Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #1

What's your idea of camping....???

I brought my camper home to winterize last fall....my retired neighbor came over. I told him he should get one for he and his wife. As he walked away he said "Darlenes idea of camping is a 4-Star Hotel"......true story

Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #2

My DH is not a camper. He says roughing it is a hotel with out a wet bar and only gives you one pillow.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #3

LOL.... not sure if your neighbor is a a girl(wife) or a boy(hubby) thing... I'm guessing generational or socioeconomic status?

Both of us would gladly do a 4-star hotel if someone else paid (kidding), but for us it comes down to $$ and budget, AS WELL, as the experience we are looking for (that's the biggie)! That same four star hotel (even if purchased on Priceline, award miles, etc) will pay for several days in a resort campground (or COE, etc etc), and depending how often will buy the rv over years and provide opportunities for us to mix with the 'locals' and see parts of the USA/world that you might not in a fancy hotel (talking 1980's to present so it can happen). Don't get me wrong... we definitely would do 3-5 star hotels and cruises (we do actually), but definitely wouldn't pass up on seeing places around the US (or world - we do Hostels in other countries) you might otherwise only see in a textbook or brochure LOL
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #4

Amen - BTW....my neighbors are gadget people. I have never seen retired folk with so many gadgets.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #5

One of the reasons I was so eager to buy a trailer was to not have to use hotels for work any more than I have to... I love having my own kitchen, my own bed and bathroom... oh yeah, and no bedbugs. For me staying in a hotel and eating in restaurants loses its appeal after about the first night. But that's just me.

If my Jay Flight has full service hook-ups its a 5 star accomodation as far as I'm concerned. :hihi:
Old 03-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #6

Many trailers are as nice as a 4 star hotel, and you get to sleep in your own comfy bed, great mini bar fridge (lol) without the big price tag on each item, and if you want to sleep in you are more likely to be woken by the birds then by a vacuum ... even though we can afford luxury hotels... we love our camper more..

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #7

Same here Ladywendolyn. When guest come they laugh b/c its more like a 4+ star hotel then a camper lol. But thats how we like it!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
Site Team

With 3 boys the hotel deal gets old real fast. Eating out every meal is an experience in itself, trying to pick stuff of the menu they like, and then trying to pay for it all. Seems like you spend half your time looking for a place to eat and then actually eating. I would rather camp in my own trailer any day and prepare our own meals, sleep in my own bed.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #9

Amen, Crabman - you nailed it !
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #10

We love the outdoors, bring the 3 dogs with us camping. They also love it, not being at home with a doggy sitter. We all love exploring new horizons.
The hotel problem was I cannot stay in there any longer than I have too in the morning. It was, get up, shower and go go go!!! My better half was more relaxed. With the trailer, we get up, go outside with the doggies, coffee, breakfast, relax.
I feel more at home in our own stuff and it's nice not to have to worry about wether the sheets were washed or little curlies in the bath tub :O
Our tastes were getting too expensive for our budget, were not content with Best Westerns etc...
TT's are expensive and so are TV and fuel but we paid $40.00 a day for doggy sitter, and $185++ for hotel and $80.00/day for food. It sure adds up real quick.
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
Site Team

Whenever anyone asks me why I prefer to camp in an RV rather than stay at a hotel, I always tell them:

"Because when I get into bed at night, I know who slept in it the previous night.".

Funny, but once I say that, the conversation suddenly changes to some other subject.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
Whenever anyone asks me why I prefer to camp in an RV rather than stay at a hotel, I always tell them:

"Because when I get into bed at night, I know who slept in it the previous night.".

Funny, but once I say that, the conversation suddenly changes to some other subject.
Exactly! My wife has a saying about staying in hotels vs. camping, "I'd rather sleep in my own dirt". She considers camping as "anything off the ground". We started out in tents, but after getting flooded out in Arkansas, she said that if I wanted her to camp anymore I'd have to get her "off the ground".
"God looks out for the stupid, so I keep Him pretty busy"

2005 Dodge 2500 Diesel in proper Purdue gold and black (the Coally Roller)
2013 Jayco Swift 264BH
Soulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulman View Post

Exactly! My wife has a saying about staying in hotels vs. camping, "I'd rather sleep in my own dirt". She considers camping as "anything off the ground". We started out in tents, but after getting flooded out in Arkansas, she said that if I wanted her to camp anymore I'd have to get her "off the ground".
We camped in Hershey PA last year and most of the extended weekend was a washout. At times we had a river running underneath our TT. The out-of-state tent campers (2) sites down spent the entire weekend in their fogged up car. Sunday when we woke up, Everything (tents, poles, blankets) were piled up in a heap by the drive and they were history.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #14
Site Team

My observation on tent camping is that if it rains continuously for more than 12 hours, most of the tent campers will pack up and go home. Even if the tent remains dry inside, there's nothing more miserable than that damp, cold feeling, sitting on a sleeping bag with nothing to do but look at the walls and listen to the rain pounding while you watch it pouring down outside.

One of the saddest tent camping cases I ever witnessed (besides my own which I'm going to tell you about) was a tent I saw in Assateague State Park in Maryland the day after Hurricane Charley passed through back in 1986. I was a tent camper myself back then and had arrived with my wife and two sons at Cape Henlopen State park, near Rehoboth Beach, DE, totally unaware of any dangerous weather conditions approaching. Back then, there were no reservation systems and I pulled up to the hut to inquire about site availability. The conversation went like this:

Me: "Hi. Do you have any sites available?"
Ranger: "Yeah, I've got lots available. But I don't think you're going to want to camp here."
Me: "huh? Why not?"
Ranger: "Well, Hurricane Charley's coming up the coast and we're going to evacuate the campground in about the next hour or two".

I ended up finding a motel and Charley made his visit overnight. It was more rain than anything and the biggest problem encountered was flooding which was, for the most part, just an inconvenience. Due to the uncertainties of the Henlopen's condition, I decided to head south to Assateague and see what things looked down there. While riding through the park, I came upon this campsite with this tent pitched on it that was completely surrounded by at least six inches of water. The tent looked like it's own little castle surrounded by a moat. However, I was certain the "moat" had infiltrated its interior.

When I returned to Cape Henlopen, they were accepting campers, so I got a site there. However, the remnants of Charley with high winds and off and on rain remained. The wind was so strong that it was causing the tent to lean. I tied rope from the tops of the tent poles to long sand stakes in the ground. That evening we went out to dinner as we were unable cook in the adverse weather. We returned to find that the wind had blown under the tent and pulled out all the stakes. the only thing that had kept it from completely blowing away were the lines I had attached to the tops of the poles. The whole tent was flapping in the wind like a flag that was being held horizontally rather than vertically.

While my boys sat in the cab, my wife and I threw everything in the back of the truck. We drove to Baltimore, found a motel and explored the city until it was time to go home (with the soaking wet tent still in the back of the truck). Upon returning home, we immediately started looking for a pop-up- and purchased one about a month later. On the maiden voyage, we thought we died and went to heaven compared to camping in a tent.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpm iii View Post
my observation on tent camping is that if it rains continuously for more than 12 hours, most of the tent campers will pack up and go home. Even if the tent remains dry inside, there's nothing more miserable than that damp, cold feeling, sitting on a sleeping bag with nothing to do but look at the walls and listen to the rain pounding while you watch it pouring down outside.

One of the saddest tent camping cases i ever witnessed (besides my own which i'm going to tell you about) was a tent i saw in assateague state park in maryland the day after hurricane charley passed through back in 1986. I was a tent camper myself back then and had arrived with my wife and two sons at cape henlopen state park, near rehoboth beach, de, totally unaware of any dangerous weather conditions approaching. Back then, there were no reservation systems and i pulled up to the hut to inquire about site availability. The conversation went like this:

Me: "hi. Do you have any sites available?"
ranger: "yeah, i've got lots available. But i don't think you're going to want to camp here."
me: "huh? Why not?"
ranger: "well, hurricane charley's coming up the coast and we're going to evacuate the campground in about the next hour or two".

I ended up finding a motel and charley made his visit overnight. It was more rain than anything and the biggest problem encountered was flooding which was, for the most part, just an inconvenience. Due to the uncertainties of the henlopen's condition, i decided to head south to assateague and see what things looked down there. While riding through the park, i came upon this campsite with this tent pitched on it that was completely surrounded by at least six inches of water. The tent looked like it's own little castle surrounded by a moat. However, i was certain the "moat" had infiltrated its interior.

When i returned to cape henlopen, they were accepting campers, so i got a site there. However, the remnants of charley with high winds and off and on rain remained. The wind was so strong that it was causing the tent to lean. I tied rope from the tops of the tent poles to long sand stakes in the ground. That evening we went out to dinner as we were unable cook in the adverse weather. We returned to find that the wind had blown under the tent and pulled out all the stakes. The only thing that had kept it from completely blowing away were the lines i had attached to the tops of the poles. The whole tent was flapping in the wind like a flag that was being held horizontally rather than vertically.

While my boys sat in the cab, my wife and i threw everything in the back of the truck. We drove to baltimore, found a motel and explored the city until it was time to go home (with the soaking wet tent still in the back of the truck). Upon returning home, we immediately started looking for a pop-up- and purchased one about a month later. On the maiden voyage, we thought we died and went to heaven compared to camping in a tent.
[attach=config]7891[/attach]

great story!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
images.jpg  
Old 03-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #16

loved the tent story! thanks for sharing

We used to tent camp as well, we started small, then bought a big Costco special with screened in room just for the 2 of us and 2 dogs. This tent was made for at least 8.
We sold it and went without until we could afford to get ourselves a truck and a camper.
While in Watkins Glen last year, we too witnessed some wet tent campers. We never had the heart to spend a whole weekend in a tent praying for the sun to shine but these guys did stay a couple of nights. Bless their hearts lol
Old 03-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #17

My son related this to me upon his return from a tour in Afghanistan where his section (three crew and six infantrymen) lived out of their L.A.V. out in the desert for months. Upon arrival back at the airport the three married men in the section received a cell phone call and as a result all looked pretty dejected as they boarded the bus back to base. Seems their wives had got together loaded up their three campers with dogs and kids etc. and were waiting at the base to pick the boys up and head out for a surprise week long "camping trip". Guess what camping is depends on your point of view.
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #18

hahaha! poor guys! but I am sure they had a great time.
I've done both ( not afghanistan, just exercises) and I can assure you that RVing is much more fun and comfortable.
Although, the army does have lots of generators and sure knows how to heat up a tent! We used to hook up what looks like dryer vents piping to the heaters and hook up several tents to pump heat in there. Scary when I think back.