Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #101

i was checking out our new (used) motorhome and I noticed a few lights not on.
Opened the cover, replaced the bulbs.
not working.
So I'll just order some new fixtures.
Couldn't find that particular style but I want them to match.
looked and looked. Hours surtching the web.
Then I'm standing in the RV looking at, "things" and I saw a switch on the wall by the door.
Wonder what that does???????
OH, it controls those lights that don't work.
Well yahh. So when you open the door you can turn on the lights.
The salesman didn't go over the RV with us, After that long drawn out adventure.
The maintainens man showed us around the RV insted.
Live and HOPEFULLY learn.
CJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #102

Situations with our then new 2005 single axle hybrid:
- First trip out, had to cross several "texas gates" to get to the campground, decided to go over very slowly. Big mistake as the camper bounced across, the contents of the cupboards including our glass dished and cups, and most of the contents of the fridge ended up on the floor. We now eat from plastic, and don't slow down as much for the texas gates.
- a few trips later, camping in the mountains on September long weekend. Night 1, outside temperature -1C and ran out of propane at 2am - with no furnace it was pretty cold by morning. Night 2 (with full propane tank), CO2 alarm squeeling at 2am, battery dead and therefore no furnace - pretty cold by morining. Since then I upgraded to 2x6 volt batteries and make sure to check the propane tanks.
- Another trip, storm warnings for the area, but when went to bed at 1:00am, the sky was clear, no wind and no indication of any storm, but moved lawn chairs, etc under the awning just in case. By 2:00am, I wake up to strong wind and pouring rain, and the sound of the awning banging and crashing. Despite my best effort to hold the awning down, the wind won and ripped the awning fabric in half. Luckily, no damage to the arms or roll, had the fabric replaced for $500.
- Unhooked camper at storage site, did not chock the wheels. Trailer rolled backwards, tongue jack fell off the wood block, and the trailerlass than an inch away from crashing through the metal fence of the storage site. Lesson learned - always chock the wheels before disconnecting.

Many more events (unfortunately), but nothing damaged other than my pride
Old 08-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #103

On our second trip we brought a cutting board but I forgot to put it in a cabinet, the first turn we made we heard a lowd boom. No damage. Got to the campground and met DH's parent there. DH and his dad worked on unhitching the truck but didn't do it in the proper order and couldn't get the truck unhitched. As we were leaving the campgound must not have closed the cabinet door all the way. First sharp turn we heard another lowd boom. All the plastic dishes and glasses were on the floor. The noise was so lowd the the in-laws following us also heard it. We are much better at checking how everything is stored now before we go.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #104

And then misspelling loud as lowd
Old 08-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #105

My bonehead moment? Driving down a long hill after stopping at the sani station. I had disconnected the wiring harness to save the battery on my truck while I cleaned the tanks.....as I was driving down the hill, my wife mentioned that there was no reading on my brake controller....and the sudden realization that I had forgotten to re-plug the trailer harness. Fortunately I was able to stop the truck and trailer. I got out expecting the harness destroyed but only a little section had friction burned off and electrical connections were still intact. I plugged in and all was good.....went down the hill again and glanced in the ashtray and saw the carabeaner for the break away cable sitting there.....pulled over again a sheepishly connected the break away cable to the truck....never going to live it down....lol
Old 08-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #106
Site Team

Add another one to my list on this thread.

For years, our TT's television was a bulky 12" CRT type w/analog tuner and was secured to the top of the entertainment cabinet using those 3M hold down straps. Once I installed the television in the TT for the season, that is where it stayed and I never had to even think about doing anything with it other than storing the remote. When the digital TV age arrived, I bought a DVD/VCR with a digital tuner to extend the life of the 12" television since there was nothing wrong with it other than being technologically outdated.

About a week before leaving on a 19 day camping trip, I purchased a new Vizio 32" LCD television to replace the 19" Dynex LCD digital in our bedroom. There was nothing wrong with the Dynex, we just wanted a bigger television as I also have a computer that uses the television as its monitor and the 19" screen was just too small for us to read the monitor when lying in bed. As a result, Our TT finally made it to the digital age when I replaced the old 12" analog with the Dynex.

However, I didn't have time to "engineer" a way to secure the Dynex to the entertainment cabinet before we left so it just sat on top of the cabinet with a myriad of wires for composite (VCR), component (DVD), sound, antenna/cable and power cord attached to it; and everytime we had to tow the TT, I had to disconnect all these wires, remove the television and store it in a safe place (under the pillows on our bed) until we reached our destination, then reassemble everything again.

I remembered to do this every time we moved except... returning home from our last camping stop. When I opened the door and went inside, there was the Dynex- hanging over the side of the entertainment cabinet. The only thing that had prevented it from hitting the floor were all the wires still attached to the back.

