Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2023, 10:12 PM   #10281

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNelson View Post
A week ago we were leaving a campground and the back of the slide wouldn't move even though we could hear the motor running. YouTube to the rescue. Slide that motor up to disengage it from the coupling connecting it to the drive shaft going to the lower gearbox. When home discovered that the drive shaft had slipped down and wasn't connected to the couple and motor. Found a great YouTube video showing how to disassemble the unit and found the driveshaft crimp that was supposed to keep it from slipping down was not holding. A few smacks with a chisel created new crimp areas. Put it back together and now it works like new.

Oh, the other thing I learned from the video that although Lippert know advises to not lubricate the slide mechanism the repair technician who made the video says lubrication is critical to keep the parts from binding. As Lippert used to recommend the tech said use only CRC Power Lube Industrial High Performance Lubricant With PTFE! I will frequently lubricate our two Schwintek slides from now on.
Do you have the links to those videos and could you share them please?
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 02:56 PM   #10282

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Replaced the LED light over the kitchen sink that went kaput at the beginning of the last trip. Got two OEM replacements for $18 on Amazon and now I have a spare for when the next one dies. Easy swap, but there was no slack in the wires. I pulled as hard as I dared but only got it about an inch out of the bottom of the cabinet. Not a big deal and good to go. I used spade connectors in case I ever have to replace it again.
Did you leave those spade connectors open like that when you stuffed the wires back up? My luck, they'd touch and I'd get a short...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 03:41 PM   #10283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Did you leave those spade connectors open like that when you stuffed the wires back up? My luck, they'd touch and I'd get a short...
No, I snapped the photo before I taped them up real good. But thanks for noting that — I have the same luck as you!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 06:14 PM   #10284
Site Team

Not today, but yesterday I removed the one wet bolt that wouldn't take grease. I thought maybe it was plugged, or not drilled right. Re-installed it with the hole at a different angle, and all is well now.

Today, I ache in places I didn't know I had! Getting old is a bummer, but the alternative isn't good at all.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 07:16 PM   #10285

Installed a long reach entry grab bar. Only had to drill one extra hole. The other holes lined up with the old grab bar.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
Mark5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 07:21 AM   #10286

Our 24B has become our base of operations on our country property until we have another option. Since we're in Texas, we wanted to help the single A/C out, so ran a mister line in front of the intake fan. Helps quite a bit.

Took off the WatchDog surge protector too, as it seems for mini-brownouts, it does not turn itself back on and we lost everything in the fridge. Before you ask - yes - we tested everything and it wasn't an issue within the camper. Electric company changed out the transformer on Monday, so hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Next project is to make a small shelf that spans the gap between the back of the U-shaped dinette to the dinette table to give us a bit more open storage space.

Am looking forward to having a bit more space to house all the 'stuff' that comes with stationary living, but even moreso to get back on the road with the 24B!!!
1985 Champion SuperFisher
Mjliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 11:06 PM   #10287

Not 100% for the RV. Installed a new 50' compressed air reel from the ceiling of the garage to make topping of the tires much easier. Way nicer than the old 25' that always leaked air from the rotary union.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 10:42 AM   #10288

Got up early before it got hot. Started resealing the roof on my 2017 GrayHawk 29mv. Only got about half done before it got too hot. First time doing this project myself. Not to bad just time consuming.
Lynn Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 01:15 PM   #10289

Re-strung a window shade that was starting to fray, easier than I thought.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 01:28 PM   #10290

The tropical storm went by and it was cloudy and drizzly. Good day to scrub the camper inside
Old 08-31-2023, 01:44 PM   #10291

Traded in the 18 338rets for a 24 382flrb North point.
newsleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 05:10 PM   #10292

Sherwood Creek fire

Well having been dead center of the Sherwood Creek Fire in Jasper, Texas we survived! We were surrounded on three sides by fire within 1000 yards of trlr. Had to evacuate,leaving the trlr 2014 Eagle Premier 42 footer. Tried to leave on main road only to find fire had jumped road shut it down. Was able to escape thru Angelina National Forest. 4 days,7 water scooping planes,2 dipping helicopters, crews from all over the country and local volunteers were finally able to contain 4000+ acre fire. No damage to trlr, yet a mile down down from here looks like a war zone! Picture of map. We are in white circle, all thee red was the fire!
Attached Thumbnails
4T3J4HAT6FBJJKCUX6E75NIAZQ~2.jpg   IMG_20230825_124721.jpg   IMG_20230825_124619.jpg  
Tx Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 05:26 PM   #10293

I climbed on top, cleaned all the self leveling cheap stuff that always cracks, and coated it with crystal clear Black Jack sealant. Now the cheap stuff will get no worse and I will not have to reseal it again. It’s sealed.permanently.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 06:55 PM   #10294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Woodstock View Post
Well having been dead center of the Sherwood Creek Fire in Jasper, Texas we survived! We were surrounded on three sides by fire within 1000 yards of trlr. Had to evacuate,leaving the trlr 2014 Eagle Premier 42 footer. Tried to leave on main road only to find fire had jumped road shut it down. Was able to escape thru Angelina National Forest. 4 days,7 water scooping planes,2 dipping helicopters, crews from all over the country and local volunteers were finally able to contain 4000+ acre fire. No damage to trlr, yet a mile down down from here looks like a war zone! Picture of map. We are in white circle, all thee red was the fire!
Wow, you dodged a bullet! Glad you made it out unscathed. Kudos to the crews and volunteers for getting the fire under control.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 04:43 PM   #10295
Site Team

Today was a jackpot for me! I ordered a new slide out gasket for our 12 year old rig. Finally got the correct part # from Jayco and ordered it thru my dealer.

it was long enough to cut in half so I have a spare. All done!

Also when we arrived home from our last trip our rear window day/night shade had fallen off on one side. I removed the whole thing, repaired the loose connections on the shade and added a center support with some small brackets. Re-installed the rear Lambrequins' and Valence and hope it lasts for 12 more years.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 05:24 PM   #10296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Woodstock View Post
Wow! That is close. My cousin and his family had to evacuate also but were able to go back home after about 24 hours. They live near 255 but not exactly sure how close they were to the fire. You guys were virtually at ground zero. Glad you made it out safely. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for the Jasper community!
20 Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 05:53 PM   #10297

Started checking all systems for a trip Tuesday. Everything works on gas and electric. Flushed waste tanks. Macerator still works! Sanitized fresh water tank and lines. Put a new anode rod in the water heater. It was really enjoyable testing the propane heater, when it was already 95 inside the trailer. Tomorrow I’ll check all the wheels for excessive play, and grease everything. Don’t want to take wheels apart unless I find a problem. I just did the wheels before the last trip.
Old 09-03-2023, 09:40 AM   #10298

AC rattle

Removed AC cover looking for cause of rattle when compressor kicks in.
Found mounting bolt being touched by compressor line. Bend it slightly out of place; problem solved.
While there, also found found two fan motor mounting nuts loose. Now nice and snug.
2022 Jayco Jayflight 212QB
ThePimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 06:33 AM   #10299

The slide on my 29RKS wouldn’t retract back in. Luckily it was parked in a spot that I could leave it for awhile. There’s no internet connection there so I had to wait to come home to find solutions. It took a few trips of finding possible solutions and trying them. I could see the front of the slide move, but the rear didn’t want to. I tried asking the dealership that originally sold it, but it’s since been purchased by camping world. They didn’t want to help out unless they could charge me $190 a hour to fix it, so I turned to Jayco. Getting info from Jayco is like pulling teeth. Since one side wanted to move but the other didn’t, I thought maybe the bar that connects the slider gears had brome disconnected on one side. I removed the under belly cover near the front side and it was still attached. I had to cut slit in the under belly cover to check the rear. The front had a seam in between pieces, the rear didn’t have a seam so I found cutting a slit to be the easiest. The bar was firmly connected in the rear too. I wasn’t sure what to do next. I decided to grab my can of lube for the slide rails and thoroughly spray the gear and section or rail that’s always covered. I did this on both ends. I also gave the rest of the two rails some lube too. I worked it back and forth getting a little more movement each time it finally worked the lube into the gears enough that the slider is functional again. I’m sure glad that this happened early in the season when I had time to mess with it and not at the end when it’s starting to snow.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 02:50 PM   #10300

Mirrors instead of a window.

I have a 2021 Melbourne 24L and was tossing around the idea of adding a window to the side of the slide out in the dinette area. Looking at cost and time, I had an epiphany. I went onto Ikea and ordered two of the Lindbyn 23 5/8 x 23 5/8 mirrors. They cost $110 including delivery and mounted them using 4 Velcro command strips. Couldn’t be happier.

PS, pardon the mess.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5854.jpg   71589695776__4582D26C-7510-4D59-98CF-0033EDCF8A2B.jpg  
melbournemedford is offline   Reply With Quote