Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyDiane View Post
I really don't think this is a boneheaded moment, but my husband does.

I used to be in charge of draining the black and grey water tanks, but after forgetting to close the grey water valve twice, he has taken the job away from me. Now that's his job. So maybe this is a good thing?
She forgot to tell you, that I discovered the second forgetfulness when I went to hook-up at the end of our last camp outing. All I can say is, I'm glad the black valve was closed. :hihi:
Old 08-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #62

Not mine, but yesterday guy dumped his black on the ground :-(

While at the Dump station, he took the cap off and out came the black. He started cursing and swearing, suggesting his wife opened the valve on him.

I sat behind him giggling, and dreading the fact I was next in line ;-((

I did have my Wife help for the first time yesterday with the Dumping chore. She has a whole new appreciation for me now :-)!
Old 08-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #63

In a hurry to leave, I did not get the hitch on the ball all the way. Took off down the street, hit the first bump in the road and BANG!! The trailer fell to the road and I dragged it about ten feet. Luckily I was not going fast and it did no damage. I now lower trailer, lockhitch, and start raising vehicle to make sure it is properly latched.
dlfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #64

Campground neighbor

New to camping, the guy next site complained about his bad tasting coffee. After some talking, we discover that his new RV was not dewinterized and he was making coffee with the RV antifreeze in his tank.
Campingcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #65
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingcouple View Post
New to camping, the guy next site complained about his bad tasting coffee. After some talking, we discover that his new RV was not dewinterized and he was making coffee with the RV antifreeze in his tank.
Yuck! That may qualify for the "nastiest RV moment" award!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #66
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfeather View Post
In a hurry to leave, I did not get the hitch on the ball all the way. Took off down the street, hit the first bump in the road and BANG!! The trailer fell to the road and I dragged it about ten feet. Luckily I was not going fast and it did no damage. I now lower trailer, lockhitch, and start raising vehicle to make sure it is properly latched.
Were your safety chains crossed (it's a state law in PA)? If they were, I don't think your tongue would have hit the ground so hard or may not have even touched the ground at all.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
Were your safety chains crossed (it's a state law in PA)? If they were, I don't think your tongue would have hit the ground so hard or may not have even touched the ground at all.
Never seen a law on safety chain hook up. We were pulling with an astro minivan which had a low hitch to begin with. I doubt crossing chains would have done any good. Made a lot of noise though. I was supprised that there was no damage.
Added Bedroom light switch and outlet https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=7582
dlfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #68

Not really a bonehead mistake, but sure makes you feel stupid. As usual, wife drives the toad up behind the motorhome so that I can hook up the tow cables, hook up the breakaway cables and insert the pins into the towbar. She also flips the switch that activates the air compressor that sets the brakes on the toad in case of a breakaway. She then gets out of the car so that I can disengage the drive shaft disconnect so that we can be underway.
Get to the campground about 130 miles away and I get out to disconnect the toad so we can back into the campsight. I open the door of the toad and realize the engine is still running in the toad.
There was no damage to the vehicle as there was no load on the engine or transmission, but sure makes you feel stupid.
Retired and enjoying new grandson
leeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #69

I can tell you my husband's most boneheaded moment.
That would be when he let the tongue jack down on our previous TT and the wheels weren't chocked. Ummmm, that 'bad boy' started rolling, but thankfully it went forward and the tongue dug into the ground.
Oopsy!
PrellFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #70
Site Team

Not toooo boneheaded, but I left the outside sensor to my wireless weather station sitting on top of the trailer tire at the CG. Did not realize it til I got home and looked at the screen inside and it had no reading for outside temp. Lightbulb went on in my head, Leeboy, you forgot to get the sensor, its now history!
Old 10-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Did not realize it til I got home and looked at the screen inside and it had no reading for outside temp. Lightbulb went on in my head, Leeboy, you forgot to get the sensor, its now history!
Don's in that same club.... that was before we started doing a final walk-a-around before pulling out
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:45 AM   #72
Site Team

I also do a final walk around, but I had the sensor sitting on top of the tire, can`t see it unless you squat down. I just plain forgot about it.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:22 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I also do a final walk around, but I had the sensor sitting on top of the tire, can`t see it unless you squat down. I just plain forgot about it.
I have a sensor as well, but I put it on top of the wheel lock so I can't miss it. I have been thinking about mounting it on the underside of the trailer so it is just always attached - but it hard to find an exterior spot that is not impacted by the sun or some other factor.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:50 PM   #74

Last month we moved about 100ft to another site. Had to put the slides in and somehow during the process my sun glasses fell off the stand. When the slides were put back out I heard the crunch. Slide 1, sun glasses 0.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #75
Site Team

Any new stories to tell? We have a bunch of new members also who may qualify!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #76

I once forgot to lower my antenna down on our first TT and while driving home first passed a biker who was pointing up to me. Did I pay attention to it, NO! Kept going, stopped for coffee and bagels, you guessed it under some more trees! Did I look up, NO! Bonehead!

Looked at my tires, hitch, windows and doors you would have thought to look up. Why didn't I....the trees were in the way!

So get back on the road go another few miles past some low lying limbs and onto the highway with more overhanging you guessed it, tree branches.

Finally passed another van and this guys arm is out the window pointing up, waving at me. Now it dawns on me....THE ANTENNA! Pull right over and look up...still there fully intact. WOW! How in the world I made it past all those tree limbs is amazing.

Lesson learned. Now I have a mandatory check list that I refer to before and after breakdown. There's one for setup too! Kids can distract the best of us. I need my lists.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Lesson learned. Now I have a mandatory check list that I refer to before and after breakdown. There's one for setup too! Kids can distract the best of us. I need my lists.
Early on, I devised a checklist that hangs by a string from the drivers side sun visor when I park the 5er. I will not retract the string and checklist until EVERYTHING has been checked, lowered, tightened, undone, stowed and/or secured. So far....so good.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecamping View Post
I have only been doing this for a little while, so not many stories...yet. I forgot to remove the Bal-X chocks from one side of the trailer before trying to move it. Couldn't figure out why it didn't budge. Then it just popped free. Fortunately I was just moving it 20 feet farther down the driveway to pack it for a trip. Surprisingly no damage to the chock or tire...
I did the exact same thing, only once though! I also forgot a loaf of bread in one of the cabinets between trips last summer. It looked and smelled pretty bad!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #79

Stopped for gas and somehow got a cement block wall (to the side of the pumps) in between my TT and TV.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #80

We have stopped at Mc Donalds in Hawthorne Nevada several times. A couple of years ago when we still had the Montana I pulled in and crossed the drainage dip because of large trucks sitting in my usual spot. About 150 miles later we stopped for a potty break and noticed the steps were swept back. I never even felt it happen when I crossed the dip. Never again. I hope.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote