Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2015, 07:38 PM   #301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
As I run to the back of the camper to turn off the water, not so crystal clear, water is pouring off my roof...

I instantly pull the gate to release the water...the pressure was so great that the camper shook. I then shut off the water.
Reminds me of Robin Williams in RV... You need a spreader to hook up that y adapter... Fire in the hole!

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:49 PM   #302

That was the most hilarious story I've read on this forum! Lol

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantygirl View Post
I laughed so hard I cried. Thank you for sharing.
+1 OH the tears!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #304

Really funny!! Great story and I love the shirt.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:22 AM   #305

yeah, don't tell DW about that shirt!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
You didn't mention that he offered to replace your fire extinguisher, so I guess that was on you too. Oh well, at least the little girl and the female companion were ok.
You are correct sir! He did not. The gene pool is usually self correcting but with this bonehead, he just might take someone with him....
PhyerPhyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:20 PM   #307

I dug out the pictures when my Camping Club presented me with the Spill Kit...
Attached Thumbnails
46599_156868564330144_6517667_n.jpg   46599_156868567663477_5155974_n.jpg   46599_156868570996810_6801957_n.jpg   59054_156868310996836_7878705_n.jpg   59054_156868314330169_6256625_n.jpg  

41354_157425987607735_1575236_n.jpg   59158_157492450934422_7502049_n.jpg  
Old 04-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #308

We were on our trial run in a new to us Shamrock 23 rs. Everything was perfect. I turned on the hot water tank to shower while boondocking, got in the shower and had nothing but cold water. Got out and dressed. I rechecked everything or so I thought. Tank was full, fuses were fine, tank was firing. I even was checking the wiring with a multi meter. After 3 hours of frustration I saw it. The out flow valve from the tank was partially obscured and I never opened it. Duh. It worked great after that.

Then the poop really hit the fan. This camper was only used 2x in 3 years. It was virtually new. They never even used the fridge because they couldnt figure out how to turn it on. Our daughter was playing outside and says, " Mommy, the camper is cracked." Sure enough the fiberglass was cracked at the corner of the slide. After finding someone to fix it we learned that there must have been a water leak and rotted the frame on the entire back wall. It was not evident anywhere from the inside. Grr. Repair guy said to dump the unit ASAP. Took ahuge hit trading it to the dealer on our Jayco. Very happy now with no issues.
gmucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #309

Excellent story.
Mine was last year. Don't know why but went to dump and did not know that I never shut the valves off from the previous time. Took the cap off to hook up the hose and found out quickly that the black tank valve was open. Not fun.
Hotpeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:32 PM   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotpeper View Post
Excellent story.
Mine was last year. Don't know why but went to dump and did not know that I never shut the valves off from the previous time. Took the cap off to hook up the hose and found out quickly that the black tank valve was open. Not fun.
That is sooo wrong.

I check mine every time...about 10 years ago, some kids were going around disconnecting hoses and opening gate valves...not good.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:55 PM   #311

This is the best thread on the whole site! LOL
I have my entry too

somewhat related...

asked by buddy to drive his work truck - a Ford F250 dually diesel crew cab with long bed and 35' bumper pull cargo trailer to CA and pickup equipment. Its a far drive from Texas, but not bad. Anyway, was long into my day when I pulled into town in LA area. I had to negotiate all the freeway traffic and get to the hotel where he wanted me to go. I was a bit frazzled from long drive with such a big trailer when I wasn't very familiar with driving a rig like that. Anyway, I get there, and they were doing parking lot construction and I couldn't really see a spot to park, as there was a big fence around most of the lot and cars in the rest. The front was mostly clear by the curb and walkway in front of the hotel, so I eased up there. I got the rig right along the curb and pulled up to the front to check in.
"Shrreecck" noise followed by a bump in the cab of the truck - immediately I stopped, luckily I was going at a snail's pace but I had driven the trailer into the overhang for the entrance!! A "L" bracket sort of thing holding a sign that I think said "low clearance" or something. The sticking out bracket had punched a hole through my buddy's trailer at the top edge of it where the metal is curved from the front wall to the roof. Did I mention it was a new trailer?? Shoot I was so mad at myself!! luckily the hotel was very cool, but wow, that wasn't fun getting the nerve to tell him about it, here I thought I was doing such a great job! Good thing he cool about it.
Dirkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:33 PM   #312

Oops

Have been on this forum for a year , but this is my first post. Have just finished reading all the posts and can relate to many of them. Here are a few of our moments,

-new 5W just picked up at dealer, used it for a few days. Went to dump tanks and found after i had taken cap off that black and grey tank valves where both open. EWWW. My teenage son with me just laughing and hosing me off.

-Daughter going in trailer to cook something...10 minutes goes by friend and I out side, friend looks at me and says i can smell propane. Just as daughter walks outside and says the water isn't getting hot. Shut off propane and aired 5W out for awhile. Scared me, she didn't realize you needed to light the burner. Taught her how later that day.

-Forgot to drain the hot water heater. winterized everything else. Found out the next spring when we went to use the hot water heater.

-traded in one 5W for a new one, dealership hadn't even seen old one, but did the deal and signed the paperwork on the new one. it was early spring so lots of snow still on the ground. spent two days shoveling out trailer to take to dealership so I can pick up new one, finally have enough room to back dually up to it. Back in to pin the trailer, in it goes. Hitch doesn't latch and trailer slides back on ice and lands on box, Ouch. big dent on box rail and hole in trailer front cap. Sheepishly pulled it to dealership and told them my tale of whoa. They laughed it off.

Those are the worst I can think off. New Seneca last year and no mishaps yet. Knock on wood.
Happy camping
hdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:32 PM   #313
JOF Mascot

bumped, for all the boneheads yet to post here
Old 06-23-2015, 08:07 AM   #314

Bone Headed move happened yesterday.
We were heading home and just pulled out of the park onto the main road and the trailer brakes LOCKED up. Couldn't understand what the heck happened. Finally called GS RA for help and they were sending someone to help since I'm stuck in the middle of the road. My buddy was glancing into the bed of the truck and said, "What's this doing unplugged?" I guess the sharp turn caused the emergency brake away switch to pull out and lock the brakes. DW was a basket case by then, but the trip was fine other than the 65mph winds when we got back into Illinois last night. All is good and we made it safe.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:48 AM   #315

That has happened to us just as we pulled into a campground. Only a slight moment of panic before I realized what must have happened though. Plugged back in and carried on.

My latest bonehead move......

I was installing a new fantastic fan in our bathroom vent. After removing the old one I passed the new fan up through the hole and set it on the roof. I even made sure to orient it correctly. I then went up on the roof and installed the new fan. Screwed it all down and covered it all with Dicor.
Went back inside the trailer to test it and as I raised the vent I noticed I installed it sideways. The hinge wasn't at the front!

I quickly got back on the roof and removed all the fresh Dicor (and got covered in it!) Removed the screws, turned it and reinstalled.

Dicor is very difficult to get off your hands!

Love the new fan though
Old 06-29-2015, 09:25 AM   #316
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nambarc View Post
bumped, for all the boneheads yet to post here
One just did!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:19 PM   #317

On our way into a state park a couple of weekends ago we were filling up our fresh water tank and my husband asked me to watch the levels. The lights kept going back and forth between 1/3 and 2/3 so I couldn't really tell how much water we had so I told him to stop. Well he discovered the next day that it was only 1/3 full. After a trip to Walmart for a really big storage tote, a stop at the fill hose, and a water jug cut into a funnel, let's just say from now on I will be holding the hose while HE checks the levels!
Old 07-12-2015, 01:00 PM   #318

FYI...as far as I know all fresh water tanks have an overflow hose...

So just fill it up till the trailer starts "peeing" then stop.

Note that from what I've read, if you plan on travelling very far with the fresh water tank filled, you'll want to plug the overfill hose. Otherwise the fresh water will splash out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebKen View Post
On our way into a state park a couple of weekends ago we were filling up our fresh water tank and my husband asked me to watch the levels. The lights kept going back and forth between 1/3 and 2/3 so I couldn't really tell how much water we had so I told him to stop. Well he discovered the next day that it was only 1/3 full. After a trip to Walmart for a really big storage tote, a stop at the fill hose, and a water jug cut into a funnel, let's just say from now on I will be holding the hose while HE checks the levels!
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #319

just recently we came back from a trip to tenn. I was tired and went to uncouple the tt from truck. I put my jackstand I built for the tongue jack under it and started raising it off the hitch but as it got barely off the ball the tongue jack really started grunting and it wasn't coming up any farther. I am looking all around for whats going on then I notice one of the safety chains had hooked under the plate of the jackstand. once I lowered the jack enough to remove the chain from under the stand it came up just fine lol, luckily nothing damaged
Attached Thumbnails
tongue jackstand.jpg  
Old 07-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #320

First trip out pulling into the toll booth on the Walt Whitman Bridge. Toll taker is hanging out the window watching me pull up. I'm paying so much attention not to hit this yahoo that I smack into the next the toll booth on the right side.