Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #1

Watching temps at home

We have two freezers at home that I would like to monitor for both temperature and wall outlet voltage from my smart phone while we are away. Has anyone found a system that would do this? Would appreciate any help as we just came home to a Very stinky mess which turned out to be a faulty breaker rather than the 1947 International Harvester freezer which still works.
Thanks
Bill
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:31 PM   #2

You will probably keep your internet connection and WiFi at home while you are gone, correct? If so, there are a number of choices on Amazon and I'm sure many others if you search online.

In our situation, we won't have an internet connection in our TT. We will need a system that monitors temperature for our dogs and uses a cell phone connection for alerts. There are not very many of this type and they are more expensive.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:37 AM   #3

Google is your friend.

Here's a place to start your research.

We have no need to monitor our fridge and freezer, but we are starting to build a "smart home". I just put in a Ring doorbell and several smart bulbs. We'll be able to turn lights on and off at random and know who is approaching the front of our house. Some folks don't like technology, but in the wold we live in security is getting to be a necessity.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:02 AM   #4

I use Simplisafe as my home protection. Burglar, temp, water, motion sensors and smoke alarms.

For your purpose you could plug the Simplisafe home alarm unit into the same outlet. If it goes out for more than a reasonable time the system will send out a "no power" alarm to the main office and they will contact you or your alternates. Backup battery is rechargeable and works for days.

It has really worked for me as we winter in Florida and twice over the last 4 years we have had sump pump problems. When we got a "water" alert I called my son in town and he fixed it before there was damage.

I also have a low temp alarm in case we have a furnace failure.

Inexpensive at $15 a month, no contract so you can sleep it if you want to and you buy the parts you need for about $200 and install it yourself, which was easy.

The system works on internal cell phone so no internet needed or phone line.

You get a months service free if you are recommended by someone. If you don't have a relative or neighbor PM me and I will refer you for the discount.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:44 PM   #5

2X on Simplisafe. We do not have all of the options you have, but we like it. Our daughter uses it with cameras option for her convience store.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke4857 View Post
2X on Simplisafe. We do not have all of the options you have, but we like it. Our daughter uses it with cameras option for her convience store.

have had simple safe for a number of years. Being in Az when were gone we leave the AC on but set fairly high. I have two AC and hence two zones. I got their "freeze" sensors which also will tell you the current temperature, one for each zone. A couple years ago when checking I noticed one zone was a few degree's higher than it should be. My daughter checked the house and found that indeed one AC was not working...was able to get it repaired with no problem and no damage. I also get a text if a sensor were to trip, power goes off, or someone turns the system off or on.

Really like the system and yes, you can turn your monitoring on and off as often as you like with no additional cost.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Google is your friend.

Here's a place to start your research.

We have no need to monitor our fridge and freezer, but we are starting to build a "smart home". I just put in a Ring doorbell and several smart bulbs. We'll be able to turn lights on and off at random and know who is approaching the front of our house. Some folks don't like technology, but in the wold we live in security is getting to be a necessity.

The only issue I have with "smart homes" is, if you can get into your system from the internet, then so can someone else. I don't want someone to be able to turn my AC or heat up or down, turn lights on and off or fool with my whole system. As we know, nothing is secure, much like locks on doors....locks only keep honest people honest, does little if someone really wants to get in.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
The only issue I have with "smart homes" is, if you can get into your system from the internet, then so can someone else. I don't want someone to be able to turn my AC or heat up or down, turn lights on and off or fool with my whole system. As we know, nothing is secure, much like locks on doors....locks only keep honest people honest, does little if someone really wants to get in.
Install all your smart home items behind a VPN box. Next to impossible to hack into unless you give them your secure access info.

It is like a secure pipe between your laptop or smart phone and your smart home items.
Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:35 PM   #9

[QUOTE=Mustang65;739464]Install all your smart home items behind a VPN box. Next to impossible to hack into unless you give them your secure access info.

It is like a secure pipe between your laptop or smart phone and your smart home items.
Don

I understand, but if someone wants to get in they will. Plus, since we travel for 4 to 6 months at time, we don't leave the internet connected year round, so it's a moot point. Also I don't want cameras that, as we have seen lately, are monitoring you 24/7 even when off. I don't want anyone collecting "data" on my conversations. New sensors "learn" when your home and your habits....perhaps some don't mind that intrusion, but I do.. All those items are just a line into your home, if I wouldn't allow those companies into my home why would I allow their devices into my home to "spy" on me and my "habits". Even knowing they would "Never" use that information except to "help" me. I mean, google is very trustworthy, as is Amazon or Facebook or or or..

Happy Camping !