Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2020, 08:13 PM   #7881

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Caulked all of the seams in the front overlapping aluminum siding with clear Proflex RV. Then went down both sides of the two front edge strips, fridge vent, pass-through storage doors and running light housings. They actually all looked pretty good, but I figured this will fill any little cracks and provide a little peace of mind!

Hmm, hadn’t heard of doing this. Is there something I missed?

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:19 PM   #7882

I did some more relaxed de-winterization and sanitized the water system. Also tested out the water heater and as a cherry on the top of things, I cleaned out the filter of my water pump. Considering I was always on city water, this was the first time I have used the tank and pump (it was winterized when I bought it and the service center de-winterized and winterized it last year). Found some interesting gunk!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1971.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	58111
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1972.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	58112

I also tried to fix a dent in the very top of the cap with a paintless dent repair kit but didn’t have any luck. Didn’t see any marks that caused the dent, I think someone leaned on it at some point in time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1968.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	58113

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 04-25-2020, 11:18 PM   #7883

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby View Post
Hmm, hadn’t heard of doing this. Is there something I missed?
Although I’ve never had any leak problems, even towing in the rain, some on the forum have done this for good measure. Figured it can’t hurt and I have the time. Taped it off with blue painter’s tape — with clear caulk it’s not noticeable.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:53 AM   #7884

Today is replace the water heater anode day. I have one and it will be done right after I finish my second cup. The water is running now with the power off to remove most of the hot water so when I take the anode out I don't get a bit of a burn.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:38 AM   #7885

Quote:
Although I’ve never had any leak problems, even towing in the rain, some on the forum have done this for good measure. Figured it can’t hurt and I have the time. Taped it off with blue painter’s tape — with clear caulk it’s not noticeable.
This is on my to do list. I'm one who has experienced a little water ingress in the front after towing in the rain.
Brad81987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #7886

I long ago stopped underestimating the tiny places water can get into. Figured it was cheap insurance. Pretty simple job.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 04-26-2020, 02:07 PM   #7887

Quote:
I long ago stopped underestimating the tiny places water can get into. Figured it was cheap insurance. Pretty simple job.
True. More sealant to buy...

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 04-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #7888

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
Repacked the bearings after sitting still for 174 days.

My story on which method:
A pro can do it the old fashioned way in 4 hrs or maybe less, but 6 hrs for me, I added two hrs for complications and excess grease cleanup of EQ wet bolt mechanism encountered over two days in 90 deg weather on my 54 year old 230 lb IPA fed frame, still feeling the effects. I need another beer now thinking about it this.

This marks the 4th round, with the 3rd & 4th done the old fashioned way, with 7,605 mi/13 mos, when we arrived home back on 11/4. There was hardly any evidence of dirt contamination in the red tacky Lucas grease that was last used. It all looked very clean and fresh, very little dirty spots.

So the old frequency question comes up of 12 months or 12k miles? I was told by the Rv tech who did the first repack at 7,306 mi/5 mos, “I don’t care if you tow 5 or 500 mi every day, repack your bearings every 12 mos-and do it the old fashioned way.” He saw the new bearings from the disc brake install, and said 3 wheels had bad bearings from the castle nuts being over tightened. He gave them back to me showing burn marks on them. I was 1200 miles from the installers at the time, and it didn’t matter anyway
Fast forward to round 2, I slowly pumped nearly a whole tube of red No2 Mystik JT6 into each EZ lube zerk fitting and saw the old black streaks in the grease sausage finally (after 100+ pumps)coming out each well until clean under an Rv friend’s suggestion and supervision. He’s done it that way for many years on his 5er and never had a problem.

Fast forward 3400 mi/4 mos, we suffer a disc brake failure near Ft Wayne IN, 9/20/18, it is un-related. After 2.5 yrs/25K mi, all 5 axle flange bolts to the LF caliper arm fell out and the hydraulic brake hose to the caliper broke away losing all trailer brakes...very luckily while pulling into an interstate rest area at 15 mph! I ended up performing the disc brake repair, which took me four days at the campground to discover the installers didn’t properly torque the caliper arm nuts to axle flange. All 5 on the opposite side were completely loose, as were all ten nuts on the rear axle needed extra torquing to get to 24lb/ft for grade 5 fine. I then discover two failed grease seals and grease was caked all over the inner rotor hubs and inner wheel rims. So with this, I vowed to never take the easy way out repacking bearings again after that big event. The bearings do need to be visually inspected for added safety.

AND along with that...Another reminder for those DIYers whenever repacking bearings on disc brake installs, check the torque on all 20 nuts on the caliper arms. I have upgraded the 3/8” bolts to grade 8 fine(6 ticks on the boltheads) and grade 8 locknuts and still used blue lock tite. I checked them this time at 34 lb/ft setting and about 6-7 did turn an 1/8 turn before clicking of the wrench. All the rest were tight. I should’ve painted those that turned with a nail polish mark for reference next time.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:59 PM   #7889

Changed out a light switch, white one to brown, removed canister water filter and installed pex pipe. Installed digital Coleman/Mach thermostat. Installed Trik-L-Start. Good day to get stuff done, just waiting to see if campgrounds open at all this year....
Gord60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:03 PM   #7890

Looked at it still trapped in the dealership storage lot, as my teenager was taking me on a driving lesson.

I am not sure the warranty would have gone faster pre-covid, but it sure isn't going faster now.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:07 PM   #7891

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Looked at it still trapped in the dealership storage lot, as my teenager was taking me on a driving lesson.

I am not sure the warranty would have gone faster pre-covid, but it sure isn't going faster now.

Your teenager is giving you a driving lesson?
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #7892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Opened it up and turned on the AC...but it wouldn’t come on! I’m now trying to figure out why I can get the compressor to run if the t-stat is on “run” but not when it’s on “auto”. I’m leaning to a bad t-stat because once the set temperature is reached, and the compressor shuts off, it won’t come on again if I lower the temperature.

These crappy Coleman Mach thermostats are pricey if you need a black one with furnace and heat pump!

I’d know I’d be fuming if the a/c didn’t perform. Sorry to hear that woe. Let us know what you find out what fixed it.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Old 04-26-2020, 05:56 PM   #7893

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelO View Post
Your teenager is giving you a driving lesson?
He might think so, but is more like a horror ride at the amusement park.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:44 PM   #7894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dskyward View Post
I’d know I’d be fuming if the a/c didn’t perform. Sorry to hear that woe. Let us know what you find out what fixed it.

Darin,

I don’t know what is going on with the AC! It didn’t work for me in our driveway but we are “camping” at our friends property and of course the AC is working fine now! Maybe it was getting some cabin fever from being home for too long and once it got out in the woods it decided to work normally again.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:47 PM   #7895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Darin,

I don’t know what is going on with the AC! It didn’t work for me in our driveway but we are “camping” at our friends property and of course the AC is working fine now! Maybe it was getting some cabin fever from being home for too long and once it got out in the woods it decided to work normally again.

That is weird, Tom. Glad it’s working again. I know what you mean. Our kitchen slide switch went dead at a campground in N TX upon leaving for home here, 1 hr later took the panel off wiggled the switch blades on back and it’s working again. Stay safe.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:30 AM   #7896

Changed the oil and filter, inspected air filter in my Onan 5500 EVAP.

All looks good and works great. 560 hrs.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:21 AM   #7897
Site Team

Cleaned all 3 slide out tops and awnings. Scrubbed with a brush and mop using a extension pole and awning cleaner followed by car wash soap and a good rinse.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:28 AM   #7898

Bought the countertop for the kitchen area, bought more paint, bought the new toilet, bought our electric bikes and the doggy pull behind stroller. Gearing up. This year's going to be epic. 2020 has already been so horrible. Only one way....UP
S.H.M.I.L.Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:40 PM   #7899

Took it in to have the bearings packed and brakes checked. I sanitized the water system yesterday and reinforced some thin, sagging shelves in the bathroom vanity. Just waiting now.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:22 PM   #7900

Since it was winterized when I bought our '17 Eagle HT used last January in Boise, I got it out today and went through the process of getting all the anti-freeze out of it and making sure all the plumbing works as it should. It does, but I was really disappointed to find the black tank had not been cleaned.......yuck. Of course the dealer said it had been. Wasn't a huge deal, just didn't expect it and took a lot more time than I anticpated.

Next year it will not get that anti-freeze in it and I will just blow out the lines like I have been doing with all my RV's for years. Unless of course we can fulfill our plans on moving to southern Alabama which is on hold with this virus. Don't think it will need winterizing there.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote