Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2021, 07:28 PM   #8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Like everyone with a 2013-14 Eagle (or any brand with the brown painted front cap), mine was badly faded/oxidized. But mine didn't start fading until about 3-1/2 years after production, so I was too late for Jayco to cover repainting and decaling. At about 4 years after production, I decided to put a polyurethane clear-coat overtop. Bought a can of Rust-Oleum high gloss poly spray, and sprayed it on. It did make a big difference . . . at first. But after about 2 years the poly began to flake off, and that looked even worse than it did from the fading. And the fading had progressed to the point where everything above the mountain decal was a medium taupe color - fading to almost white at the top.

So on Friday, I got out the rubber sanding block and some ultra-fine Emory Cloth, and sanded off all the polyurethane that was left - and roughed the painted surface. (Did it by hand to give me more control on the areas around the decals.) After 4 hours, I thought it looked decent, so gave it a quick spray of water with the garden hose, and toweled it dry. Yesterday, I got out the recently-purchased 10" electric buffer/polisher. I put on a coat of Meguiar's Scratch-X polishing compound, and worked it in to to the entire front cap to bring back the color and shine. I polished that off and gave it another bath. Then, I applied a thick coat of Meguiar's Carnauba wax in sections, let it dry to a haze, and polished the haze off each section. Finally, I gave the entire front cap a final buffing. It took another 6 hours, but I think the result was worth the time! It's not quite a shiny as the original finish (more of a satin finish than a high-gloss), but it certainly looks better than it has for the last 4 years. I'm happy with it . . . what say you?
Looks great Brownie, I'll be bringing you my 2012 Eagle so you can do it next, lol.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:25 PM   #8742

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Like everyone with a 2013-14 Eagle (or any brand with the brown painted front cap), mine was badly faded/oxidized. But mine didn't start fading until about 3-1/2 years after production, so I was too late for Jayco to cover repainting and decaling. At about 4 years after production, I decided to put a polyurethane clear-coat overtop. Bought a can of Rust-Oleum high gloss poly spray, and sprayed it on. It did make a big difference . . . at first. But after about 2 years the poly began to flake off, and that looked even worse than it did from the fading. And the fading had progressed to the point where everything above the mountain decal was a medium taupe color - fading to almost white at the top.

So on Friday, I got out the rubber sanding block and some ultra-fine Emory Cloth, and sanded off all the polyurethane that was left - and roughed the painted surface. (Did it by hand to give me more control on the areas around the decals.) After 4 hours, I thought it looked decent, so gave it a quick spray of water with the garden hose, and toweled it dry. Yesterday, I got out the recently-purchased 10" electric buffer/polisher. I put on a coat of Meguiar's Scratch-X polishing compound, and worked it in to to the entire front cap to bring back the color and shine. I polished that off and gave it another bath. Then, I applied a thick coat of Meguiar's Carnauba wax in sections, let it dry to a haze, and polished the haze off each section. Finally, I gave the entire front cap a final buffing. It took another 6 hours, but I think the result was worth the time! It's not quite a shiny as the original finish (more of a satin finish than a high-gloss), but it certainly looks better than it has for the last 4 years. I'm happy with it . . . what say you?
If you don't use automotive clear coat, you'll be right back there again soon. Clear paint isn't clear coat. Waxes and polishes are not hardened UV protection. Those go on top of real clear coat.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:45 PM   #8743

Gave the big girl a much needed bath. Washed the roof as well.

Gave the sides a coat of spray wax, did a sealant and a coat of wax on front cap and rear.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4152.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	68928

Name:	IMG_4154.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	68929

Name:	IMG_4156.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	68930

Name:	IMG_4153.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	68931

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:48 PM   #8744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Gave the big girl a much needed bath. Washed the roof as well.

Gave the sides a coat of spray wax, did a sealant and a coat of wax on front cap and rear.
Attachment 68928
Attachment 68929
Attachment 68930
Attachment 68931

Looks good Tom! I did mine yesterday (& the TV), but I didn’t take any pics, so I didn’t post about it...all because of your rule!

I did find 2 small holes up on the roof after I cleaned it...2 small patches of Eternabond and she’s as good as new!
Old 03-13-2021, 06:00 PM   #8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Looks good Tom! I did mine yesterday (& the TV), but I didn’t take any pics, so I didn’t post about it...all because of your rule!

I did find 2 small holes up on the roof after I cleaned it...2 small patches of Eternabond and she’s as good as new!

Thanks Dan

Did the truck the other day but didn’t take pics. So it must not have happened [emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787]

Somehow my roof was in good shape. Didn’t even have to do any Dicor touch up

Old 03-13-2021, 06:04 PM   #8746

Talking

You guys are both doing way too much stuff........you need to slow down some so the rest of us can catch up.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:06 PM   #8747

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
You guys are both doing way too much stuff........you need to slow down some so the rest of us can catch up.

Jack

I’m actually trying to get caught up from the months of slacking off lol

Old 03-13-2021, 06:07 PM   #8748

Quote:
Jack

I’m actually trying to get caught up from the months of slacking off lol

You and me both!
Old 03-13-2021, 07:16 PM   #8749

Since we've had some nice sunny weather the last few days I was able to get a number of items out of the way in preparation for the first trip out:

- Inspected and touched up as needed all roof and sidewall caulking
- Washed and waxed the whole unit
- Replaced anode rod in the hot water tank
- Scrubbed everything inside down
- Reorganized the front pass-thru and rear under-bunk storage
- Energized both the Solar and DC-DC Victron Charger controllers and applied the latest firmware updates.

Ready to start loading everything up....
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:08 PM   #8750

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
Nice wash and wax job, Tom. Still shines like new! We’re getting hammered by wind now and rain soon here at Belton Lake.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:23 AM   #8751

Thanks Darin. The rear is getting a little faded and doesn’t quite shine like it used to. Next time I’m going to get the DA polisher and some compound to try to bring it back.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:04 AM   #8752

Topped off air pressures in tires, stocked pantry, made bunk beds, washed awning, cleaned shower, GEO method for black tank, loaded fridge.
Between all that I also fell a 130ft+ tree, repaired a chain link fence, staged some things to load Wed., smoked a pork butt, started some boiled peanuts an dealt with my truck yesterday.
I think I may take today off.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:59 AM   #8753

Played the catch the mice and find the entry point game! Caught a couple but still looking for the entry point!!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:03 AM   #8754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Topped off air pressures in tires, stocked pantry, made bunk beds, washed awning, cleaned shower, GEO method for black tank, loaded fridge.
Between all that I also fell a 130ft+ tree, repaired a chain link fence, staged some things to load Wed., smoked a pork butt, started some boiled peanuts an dealt with my truck yesterday.
I think I may take today off.
Just reading your post makes we want to take the day off
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:13 AM   #8755

Inspected the front cap for hail damage, again.
Wineguard G3 portable sat system & H24 receiver
2013 Harley Triglide
2 Yorkies
cbeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:25 AM   #8756

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
Quote:
Thanks Darin. The rear is getting a little faded and doesn’t quite shine like it used to. Next time I’m going to get the DA polisher and some compound to try to bring it back.

Whoa. That’s saddening to hear. Usually the front cap is the first to suffer (simply because of wind/dust/sand friction due to towing) and the angle to the sun accelerates oxidation. I wax it twice a year. But where the top of the front cap meets the rubber roof, I’m totally amazed the entire surface is still extremely shiny...given I can’t reach that portion to wax from the 8’ ladder! Our rear wall still appears in good shape after almost five years. The whole rig was waxed for the first time last Oct. However, I don’t know when I’ll be able to walk the roof again. It’s to slippery from the application of Camco’s 1-2 roof treatment at that time. I still slide on all fours even trying to go forward up the slope from the ladder.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 11:03 AM   #8757

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dskyward View Post
Whoa. That’s saddening to hear. Usually the front cap is the first to suffer (simply because of wind/dust/sand friction due to towing) and the angle to the sun accelerates oxidation. I wax it twice a year. But where the top of the front cap meets the rubber roof, I’m totally amazed the entire surface is still extremely shiny...given I can’t reach that portion to wax from the 8’ ladder! Our rear wall still appears in good shape after almost five years. The whole rig was waxed for the first time last Oct. However, I don’t know when I’ll be able to walk the roof again. It’s to slippery from the application of Camco’s 1-2 roof treatment at that time. I still slide on all fours even trying to go forward up the slope from the ladder.

Mine is getting faded by the sun due to where it’s parked. It gets morning sun straight on. It’ll probably only take some cleaner/wax but I don’t have any...only spray waxes and compound. I don’t treat my roof for fear of it being too slippery. I may experiment on a section of the roof with some 303.

Old 03-14-2021, 12:21 PM   #8758

Replaced Batteries

Replaced my two dealer installed 12v group 24 batteries with two Trojan Group 30H (a tad bigger than group 31) 220 AH commercial batteries. Placed them on top of Megaware Battery shock absorber pads. They are holding 13.3 volts on my inverter display as opposed to only 12.1 volts on the group 24's.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Trojan Batteries.jpg  
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:20 PM   #8759

Nice upgrade Al!

Old 03-16-2021, 06:44 PM   #8760

I went down to my storage facility to test my new rear view camera before mounting. I took my lawnmover battery with me for a 12 volt source to power the camera. Then I used painters tape to secure the little camera and bracket on the top rear wall of my camper where I'm going to put it. Then I connected the 12v to the camera, plugged in the monitor in my truck and after 2 seconds got a very clear picture! This is a wireless product and it's made in China but the quality seems very good. The brand name is Yakry and the cost was $100. Mind you, the monitor was in the front seat of my F-250, 46' away from the camera. No booster required for me but if needed they will ship you one for free. My plan is to obtain 12v power from my center marker light but a little dilemma is do I remove the marker light and put the camera in it's place or mount the camera above the marker light and run the wires underneath the bottom of the light. I'll figure it out once I pull the light. Wow, this is a lot of typing.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote