Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2018, 06:59 AM   #561
Site Team

I have 3 backing stories that I blame both on relying on GPS w/o checking more.

1. I was headed to a small cg in the NC mountains and after a long day drive, I went left instead of right at a split in the road. It led uphill about 1/4 mile to the overhang roof of a motel, I had to back down a winding downhill road in the dark to get back to the intersection.

2. Another time in a dinky town in Pennsylvania, I was looking for a cg and the GPS showed a side road to get over to a main road. About 300 yards down the road, it dead ended at a large drainage ditch and over on the other side was the main road. I had to back out of there to get to another cross street.

3. Another time We were looking for a place to park to get a sandwich and I pulled into a small street that looked like it went to a small parking lot. Actually it funneled us into a narrow driveway that came out right by the Subway shop. We parked, got our food to go and pulled back out. The whole building was in our shadow as we moved away.

All while pulling a 38' fifth wheel.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:23 AM   #562

Good times.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:40 PM   #563

Well after reading a lot of these, I don't feel too stupid.

1) First time out ever, when we went to leave I had a hard time getting the trailer moving. I assumed the wheels must have sunk some into the soft field we where camping in. Later that evening our friends stopped by the house and dropped off our wheel chocks.

2) Second year when prepping the trailer for winter storage, I had drained the water tanks and ran the water pump with faucets open to get out what I could. At a friends suggestion I bought an adapter that you put in the city water connection and hook a air compressor too. Turned on the compressor and opened the faucets and flushed the toilet over and over till nothing but air came out. Shut the faucets off then the compressor off. Next I went to pull the drain plug on the water heater. With about a turn left on the threads the plug blew out. My wife came running as she heard both the drain cap blowing out and it hitting the neighbors metal garage and putting a nice 1" circular dent in it. We did eventually find the drain plug in the neighbors yard a good 100 ft from the garage door it hit. Nylon plug/cap was undamaged. Got the feeling the compressor air pressure may have been up kind of high too...

3) Was camping with a friend, his first time in a TT. He helped and closed up the underneath storage on one side, but on the door just shut the twist lock and did not lock the key lock. A couple of hundred miles down the road I wondered what that thumping sound was. I looked in the mirrors and the one storage compartment door was flapping in the breeze.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:52 AM   #564
Site Team

Most of my worst moments RVing have come when I'm in a hurry or distracted.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:57 AM   #565

Ok, I'll share my two "favorite" boneheaded moments out of the extensive collection I have racked up.....

1) I'll start with saying this was no ones fault but my own.... About 15 years ago my wife (GF at the time) and I met her parents at a campground in our new to us trailer. Been camping maybe 8 months at the time. I back into the site, which slopped pretty low in the back. My future FIL comes over to "help" and interrupts my still developnig "routine" for unhooking. I start to speed my steps up and not pay attention to what I am doing - which I will pay for in a few minutes. FIL starts cranking the tongue jack to get the trailer off the ball, but its stuck pretty good and just pulling the truck up. He suggests I stand on the bumper and "bounce". No problem. Well it worked, trailer came off the ball. Unfortunately I never chocked the tires and my trailer took off down the hill. luckily the tongue jack dug in pretty good and stopped it after about 20 feet. It didn't hit anything else and it didn't sustain any real damage. Valuable lesson learned though. Chock wheels is #1 on the "routine" now and has been for the last 15 years.

2) We bought our first motorhome about 10 months ago. Went from a 5th wheel to a Class A - Alante 31R. We were coming home from our first long trip; NJ to WI. It was 0430 and we were starting our final leg home. As I was going through the tollbooth to get on the OH Turnpike I was thinking about how much room I had in the lane, my drivers mirror had tons of clearence.... I did not check the passengers mirror clearence. BOOM. I smacked the passengers mirror on the tollbooth and ripped it off. Now, I'm not sure in this story if that was the boneheaded move, or if my next words were.... I looked at my wife and said "What?!?, you weren't watching that!". Clearly not her fault, and I got a twofer on boneheaded moves.... As a bonus we then had to drive 560 miles home with no passenger mirror, using only the rear view camera and system of car counting to maneuver.

cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #566

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfisher523 View Post
snip.... I looked at my wife and said "What?!?, you weren't watching that!". Clearly not her fault, and I got a twofer on boneheaded moves....
Obvious failure of the brain-mouth filter!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:46 PM   #567

Two words. Steep driveway.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tor-60068.html
Shaneoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:12 AM   #568

I had my first real boneheaded moment not too long ago....

Have to start by saying I am adamant about keeping the black tank as "clean" as possible to eliminate unwanted odors. When we hook up I flush it completely and drop in a new pod with about 10 gallons of water. Upon departure, we drain it repeat the process with another pod/water. Well, I was going through my normal routine of setting up camp and decided to add a step. I had an extra hose, so I ran it off the splitter to the black tank flush so I could flush it while I finished setting up everything else. I drained the tank and flushed it good. Then I closed the valve and dropped another pod in the toilet. After that, I proceed with fresh water hookup (pressure reg., filter, etc.), slide out, and so on. Making good time, I go inside to grab a drink and I hear a rattling/scurrying noise that sounds like it's coming from the bathroom. Checked fan, checked bunks, checked floor and nothing. It started sounding more like a mouse or bird was caught in the wall or roof void. Then, it hit me. I hear water pouring onto the bathroom floor. DARK BLUE WATER running out of the toilet. For some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to just use the black tank flush to put a few gallons back in the tank in lieu of the flushing the toilet. Only problem was that I walked away and completely forgot about it. I raced outside and shut the valve to the Black Tank Flush. The rattling was the pipes in the wall pressurizing. THANK GOD one of those pipes didn't bust. AFAIK, we didn't have any damage other than having to clean the bathroom floor really well. And maybe a hit to the ego...

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:31 AM   #569

Well.. this one just happened this weekend.. *sigh*

First let me say / disclaim.. not a rookie.

3 trailers, numerous camping trips of varying lengths and types.. full hookups boon docking yada yada..

Actually it was a double bone headed moment.. *sigh*

Anyway Backed into my spot ... un-hooked the power tether.. Dead! NO power. Now, one would think, including my wife BTW, that it was just a blown fuse. BUT, I had just used the battery at home, so it couldn't be a fuse .. Right? So I re-attached the power tether and started my truck. EVERYTHING worked. So my logic, said to ME that it could not be the fuse.. it HAD to be not 1 but both batteries, right? If it was a fuse it wouldn't work even with the tether. (yes I now know i can), spent the next hour unhooking batteries, attaching just one, switching them both ect.. nothing.. after much cussing and stomping, I decided we had to make the 2 hour round trip to check out BOTH batteries, (should of been clue #1, 2 and 3) all the while my wife reminding me to check the fuse. (Bone head #1 which I'll return too)

Now while I was cussing and stomping my wife proceeding to get into the trailer and eat lunch waiting for me to UNHOOK (hint about Bone Head #2) the trailer using the power from the tether, so we could get the batteries tested. NOW all this time the trailer was still hooked up as the jack would not work.. .. (I know you all are shaking your head knowing what is about to happen *sigh*), Now in my defense I was extremely distracted.. However, I proceeded to UN-HOOK the trailer, with my wife in the trailer, .. WITHOUT, you guessed it chocking the tires.. as soon as the ball cleared the receiver, the trailer SLOOOOOWLY started to slip backwards off the blocks,.. slowly at first, next thing I know the "Moderator edit " thing took off, slipping completely off the blocks dropping about 8"'s tether went flying. I stupidly reached out grabbing the jack as if I was about to stop a 27' 5K pound trailer from rolling down a slightly sloping site. hahah.. ya that did not work.

Thankfully it stopped after about 18"s of the jack stand biting into the dirt and the wheels hitting a waffle level I had previously put in place. I ran back to the door of the trailer to my wife standing their white a sheet demanding what the "Moderator edit " had just happened. As you can imagine she was not pleased, appropriately so..

Now, I make light of it , but in all honesty.. if the trailer had not stopped when it did, it was headed to an ever increase decline right into a horse corral about 5 feet away .. after that the forest, rock and trees. NOT a good thing at all.

(still Bonehead #2) Next issue as the jack had fallen off the blocks I could not raise it high enough.. (AFTER blocking the "Moderator edit " out of every tire with rocks chocks and everything I could find to chock the tires), to re-hook the trailer as it was now too low, and the jack would not raise enough. *sigh*.. so I had to call a friend who happened to live close, and ask if he had a traditional hitch, that did not have the rise, so I could re-hook.. and reset the blocks.

He did,, and came right over, HOWEVER, he proceeded to call the ranger station as he knew all of them and said he was going to coming through as I needed help..SOOO every ranger in the park had to come over to make sure we were okay.. so I had to admit to everyone what a stupid thing I did.. guess I deserved it.

Now full circle.. back to Bone head #1!-- the head waters of the whole mess.. while waiting, my wife again.. demanded that I check the fuse, while waiting for my friend ... I said no way it cant work.. she gave me one of her wife like looks,.. soo I said fine and replace the 30AMP fuse... and as you all probably already knew, the tether circuit and the battery circuit are SEPERATE, who knew! Yes it worked and the batteries were fine.. *sigh* which only added insult to injury... Yes.. I will never hear the end of it.

Moral to this story.. #1 NEVER UNHOOK A TRAILER WITH CHOCKING...NEVER EVER!

#2 never assume and carry a S____load of 30 AMP fuses.. #3 YOUR wife is ALWAYS right!

Happy Safe camping!
Old 08-07-2018, 12:23 PM   #570

Glad it ended well!

Almost had a similar (or worse) story to tell, but, thankfully, I left my TT chains attached.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #571

Back into a down hill spot at almost a 90 turn in went to unhook! Notice just in time once unhooked could not move fore word or any direction.Long story stayed hooked up! siiihh of relief!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:16 PM   #572

I did this once, rolled off the 6x6 block and stopped. Definitely made me pucker!

Mistake #2 was listening to my buddy I was camping with, and pulling my break away brake cable when unloading. Well the real mistake was not plugging it back in, and wondering why my batteries died in a day!

Live and learn, always chock now before I unhook, and put the brake cable back in after I put stabilizers down!
Shaneoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #573

Tow vehicle tailgate damage

Hubby having a bad day... first day parking the 5th wheel onto our new concrete pad on our new RV lot... so exciting!

Unfortunately, hubby forgot to insert the pin in the hitch, and drove forward onto the wheel blocks... trailer fell onto tailgate crunching it into a mangled mess.

Luckliy, insurance covered the damage - he was so embarrassed. Poor guy.

Tara
tarag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #574

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfisher523 View Post
Now, I'm not sure in this story if that was the boneheaded move, or if my next words were.... I looked at my wife and said "What?!?, you weren't watching that!". Clearly not her fault, and I got a twofer on boneheaded moves.... As a bonus we then had to drive 560 miles home with no passenger mirror, using only the rear view camera and system of car counting to maneuver.
S'alright. You wouldn't have been able to use the mirror even if it was still functional. I'm sure the frost buildup on the passenger side windows was preventing visibility.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #575

Reading all of these makes me realize my husband and I aren’t that unusual. He was new to RV camping and towing so his stress levels were high to begin with, at times I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry, he was such a nervous nelly. After a few seasons we have everything down pat and things run smoothly. Our worst moment was when he stopped on the side of the road because he thought the ball wasn’t on the hitch properly and sure enough it wasn’t. It was partly my fault because I am supposed to check everything to make sure all is well. So now the rule is I have to get a mirror and hold it under the hitch and ball to make sure they are one. �� oh the fun we have, two old geezers living it up!!
margiek53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:38 PM   #576

[QUOTE=margiek53;674739] After a few seasons we have everything down pat and things run smoothly.

LOOK OUT
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:44 PM   #577

Not long ago I forgot to latch the tongue on a UT trailer. Lost it going over railroad tracks. Always use safety chains. They really do work.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:58 PM   #578

Several years ago I was hauling a tractor for someone. I asked him what size ball? Two inche he tells me. I put the 2" in and drove over 100 miles. After getting there we were taking tractor off the trailer and the tongue goes up in the air. Always check for your self it was a 2 5/16(and always use safety chains).
Old 08-08-2018, 03:28 PM   #579

Pulled camper into campsite, Wife takes off with the kids. One of them turned on the faucet to the bathroom sink before they left. Filled the tank, then the sink, then water poured all over the floor, didn't notice till camper next to us mentioned we had alot of water draining off our camper. Dried out quickly, but darn it. If you have kids, walk around the inside of the camper before you leave. I was outside the whole time setting it up.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:15 PM   #580

I drove about or around 1,000 miles round trip dragging the popup with a 2" instead of the 2-1/2 so don't feel bad. Worse part of it was I felt nothing that would indicate I had the wrong ball on.
I noticed it when I hooked up the UT trailer the following weekend
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
Several years ago I was hauling a tractor for someone. I asked him what size ball? Two inche he tells me. I put the 2" in and drove over 100 miles. After getting there we were taking tractor off the trailer and the tongue goes up in the air. Always check for your self it was a 2 5/16(and always use safety chains).