Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2020, 06:06 AM   #8121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Wow Dan....your trip to Yellowstone really took a toll on the trailer.

But I’d do it again in a heartbeat!
Old 07-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #8122

Cleaned Melbourne

Today was cleanup day after a week in Manatee Hammock Campground in Titusville Fl. This is a really nice campground directly across the river from Kennedy Space Center.
Larrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:50 PM   #8123

Couple weeks ago I replaced the propane hoses to the regulator. Thought they were cracked or leaking do to smell of propane, even though i couldn’t locate leak with soapy water.

While on a weekend getaway this weekend I noticed a smelly aroma in the trailer. It was the smell of propane! Figured out the regulator/changeover was malfunctioning allowing propane to escape out the bottom vent. No wonder couldn’t find the leak before! So I ordered a new one from Amazon and replaced. No more smelly propane odors.

Didn’t take a picture because old one and new one look identical. Guess it never happened [emoji23]

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:11 PM   #8124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Couple weeks ago I replaced the propane hoses to the regulator. Thought they were cracked or leaking do to smell of propane, even though i couldn’t locate leak with soapy water. While on a weekend getaway this weekend I noticed a smelly aroma in the trailer. It was the smell of propane! Figured out the regulator/changeover was malfunctioning allowing propane to escape out the bottom vent. No wonder couldn’t find the leak before! So I ordered a new one from Amazon and replaced. No more smelly propane odors. Didn’t take a picture because old one and new one look identical. Guess it never happened [emoji23]
Tom, I purchased this propane detector. Works real well and pinpoints the source of the leak. I saved my BIL's bacon with it once.

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Detec...dDbGljaz10cnVl
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:03 PM   #8125

Thanks Al. I need to have something like that on hand.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:18 PM   #8126

Put it through some unintentional “backing up practice.” Followed a long narrow road to a state park for a picnic on the way to our RV spot. No warning not to take RVs. Found the parking lot full and halfway around it became too tight to keep going and come back out. So, with the aid of two awesome guys as spotters, I was able to back around almost 360 degrees in between cars and get out. Whew! On the way out I did flag down a motor home and saved her from the same or worse fate.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #8127

Useless "Teddy Bear" mattresses

Today, we took out the ridiculously uncomfortable OEM mattresses, to make way for the shiny new, custom-made ones that are being delivered on Wednesday !

Finally got fed up with all the rigmarole of mattress toppers, air beds, etc, etc, bit the bullet, and wrote the check to get some made, to fit our individual requirements ( I prefer a really firm mattress, maybe just a couple of notches down from sleeping on a plank, whereas the Lady from Little Rock tends more to the "drowning in marshmallow" feel)

We have a hybrid, with the fold-up bunk ends, so the mattresses have to fold in the middle, which made it harder to find off-the-shelf replacements - plus, of course "camper" sizes aren't the same as anyone else's.
We took our problem to a local bedding shop who rose to the challenge (for a price...)... I look forward to being able to report on how well they did, soon !

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:50 PM   #8128

Replaced the City Water Inlet. Discovered on our trip a couple weeks ago that it was no longer allowing water to flow into the system. Fortunately I have pretty good access to the backside of the inlet so only took about 30 minutes to complete.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #8129

Watched my floor rip

Opened my L/R slide and it grabbed the floor and ripped a 12 inch triangle out of the floor. The floor had a slight bubble in it. Thought it was from the heat. After it ripped the wood floor underneath was wet. Must be wicking up water from underneath. This RV is turning out to be the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned.
rndsommer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:34 PM   #8130

Replaced the water pump this afternoon...just now finished! The pump runs, but will not shut off. I have to have an air leak somewhere, but I'll be darned if I can't find it! It's not at any of the connections to the pump and I checked all the lines to the faucets inside and I checked for tightness on the back of the wet bay connections! I can't hear or feel any air anywhere...I'm completely stumped!

On the bright side...I know how the last pump died! It kept running after a bathroom break and someone (the DW) forgot to turn it off.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:56 PM   #8131

Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Replaced the water pump this afternoon... I can't hear or feel any air anywhere...I'm completely stumped!

Me too...Why would your WATER pump be pumping AIR? Fresh water tank loose something?
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:00 PM   #8132

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblast523 View Post
Me too...Why would your WATER pump be pumping AIR? Fresh water tank loose something?
Well it's gotta be losing pressure somewhere. It's supposed to shut off when it reaches 55psi. It has great pressure when I turn on the wet bay hose, but has some air mixed in with the water. But, like I said...the pump just keeps running and doesn't shut off. So pressure has to be escaping in some form or fashion. I can find no wetness anywhere, so I figure it's gotta be leaking air somewhere? Is my thinking wrong? Edit: Or maybe I mean sucking air?? I'm tired...sorry!
Old 07-14-2020, 09:13 PM   #8133

Check you valves

Quote:
But, like I said...the pump just keeps running and doesn't shut off. So pressure has to be escaping in some form or fashion. I can find no wetness anywhere, so I figure it's gotta be leaking air somewhere? Is my thinking wrong?

First guess would be either winterizing valve or supply hose from the tank. Is it pressurizing any at all? What I found was unless there is water in the line and it is not sufficient to get downstream, the pump will run forever. When I installed a cartridge filter in line with the pump I found the small screw on pump filter cover loose, as well as three of four screws loose that held the pump to the sidewall compartment. I moved it to the floor, straightened a couple of kinks out of the reinforced vinyl flex lines and we were all good. Part of the filter install included a pressure gauge which shows 58 lbs on pump, 60 on city water with regulator.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:21 PM   #8134

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblast523 View Post
First guess would be either winterizing valve or supply hose from the tank. Is it pressurizing any at all? What I found was unless there is water in the line and it is not sufficient to get downstream, the pump will run forever. When I installed a cartridge filter in line with the pump I found the small screw on pump filter cover loose, as well as three of four screws loose that held the pump to the sidewall compartment. I moved it to the floor, straightened a couple of kinks out of the reinforced vinyl flex lines and we were all good. Part of the filter install included a pressure gauge which shows 58 lbs on pump, 60 on city water with regulator.
It's definitely pressurizing! I can shoot a good stream from the wet bay hose with the pump running! I just went out and moved the switches to winterize with pump. I hooked up the hose and stuck the other end in a pitcher of water. I can hear the pump running, but it's not sucking any of the water. I also tried the wet bay switches on sanitize fresh water tank via pump and it wouldn't suck any water from the pitcher. So at this point I'm guessing somethings going on with those switches and maybe that's where my leak is?? I'll check on those tomorrow with some day light, some hydration and hopefully a fresh brain!
Old 07-15-2020, 12:28 PM   #8135
Site Team

Ceiling fan quit last night. Replaced the 3 speed switch from Lowes this morning.
$5.00 bucks!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:07 PM   #8136

Took her into RV shop at 8am, picked up at 4pm. Had wet bolts installed, bearings checked and greased with new seals, and brakes adjusted. I supplied Morryde wet bolt kit. Little surprised at the $520 bill but most of it was labor at $119 per hour. Glad it's done after 9000 miles but with Covid 19 we have no place to go....but still looking.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:11 PM   #8137

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
Took her into RV shop at 8am, picked up at 4pm. Had wet bolts installed, bearings checked and greased with new seals, and brakes adjusted. I supplied Morryde wet bolt kit. Little surprised at the $520 bill but most of it was labor at $119 per hour. Glad it's done after 9000 miles but with Covid 19 we have no place to go....but still looking.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Your $119 per hr rate is sure better than the $145 I paid ours a couple weeks ago.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:21 PM   #8138

Had Discount put the new tire on the rim, removed the spare and put the new tire on the 5er. Put the spare back under the rear, organized the basement for our FL trip this weekend, put the bike racks on, and made sure all the tire pressure was mostly equal.

Oh and I found the leak that was causing the water pump to run...it was one of the O-Rings that needed replacement.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:24 PM   #8139

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
Your $119 per hr rate is sure better than the $145 I paid ours a couple weeks ago.
Boy it sure is! Guess I found me a good RV shop in Albuquerque. Tom's RV Shop if anyone is interested. Tom's is highly recommended by fellow RVers.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:51 PM   #8140

Quote:
...Oh and I found the leak that was causing the water pump to run...it was one of the O-Rings that needed replacement.
Congrats Dan. That must’ve felt good when you finally discovered the source!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote