Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #81
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
1963 Volkswagen (Blinkengerber). Gas gauge was introduced in 1962 model. That was one modern piece of transportation.
A friend of mine had a 69 VW Beetle that was equipped with the optional Automatic Stick Shift. This was a three speed manual transmission with a vacuum operated clutch that disengaged whenever you put your hand on the (floor mounted) gearshift. A torque converter allowed you idle while in gear so the only time the clutch disengeged is when you shifted gears. Underneath the passenger's side of the dash, he had a Lafayette Comstat 23-A CB radio. This was a tube set monster and left little leg room when installed. He and I would ride around in it looking for (what we hoped were) hot chicks that we would meet on the CB. Sometimes, I would pull this prank on my buddy when we were stopped at a light. I'd let my left leg lean against the stick shift which, of course, would cause the vacuum clutch to disengage. When the light changed, he'd step on the gas to go, but all you'd hear is the engine reving and the car didn't move.

Ahhhh... the good old days.....

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
A friend of mine had a 69 VW Beetle that was equipped with the optional Automatic Stick Shift. This was a three speed manual transmission with a vacuum operated clutch that disengaged whenever you put your hand on the (floor mounted) gearshift. A torque converter allowed you idle while in gear so the only time the clutch disengeged is when you shifted gears. Underneath the passenger's side of the dash, he had a Lafayette Comstat 23-A CB radio. This was a tube set monster and left little leg room when installed. He and I would ride around in it looking for (what we hoped were) hot chicks that we would meet on the CB. Sometimes, I would pull this prank on my buddy when we were stopped at a light. I'd let my left leg lean against the stick shift which, of course, would cause the vacuum clutch to disengage. When the light changed, he'd step on the gas to go, but all you'd hear is the engine reving and the car didn't move.

Ahhhh... the good old days.....
A friend of mine had one of those. Compared to the manual, that thing was a slug.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS82 View Post
Those Studes are pretty neat cars. Around here, though, the folks like to put Chevy 350s in 'em.
A Chebby in a Stude? SACRILEGE!

I learned to drive on my parent's '62 (?) Ford Galaxy but their '55 Studebaker Commander wagon was the one I got to drive solo in. I actually like the Studebaker better. Daddy traded it in for a brand new '66 Ford F100 shortbed which he later put a non-cabover camper on. I learned to drive a stick on it and that was the ride I both got and preferred to drive. I didn't get my own ride until I got the '51 Plymouth at the end of sophomore year of college.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #84
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
A friend of mine had one of those. Compared to the manual, that thing was a slug.
Yeah, the VW with the Automatic Stickshift was a slug on two counts, the torque converter and the fact that it was missing a gear (the manuals, as you know, were four speeds). Still, it was fun to putt-putt around in. Sometimes, if he parked crooked, we'd straighten it out by simply lifting the thing up by the front bumper and moving it over. Times were simple then. I'd like to see someone try to do that with my Duramax.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #85

My first car was a 1949 Studebaker, can't remember what model it was, but I remember my second one with much more fondness, 1955 Studebaker Golden Hawk, man that was some car!!
kiwaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #86

Did it resemble one of these???

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ORM=IGRE#x0y78
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Hey thanks for the pictures, they bring back a lot of memories from the past. The pictures jogged my memory it was in fact a 56 Golden Hawk and not a 55. Guess time has blurred my memory but the pictures brought it right back.

On a less happy note I was on one of the last factory tours put on by Studebaker in the Hamilton Ont. plant.

cheers and thanks for sharing
kiwaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #88

It is hard to believe the performance of the Golden Hawk. The competition didn't catch up to them until the mid 60's. I was lucky enough to drive one in 1965. GTO's had nothing on them.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #89

A 1958 Chevrolet Belair 2-door with a 348 V8. Man, could that car fly!
llerberg is offline   Reply With Quote