Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2016, 08:01 PM   #401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Haven't had one in a long time. This weekend, we spot the rig in our site, left/right level checks out, so unhitch and level front/back, drop stab jacks, DW hooks up power and gets the AC running, I dismount the WDH and store it away and install the X-chocks, DW informs me it's time to run the slide out, so I walk over to observe. Uh oh. That power pedestal looks like it might be close. She runs the slide out, I stop her because about 4" from end of travel, the slide it touching the power post! DOH!!

So we remove the X-chocks, bring up the stabs, get the hitch back out and on the truck, etc ... all to pull the trailer forward about 2 feet so the slide will clear the power pedestal and parking block.

Then something in the trailer made a big noise. Found out later that my son's trailer (I use it to tow him behind me on my bike) has blown a tire. I put too much air in it and it split the tube! DOH!

Other than those two minor hiccups, the trip was pretty good. But now I've got a stomach bug!

Having gone through the power pedestal / slide drill myself several times I finally took a scrap of PVC pipe I had laying around and cut it to the depth of my slide and tossed it in the storage. I can use it to quickly guage wheter or not I have enough clearance.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:03 AM   #402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Having gone through the power pedestal / slide drill myself several times I finally took a scrap of PVC pipe I had laying around and cut it to the depth of my slide and tossed it in the storage. I can use it to quickly guage wheter or not I have enough clearance.
I've seen that idea, and will likely implement it. Thankfully, we've only had that particular problem once. More commonly, we have to change our "level" after we get set up.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #403

Quote:
We have a cheap ('dollar store') broom and the round handle is exactly the right length.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:42 AM   #404

Yesterday, deployed the awning (still in Camp Driveway) only a few feet while airing out the TT.

All fine until I rolled it up when packing up for the night. Some water had accumulated (oops, forgot the awing doesn't tip downwards until fully deployed). Got 1/2 soaked while keeping the door from interfering with the support rails.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #405

I just used a piece of PVC because it was scrap and was laying right there as I was thinking about it. A marking on your broom, water hose, electrical cord, awning tug, or any other item you may carry with you would work just as good.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:50 AM   #406

Quote:
I just used a piece of PVC because it was scrap and was laying right there as I was thinking about it. A marking on your broom, water hose, electrical cord, awning tug, or any other item you may carry with you would work just as good.
Marking the broom would be a great idea. We keep it close by in the pass-thru storage anyway, so it would be quick and easy to access.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #407

With my fingertips touching the side of the trailer, the slide comes out to the centre of my chest. After parking the trailer I stand beside the slide and touch the side of the trailer and look down the length of the trailer. If I can see anything in my way, then I know for sure it will be in the slide's way, too. No broom handle required.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:10 PM   #408

I just had a thought. We didn't even bother looking for slide obstructions! That's probably why I've never had this problem before; normally, I look for that problem. I have a pretty good idea how far the slide comes out and can usually eyeball it. Certainly within an inch or two. But this time, I was worried about another obstruction and didn't even look! I knew before DW even began deploying the slide, (when I stepped back and looked at the "big picture" after we had cleared our primary obstacle) that it wouldn't fit!

What am I thinking? I don't need a broomstick, or PVC, I just need to open my dang eyes and LOOK!

Oh well, lessons learned!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-26-2016, 08:31 AM   #409

Had 2 (or 3) not so big boneheaded moments on the last 2 trips.

1) Got a brand new Blue Ox SwayPro for my trailer, left the rotating bracket wrench somewhere when we hitched up to leave our first trip out with it! Great hitch, but I knew I would lose that tool eventually, just didn't expect it on the FIRST TRIP! DOH!

1B) I'm using a ratchet for the hitch until I can get another proper tool. If anyone's familiar with those rotating latches, they probably know what happened next. The ratchet (by design) only holds tension one direction; for this maneuver, I need tension in both directions! A breaker bar would be better, but mine is too long. So I use the ratchet to get the rotating latch loose, and as soon as it "breaks over", it lets go quite violently. Lesson learned: Double and triple check you've got everything stowed properly when it's time to go!

2) Stopped on the way home for a lunch break in the trailer last weekend. Opened the fridge, and out popped a nice, new, full jar of pickled okra! Fell on the floor and broke (of course). Luckily, the slide was out, so the mess was pretty easy to clean up. Lesson Learned: "Open compartment doors slowly as contents may have shifted during flight"!

As an aside to that short lunch break stop, it was pretty hot in the trailer. DW knows AC won't work without shore power (no generator, yet). So we opened the windows and doors and got a nice breeze going. Until it started to rain. So we close some of the windows and the doors, and DW grabs a fan out of the cabinet. I'm standing there with my mouth open for a few seconds before I ask her "what the h#@l are you doing? That thing's not gonna work!" She says "Why not, there's a plug right here!" I couldn't stop laughing! 3 years and she still doesn't know how the power in our RV works! Then as I'm in stitches over this, she shouts "WHY DOES NOTHING IN THIS DAMN TRAILER WORK?!! You LIED to me!"

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-26-2016, 09:34 AM   #410

Hey Camper Bob- Hope your wife doesn't read that last part about her and 3 years. Lol.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:32 AM   #411

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
Hey Camper Bob- Hope your wife doesn't read that last part about her and 3 years. Lol.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
LOL!! No, she knows!! We had a very lengthy discussion on the way home about how the RV has 2 separate power systems, 12V DC and 120V AC. And that certain items require the availability of 120V AC (shore power or a generator). And why hasn't she been listening to me for the last 3 years? She says "Don't use those big electrical terms with me!" LOL!! And "The tech never said ANYTHING about that during our walk-through!" To which I responded "He assumed you had SOME knowledge about RV power ... err, sorry, that I had some knowledge of RV power! I've known all this, you've never bothered to learn! But that sweat on your brow is telling me that suddenly you care!"

So, while she's standing there having an epiphany about the functionality of our trailer (hand on hip and all!!), she's pointing at various things in the trailer asking if they work. "Why do the lights work? Why does that fan work? But this plug doesn't work? What plugs DO work? And the microwave doesn't work? Why does the stove work?" It was quite hilarious, she was genuinely mad, and I laughed hard the whole time!

Good news: the discussion ended with "we need a generator, start shopping for one. But it had BETTER run all our stuff!". But as usual, in the heat (literally) of the moment, things are said and not "meant". I think she means it this time though, she just isn't ready for the $$ discussion! LOL!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-26-2016, 02:21 PM   #412

What`s your most boneheaded RV moment?

Well add me to the Bonehead - "Forgot to chock the wheels" club!

I just brought my trailer back home from the tire shop where they installed my brand spanking new set of Maxxis tires. I back her into her usual spot which is a gently sloped spot in front of my detached garage in my back yard.

I was so captivated by the look of my brand new tires, I powered down the tongue jack and as soon as the receiver cleared the hitch ball I had that OH moment! The trailer rolled forward about 6 inches before the flip foot collapsed dropping the trailer hard off the wooden block.

Fortunately no damage except for a bruised ego... It's amazing how much bigger the trailer looks rolling towards you and your truck. I can honestly say this is a mistake that will only happen once.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:02 PM   #413

It took three years, but I knew I'd eventually be posting here.

It was pouring rain when we were getting ready to hitch up a couple of weeks ago and I got in a hurry to get out of the rain. Pushed the button on the Ground Control system to retract the rear jacks and get us back to hitch height, and then went to the back of the rig to get the truck and pull it around to hitch up. As I'm backing in I notice that there's a v-shaped gap under the front basement door and that's when it hits me - I forgot to release the Strong Arms! The front basement/generator compartment has a metal floor, and I'd attached the Strong Arms to that. Turns out it was only held in place by a couple of tack welds and a few screws that let go/broke - clearly the weakest link.

Thankfully it's something that's easily repaired, and I'll make sure the repair is stronger than what came from the factory. There's also going to be a big red STRONG ARM reminder card going into the Ground Control control compartment...
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:06 PM   #414

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
...snip

It was pouring rain when we were getting ready to hitch up a couple of weeks ago and I got in a hurry to get out of the rain. ...snip
Glad it didn't turn out too bad!

When it's raining or going to rain at the time for breaking down, I just put on clothes I don't mind getting wet in and can still work. If it's really bad, I'll put on a rain coat. But basically, I just prepare to get wet and accept that I'm going to be soaked. This way I don't feel rushed and miss something.

I'm too afraid I'm going to miss something big, so even if it means I'm soaked to the bone, I'm going to go at whatever pace is necessary to make sure it's all done right. Then when I'm done, I hop back in the camper and dry off before saddling up for the journey home.

The worst part is in the summer down here when it will rain for 10 or 15 minutes, and then the sun comes back out. When it's 102 and 100% humidity and it just rained, it can get quite uncomfortable quite fast.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-02-2016, 06:52 PM   #415

Just today: I'm winterizing the trailer, bypassed the water heater, blew out the lines, etc. Then I went to drain the water heater. I started unscrewing the drain plug, and at the last turn, that's when I realized I forgot to relieve the pressure on the heater. Water came spraying out of the drain plug, soaking me from waist to shoulder. The pressure was enough to knock the plug out of my hand and into the landscaping rocks between our driveway and the neighbour's; it's gone forever. Good thing the water was only warm and not hot.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:01 PM   #416

Forgot my X-tend a chock this morning...... looks like a spaghetti now.....I wasnt a happy camper .....

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #417

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
Just today: I'm winterizing the trailer, bypassed the water heater, blew out the lines, etc. Then I went to drain the water heater. I started unscrewing the drain plug, and at the last turn, that's when I realized I forgot to relieve the pressure on the heater. Water came spraying out of the drain plug, soaking me from waist to shoulder. The pressure was enough to knock the plug out of my hand and into the landscaping rocks between our driveway and the neighbour's; it's gone forever. Good thing the water was only warm and not hot.

Been there done that. Scared the crap out of me when the plug shot out like a bullet[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Been there done that. Scared the crap out of me when the plug shot out like a bullet[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me too!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 12-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #419

Score: Sign 1, Window 0

While I truly hoped that I'd never be able to add to this thread, unfortunately I now can.

Pulled into the state park entrance. It was raining and my mirrors were wet and hard to see anything. Stopped at the entrance booth which was unmanned as it was Thanksgiving Day. Hopped out to get my reservation packet from the rack and then turned right towards the campsite road. Immediately encountered a locked gate. Was not aware that 80% of the campsites were closed due to damage from hurricane Matthew.

Backed up into the entrance road being very careful to watch (as best I could in the mirrors) the treeline on the right and the entrance booth on the left. Backed up successfully and then saw another class C had pulled in past the entrance and stopped at the information board. Had to make a very sharp left turn to go behind them.

The tail swung right and we heard an awful crash. The closest sound I have ever heard to it was while working at the grocery store in high school and a stack of filled wooden soft drink crates fell over. There was a non-DOT standard, wooden stop sign on a 4x4 wooden post at the entrance booth that I had missed in my mirror, but the Greyhawk tail certainly did not miss it. It caught the right bedroom frameless window pane and shattered it and then dug a gouge from from there to the rear. I will give Jayco credit for building a solid RV. The 4x4 post broke but did not punch a hole in the sidewall.

I later told DW I was glad we did not take any of the grandchildren on with us as I would not have wanted them to hear what Grandpa had said. Cut up a plastic bag and duct-taped it over the opening so we could stay the weekend.

Our dealer has ordered a replacement window and it is supposed to arrive this week. Do not know the total fiscal hit yet, but it will likely be as hard as the physical hit.

I am always very careful maneuvering around gas pumps and in parking lots as I know the tail swings wide in tight turns. I simply did not see that &%#! sign in the mirror. This will not happen again!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4388.jpg   IMG_4391.jpg  

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:35 PM   #420

Well, add me to the list! I was parking our 3590 RLTS in storage and because someone parked wrong in the row in front of us, I was having a rough time of trying to back into the poorly marked spot. After multiple attempts I decided to go turn around and try it from a different angle. As I was rounding the corner of the row of other rv's, I thought I heard a noise. My wife, who was back at the spot with our two way radio said she heard the noise too so I stopped and got out to look. Sure enough, I clipped the 5th wheel parked there in the back corner and wiped out his ladder, corner of the bumper, etc... On mine I tore up some lower sheet metal, right side fender, ripped the slide topper, and pulled out the bottom mount of entry hand hold. Man I was hot but I have nobody but myself to blame. Insurance is covering the other trailer but mine has to wait, big deductible was a bad idea! I really thought I was far enough away but like in horseshoes, close is good enough plus I felt much worse for the trailer I clipped than my own!
BrittB is offline   Reply With Quote