I have to admit I was lucky as I put the television back on top of the cabinet, turned it on and it seemed to work just fine considering the ordeal it had been through. A week after our return, we went camping for a long weekend. Yes, I remembered to remove the television from the cabinet each time we moved.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #107
Site Team

I`ll excuse your boneheaded TV moment this time, Frank.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #108
Site Team

11 pages, 106 posts, 8161 views. It seems there are plenty of boneheaded moments on our forum!
Old 08-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerncanuck View Post
My bonehead moment? Driving down a long hill after stopping at the sani station. I had disconnected the wiring harness to save the battery on my truck while I cleaned the tanks.....as I was driving down the hill, my wife mentioned that there was no reading on my brake controller....and the sudden realization that I had forgotten to re-plug the trailer harness. Fortunately I was able to stop the truck and trailer. I got out expecting the harness destroyed but only a little section had friction burned off and electrical connections were still intact. I plugged in and all was good.....went down the hill again and glanced in the ashtray and saw the carabeaner for the break away cable sitting there.....pulled over again a sheepishly connected the break away cable to the truck....never going to live it down....lol
How long were you cleaning the tanks that you thought the camper would run the truck battery down? Man, those tanks were probably cleaner when you were done than they were when they were new.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #110

I towed our Montana all the way from Kingman Az to the Hoover Dam without plugging the trailer into the truck. No signal lights, no stop lights, and no TRAILER BRAKES.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #111

Ooh! I got one. Well, going to throw my DH under the bus with one like any decent wife! Second trip out with our pop up several years ago, we had one site for 3 nights then the site across the path for 3 nights. While I was doing laundry by the camp store, he was popping down to move across the way. I come walking up the path with a basket of clothes, and I see my pop up, three corners pointing down and one straight up in the air. He cranked it down before removing the last support. Busted the pole away from the lid, impaled our ceiling and took he and his dad the rest of the afternoon to get the thing cranked down. That corner was never the same. He has yet to live that one down! Luckily, the new owners don't mind the funky repair job. And now on to bigger and better!
southpaw211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:21 AM   #112

Had my first travel trailer unhooked, plugged in, awning out, walking around the site with my water hose..couldn't find the spigot anywhere. Lo and behold Mi state parks don't have water 15 minutes later I'm driving to the dump station to fill the water tank that I had left empty.
OhRver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhRver View Post
Had my first travel trailer unhooked, plugged in, awning out, walking around the site with my water hose..couldn't find the spigot anywhere. Lo and behold Mi state parks don't have water 15 minutes later I'm driving to the dump station to fill the water tank that I had left empty.
Make sure that's potable water at the dump station. Many are not.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #114

When I hooked things up at the cg in Williams I wasn't getting any water in the trailer but I could hear water running. After trying all the faucets I went back out to check the hose and noticed that I had hooked it up to the black tank sprayer. Duuuhhh.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #115
Site Team

Any more boneheads out there?
Old 12-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #116

Anybody that has read any of my posts know that I'm a bonehead. On one of our trips this summer, I couldn't find the socket for my cordless drill that fits the stabilization jacks. Frustrated, but no big deal, I'll just use the wrench and crank them all down manually. After the trip when we returned home, I found that socket in the pocket of my jeans--the jeans that I was wearing at the CG when I was looking all over for it. On another trip I opened the black tank valve before I removed the cap and installed the sewer hose when I pulled into the dump/sanitation station. You know no matter how fast you think you are, you're never faster than the water and.....other substances that are coming out of that pipe, the very instant that cap is removed. All I can say is that nobody has been injured because of my boneheadedness, and I'm learning more and more everyday. With that being said, I'll report the next incident after the TT wakens from hibernation and we go on our next adventure. Happy Camping!!
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #117

Most boneheaded, easy.

I began to pull out of the campsite and the towing was very sluggish, we just were not moving. We got out and saw that the tongue jack had not been raised. We had dug a two foot long trench in the ground. Fortunately no damage!
Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #118
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign View Post
Most boneheaded, easy.

I began to pull out of the campsite and the towing was very sluggish, we just were not moving. We got out and saw that the tongue jack had not been raised. We had dug a two foot long trench in the ground. Fortunately no damage!

That will turn a few heads in a camp ground!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #119

The only time I didnt jump back out of the truck for a final hook-up check, is the one time that I didnt have the TT electrical cord properly run to my TV. There was too much slack and the cord was dragging... I remember having to hit the brakes because of some wildlife on the side of the road (in our local "mountains" which are glorified hills really) and thinking to myself that the trailer was really pushing... well, got to the campground and sure enough my cord had road rash and had basically cut the brake wires and trailer lights! Praise God we made it there in one piece and are able to tell the tale.

So far that was the only "major" bonehead moment. :hihi: of course we have only been campers for two seasons so far... so likely more to come!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #120

Mine was a few years back. Wife, kids and I had a great 3 day camping trip with our old TT. The day we were pulling out was very hot and things were just falling apart as I was getting everything ready to pull out. I was hooking up the trailer and I couldn't get it to lower onto the ball. I was starting to get a little stressed and a few choice words were said. My wife said "Hey honey, why is that scissor jack still down behind you" Needles to say I missed the driver side stab jack and thus the trailer just sat there on the jack and wouldn't lower down. I felt pretty stupid but it did lift my spirits because we got a good laugh out of it on the way home. Now my wife always asks if I have all the stabilizers up before I back up.
Codiac is offline   Reply With Quote