Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-27-2017, 01:55 PM   #481

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
Not me but spotted this bonehead traveling down Rt 128 / Rt 95 South on Monday, heading back from the NASCAR race in NH.

And by bonehead, I'm not even referring to the roof he's slowing tearing apart, it's that he blew by me going at least 80MPH.

Or perhaps I'm the bonehead for catching up long enough to have my wife take this picture LOL
I see lots of trailers going down the road with a billowed up roof like that. I often wonder if I should make some effort to tell the owner, but even if I wanted to, most of the time I couldn't do it.

I will usually find some reason for my wife to "trail" me in her car once or twice a year so she can take a look and find things I can't see. One time she discovered that the window to my son's bunk was left open. I guarantee WE didn't open it either. I guess he got a little curious in bed one day and unlatched it, he was just 2 at the time, so not surprising. She was driving behind me on the highway and noticed it opening up every time someone passed me.

I try not to worry about the people towing in a rush any more. There's likely nothing I can say that will convince them to slow down, so I usually just shake my head as they go by. But OTOH, I'm usually going a little faster than 65 (I can usually be found around 70 or so, and I have hit 80 once or twice for very short spurts), so I don't have a lot of room to talk. My equipment is rated to 80, but I sure don't like going that fast, and my wallet is not a fan either!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #482

Expensive Bone Head mistake

First time out and getting ready to leave had completed my checklist. DW decided to take a nap before we leave so I lower the tongue jack to level the bed a little for her while I go fish. She finishes her nap and we hop in the truck and take off with tongue jack still down. Tongue jack leg bends in such a way there is now no way to get it up. Repairman arrives and is as stumped as what to do as I am.

We drag the jack across the asphalt to the dirt, dig a hole under it, get the foot off, and he pounds it with a sludge hammer to get it to an angle where it won't drag. We slooooooowly follow him to his shop where he takes a torch to cut off the jack leg and replaces the tongue jack.

Last two years and to this day we both walk around the TT looking below and above before the truck ever goes in gear.

Checklists are fine but the old eyeball test is still the best preventive maintenance.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I try not to worry about the people towing in a rush any more. There's likely nothing I can say that will convince them to slow down, so I usually just shake my head as they go by. But OTOH, I'm usually going a little faster than 65 (I can usually be found around 70 or so, and I have hit 80 once or twice for very short spurts), so I don't have a lot of room to talk. My equipment is rated to 80, but I sure don't like going that fast, and my wallet is not a fan either!
Agreed, and I'm usually set at 67-70 MPH range myself. 65 or less and my wife just can't handle it (we're both lead footed in non-towing circumstances so actually driving the speed limit is, well, mentally challenging let's say lol). And I'm lucky enough that I can afford the MPG hit that speed results in.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:41 PM   #484

I left Muncie, Indiana with my 2 water hoses coiled and sitting on my spare tire... while I loaded something else I forgot to go back and get them. Stopped for fuel several hours later and had a part of one hose left. What bothers me most is that I hate to have littered..... I'm not a bonehead litterbug...... or, maybe this time I was.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:31 PM   #485

Quote:
Agreed, and I'm usually set at 67-70 MPH range myself. 65 or less and my wife just can't handle it (we're both lead footed in non-towing circumstances so actually driving the speed limit is, well, mentally challenging let's say lol). And I'm lucky enough that I can afford the MPG hit that speed results in.
LOL! Drives my wife crazy too!

Problem is the speed limit most places around here is 70-75, some 80 and even some 85. I get about the same fuel economy at 72 as I do at 65 (I think it has to do with transmission gearing), so most of the time I'd rather go 70-72 and not get passed like I'm sitting still. 70 speed limit means at least 75 on most TX roads. If I could go as slow as 60, I could save gobs of fuel, but I usually can't safely go that slow, and again, DW's head may actually explode!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #486

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I left Muncie, Indiana with my 2 water hoses coiled and sitting on my spare tire... while I loaded something else I forgot to go back and get them. Stopped for fuel several hours later and had a part of one hose left. What bothers me most is that I hate to have littered..... I'm not a bonehead litterbug...... or, maybe this time I was.
I'm glad to read that I'm not alone in that I would also have been more concerned about having littered!! That would've bothered me FAR more than the cost to replace the hose, and I'm a CHEAP skate!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-08-2017, 01:09 PM   #487

Some years ago, we set off on our very first trip in our new-to-us pop-up.
I was very careful about checking all the roof latches and the hitch and the safety chains, and, and, and... wound up the stabilisers and then tossed the crank handle in through the door and closed up.

Sure enough, less than a mile down the road, I looked in the mirror and saw the door hanging wide open.... we pulled into a handy parking lot, and hurried to correct the mistake, hoping nobody would notice....

No such luck. Sitting under a tree was a gentleman who had enjoyed rather too much of What Made Milwaukee Famous. and was very anxious to be helpful and point out, loudly, that, "Hey Mister, yer door's open!"... "Hey, look everyone, this guy's door's open.." and so on.

We've moved on to bigger and better things now, but I still check all the latches three times, with a look over my shoulder...
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:36 PM   #488

Reminds me of our old pop up.
First highway trip I started to smell something burning but couldn't figure out what it was. Seconds later I saw something fly out from in front of the camper and across the highway. I immediately pulled over and found the jack had unwound itself to the point the plastic tire was rollin on the interstate and the heat just blew up it. Lesson learned need to put a bungy cord around handle.

We arrived at campground and found at some point the cover for the outside light by the door flew off. Lesson here was remove the cover before traveling.

While setting up the temp where comfortable but not knowing better decided to turn the fridge on the coldest setting. The temps got into the 20's that first night and everything in the fridge froze so there went a lot of the groceries but worse my wife's coffee creamer.
Then to top off our weekend I rocked the propane tank and I figured it had enough propane. What I didn't do was swap over to the fresher spare battery I thought to bring. Then around 3a.m. in 18 degree weather the original battery we had been using for days died. Being miserbaly cold I decided we didn't have too long before we woukd get up so I just made us suffer thru it for a couple hours.
Then packing up that same morning I removed the support poles for the canvas ends and the canvas stayed in perfect shape. You could never tell I removed the poles. I decided to push them down and when I did we could here the canvas crackiling but didn't think anything about it. After setting it back up to wash it after we got home I found all the cracks in the canvas. I started to hose down the camper to wash it when I found some of those cracks where allowing the water to leak through onto the beds.
That was a memorable trip for sure, I learned sooooo much

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2017, 03:34 PM   #489

Just this past memorial day weekend, I decided to leave the awning out while we finish loading everything because there was no shade. Start to drive out of the campground and thankfully looked in the mirror and saw it still out.
The Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #490

Did the same thing. I didn't even need a friend to distract me. I got bored (happens within 30 seconds) and wondered inside. Decided to walk to CG shower. Luckily(?) instead of spraying out the vent, a bit leaked out the toilet that wife mopped up. It was the third flush so water was pretty clean. Sadly the black tank failed and crashed to the ground. We were headed out on a plane the next day and had to leave it in the rv resort for a month. Then when we returned we were w/o a toilet for 5 weeks waiting for new black tank. Jayco paid 100% under warranty!
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:57 PM   #491

Not me for a change so I can laugh about it, but my semi-newbie buddy forgret to flip the bypass on his water heater and couldn’t figure out where 4 gallons of A/F had gone when it only took a a gallon and a half when I showed him how to do it last year. On a positive note, I have successfully remembered to winterize the outdoor shower on ours for a 3rd year in a row...sadly, a personal best.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:51 PM   #492
Site Team

Forgot to put my antenna down. Found it's mangled remains when I stopped at the dump station.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #493

Forgot to latch the shower door before heading home on the last trip...
Lesson learned, wont forget that again. On a good note it took longer to take the new one out of the box then it did to replace it.
Attached Thumbnails
shower door.jpg  
csnugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:29 PM   #494
Site Team

I may or may not have knocked myself silly by running my head in to the awning support.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:12 PM   #495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I may or may not have knocked myself silly by running my head in to the awning support.
Been there, done that... but in my case, add an "er". As in "sillier"..
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:51 PM   #496

Quote:
Not me but spotted this bonehead traveling down Rt 128 / Rt 95 South on Monday, heading back from the NASCAR race in NH.

And by bonehead, I'm not even referring to the roof he's slowing tearing apart, it's that he blew by me going at least 80MPH.

Or perhaps I'm the bonehead for catching up long enough to have my wife take this picture LOL

And what was his finishing position at the race? Top 10??????
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:54 PM   #497

I know that California has a top speed of 55 MPH anywhere in the state for cars & trucks towing trailers... I just wonder if any other states have a lower speed limit for those towing? If not, they should...

Too many idiots out there driving and towing way too fast... and I've seen more than a dozen of those idiots with overturned vehicles and travel trailers in just the last year.
tlm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:27 AM   #498

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlm550 View Post
I know that California has a top speed of 55 MPH anywhere in the state for cars & trucks towing trailers... I just wonder if any other states have a lower speed limit for those towing? If not, they should...

Too many idiots out there driving and towing way too fast... and I've seen more than a dozen of those idiots with overturned vehicles and travel trailers in just the last year.
A number of states do, but if there is no enforcement, it doesn't do a thing. Speeds in GA are zero tolerance but cops admit they will not stop vehicles unless they are driving erratically, way over the limit (maybe) or holding up traffic. There are days in Atlanta where the speed limit is 45mph on interstate (electronic signs can be changed according to conditions) and everyone is cruising at 85mph.

Meanwhile in Arkansas, zero tolerance can get you stopped for 1mph over, and it's enforced.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #499

Not really camping related, but still a bonehead moment.

I was at the deer lease and it was SUPER wet, so I had my truck in 4H most of the time I was out there. Normally, for most places on the ranch, you only need 2WD, but when it gets wet you need 4x4. After a day and a half of driving around off-road, I completely forgot my truck was in 4WD. Until I got the truck up to about 55mph on the road outside the ranch! Could've been bad if I hadn't noticed!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #500
Site Team

Here is a bonehead first, I posted this in the wrong thread........ but read it anyway.

You can hear about all the GREAT and BEST things that make RVing better for you, BUT here is a thread that most of us never want to admit to. So, if you sit down and read through this thread (click on the link below) and remember all of them (there are 499 posts as we speak), odds are you still will have one to add to the list of them.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ment-1576.html

Yes... I can admit to a few of them. Is CamperBob on it?

WHO WILL BE POST # 500???? Oh, it was me

Correct thread.... https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post574992

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote