steps. The mapmyfitness app is great because it keeps track of your routes. If you do the same route again then you can compare the two. I find it a great way to stay motivated!

Anyway, I wanted to see if you guys were interested in having some kind of informal contest. We could all post our daily number of steps in a thread and try to motivate everyone. This is the pedometer I use. It works really well and all I do is slip it in my pocket.

Anyone interested?

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Great job GM,
I retired last year and was also 20 lbs over weight.
We rescued a stray from the local SPCA.
She loves her daily walks. I walk her for 1 -1.5 hrs in the morning and wife does 1 hour in the evening.
We sometimes go together.
She loves the local parks with walking trails through the woods, up and down hills.

I lost 15 lbs in the 1st 3 months and she keeps me in shape.

Our dog motivates us because she waits patiently until after coffee, but then puts the pressure on lol

Wishing you continued success.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #3

Walking Your Way To Better Health!

Great job both of you's!
keep it up.
As I often say: "use it or lose it"
Very important to keep moving or we'll all seize up.
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #4

Awesome job to all! My wife did a "couch to 5k" program she downloaded from the app store and ran her 1st 5k race yesterday! She did awesome and finished in 35:04. So far she has lost about 15# and continues to lose weekly. I too run but am in better shape although I am still about 15# over weight. I have been running for a couple years off and on and did snowshoe racing with our son last winter so I finished the same race in 21:02. Our 16yo son is a bit faster...he came in 6th at 18:42 and he had an off day. Overall I am so proud of my wife that she is doing it and seeing results. Next race is in May during a camping trip!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
Awesome job to all! My wife did a "couch to 5k" program she downloaded from the app store and ran her 1st 5k race yesterday! She did awesome and finished in 35:04. So far she has lost about 15# and continues to lose weekly. I too run but am in better shape although I am still about 15# over weight. I have been running for a couple years off and on and did snowshoe racing with our son last winter so I finished the same race in 21:02. Our 16yo son is a bit faster...he came in 6th at 18:42 and he had an off day. Overall I am so proud of my wife that she is doing it and seeing results. Next race is in May during a camping trip!
Good job!

Today was the nicest day of the spring so far so I took to dog for a walk around the block. It's about 2.25 miles and I average about 39-40 minutes to complete it. I did it once today with the dog, dropped him off at home and had some water and then went back out again to do it again. All totaled, just over 4.5 miles according to my app. I'm a shade under 15,000 steps today which is by far the most I've even had since I got the pedometer.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote