Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #21

Because if users don’t post both good and bad experiences, the forum becomes a Jayco pep rally. A forum is just that, to post opinions which initiate discussions. As it happens, I’ve had horrible luck with my Jayco but that hasn’t tarnished my love of RV’ing. I’ve fixed my issues myself and now enjoy minute I’m “glamping” and not at work. While I’ve expressed my frustrations with build quality etc. on the forum, I’ve also tried to pass on tips or examples of fixes I’ve made to resolve those issues to other forum members as have many other posters, and I’ve picked up tips from other members in return. I think it’s more about sharing experiences, of all kinds, and knowledge.
icr21801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:54 PM   #22

We’v Been RVing for about 50 years, and after 3 strokes & 1 heart attack. We’re going to keep camping until we can’t any more.
2019 RAM 1500 Laramie 4X4 5.7 Hemi.
2019 Jayco Hummingbird 16 MRB
DennisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:58 PM   #23

I have been camping for 50 years. Most of that was in a tent. I camped in a pop up for a little over 10 years with only 2 problems with it. I took possession of my first FW in February of 2018. I have posted about a lot of problems with it. Sometimes you get a lemon no matter what you buy. Sometimes you can get it all worked out. It seems like I am. All that being said, I have "talked" about the quality coming out of Jayco factories. It has gotten worse since Thor bought them out. I love camping but the body just isn't what it used to be for tent camping. If people didn't "talk" about issues the companies wouldn't change. Enough people "talk" about issues most of the time they get the message.
When I see people posting about problems on this forum, I don't take it as complaining, I take it as "does anyone else have this problem, how did you get it fixed, did it take Jayco getting involved, what dealers are good and aren't, etc.
backpack1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:44 PM   #24

After my husband passed 2 years ago, I still wanted to camp but didn't feel I could haul a TT by myself. So, my trailer is stored at an ocean front campground and when I feel the need to go, I reserve a site and they pull it onto the site for me. I can do the rest myself but it's very lonely and difficult to meet people when alone. I hope this improves for me because I really don't want to give it up. Do you camp alone and if so, how do you meet others.
Cattaztrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattaztrophy View Post
After my husband passed 2 years ago, I still wanted to camp but didn't feel I could haul a TT by myself. So, my trailer is stored at an ocean front campground and when I feel the need to go, I reserve a site and they pull it onto the site for me. I can do the rest myself but it's very lonely and difficult to meet people when alone. I hope this improves for me because I really don't want to give it up. Do you camp alone and if so, how do you meet others.
This would be worth creating a new thread IMO.

I remember reading on this forum a few years ago a lady in a very similar situation to yours. The members rallied and helped her out with several issues and offered TONS of very positive support.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:54 PM   #26

Freedom is my answer.. I love to go where I want when I want, see what I want with no restrictions or reservations. Rain or shine. Cold or hot. My getaway vehicle is always ready for an adventure.
Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:29 PM   #27

Hello friends,

This is a nice thread, I'm enjoying it.

I'm a single teacher in northern Alberta, about 9 hours north of Edmonton, where my trailer is currently stored. I love RV'ing because for me, it's a complete escape from my life from the end of August to the end of June. When the school year is done, I totally disconnect from work, go pick up my trailer, and go wherever I feel like. My camper has no connection to work or the stresses that go with it. It's my way to get back near cities and towns, coffeeshops each day, and people I don't see during the school year due to distance.

When the camping season ends, the trailer is put away and I don't see it till June. So, my holidays are completely different from my days during the school year.

thanks!

Kevin
Campingteacher79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #28

We absolutely love it. We started our adventure after getting rear ended by a kid talking on a cell phone. Hit us at 35 mph and totaled our Ford Escape. We bought the Grand Cherokee diesel and found out it was a decent tow vehicle for a small tt. Ended up with our 23 MRB. We have loved every adventure and plan to get a truck and a fifth wheel when we finally retire for good in a few years.
Centerline WDH
Hazman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:55 PM   #29

[QUOTE=Camper_bob;796184]This would be worth creating a new thread IMO.

I remember reading on this forum a few years ago a lady in a very similar situation to yours. The members rallied and helped her out with several issues and offered TONS of very positive support.[/QUO6TE]

Camper_Bob

I would love that but, don't know where to begin. It would be great to make some connections in NC/SC
Cattaztrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:55 PM   #30

I gotta be honest with you, I have been one of those complainers. I have come to learn that owning an RV to me is a hobby. I love working on it, cleaning it, pulling it and most of all traveling around the country seeing the many incredible sights and meeting people from all over and sharing stories. So even though I have been through several dealer nightmares that will never deter me and my wife from our camping adventures. We love it.
tomdeoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:51 AM   #31

I think this forum has a fairly good mix of people....certainly there are some really pissed off customers that really go off on build quality and how crappy there rig is. I agree with some prior comments that most of these people don't seem really handy and are relying on the dealers to fix the problems. There are certainly major issues that require a dealer to do the repairs...but many problems can be handled ourselves. I have a pretty good knowledge of several RV shops, and I wouldn't allow most of those people to work on anything I own. I know there is some quality shops and technicians....but in my opinion they are few and far between. Back to the original question we were raising our kids and camping out in the Nevada Desert....Landsailing, Dirtbiking, quads, etc. Toyhauler was awesome....Now the kids are grown and we are shifting more to Flying events which are mostly held at small airports, Ranches, Big fields....There is not hotels and lodging around them.... You need to bring your own lodging. It's great to have the ability to just pack up and head out. You don't need a lot of planning....I think the best trips are spur of the moment...Everything works out.
Jab55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:16 AM   #32

While I have to agree that it appears there are a lot more complaints since Thor took over...
I for one appreciate the problems posted...if posters had not “complained” about the leaking fan in the bathroom on my model I would not have known Jayco was covering it under warranty...because it wasn’t just my issue!
I believe there is a huge learning curve, and if you buy an RV and are thinking it will not have issues...then you are going to be upset. We sold our house last year...it has even more expensive issues! Lol!
Salliemeandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:12 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salliemeandering View Post
if you buy an RV and are thinking it will not have issues...then you are going to be upset.
Many years ago (the olden days) when we bought a new car the first thing we did was put a pad and pencil in the glove compartment so we could list all the problems that would need fixing when we took it in for the first oil change. Now, I can't remember the last time I bought a new car and had ANY problems. At least going back to 1994. That car was a gem and the 4 or 5 cars since then have never gone back to the dealer. I think most will agree that auto quality has improved over the years.

Thirty years ago we bought our first RV. It was already 25 years old when we bought it. The dealer detailed it and serviced all the components to make sure everything worked right. We must have had it for 5 years until I needed to finally fix a roof leak.

We upgraded to a brand new Jayco in 2014 and it has been totally trouble-free as well. I expected no less. Otherwise, I would have thought twice about buying it.

I didn't peruse RV forums until 2014. Prior to that I didn't know about all the problems. I guess ignorance is bliss...
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:54 AM   #34

I love to camp in or near the woods. Now that I'm older the "tent thing" has just become too much of a hassle. I like to RV because of many of the reasons already stated. Can go when and where I want (providing a campsite is available), I like having a roof over my head and walls to keep the bad weather out. But I really like having my own bed, bathroom and kitchen. I don't have to worry about who's been using this before me and I know my stuff is clean and sanitary!
I also need a place where my Fur-Babies are welcomed and not an issue as we don't like to leave them behind!

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #35

At first look, I misread this post. I thought it said, "Why are you still Living?"
My first thought was so I can continue RVing!
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #36

Our first TT was 34 years old when we we got it. There were often repairs to be made as to be expected. I did most of these with my son over the years as we were preparing for our upcoming family summer vacations. With our newer TT, its mostly improvements and with a few repairs. It's now just DW and me enjoying our trips together. I wouldn't trade anything for all of the great memories we've had.
TAK14Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:42 AM   #37

Why I RV. Well first it was a tent and that failed miserably when it rained. Then we went thru two pop ups. The first was getting a little old and small. The second one had issues. We added a auto raiser and that just blew thru so many systems that we ended up spending more money after bad. A lot of electrical issues. So we went to a TT. Jayco Swift 20 foot sleeps three because the husband was done with the issues and camping. Then when I brought home that TT he said when are we camping again? Then last year I said OK lets look at bigger trailers that tow but under 3500. Found a 21 foot coachman bunk model sleeps 5 because the Jaycos were too big or they were not what we wanted. So the new one we are keeping but traded the tow vehicle last June for the grand cherokee and well, after the 3 week trip we took? I realized something. I could really get into full timing. Husband said no way. After really giving the TT a once over? I plan to travel and live out it full time once I retire. I love the convenience it has over owning your own home. Can keep it cleaner. And yes, it does bring together family. My daughter loves camping and enjoys being out of doors. The husband is more of a mole troll. PT for him. He can stay home and miss out on an adventure of a life time. And I am now beginning to hate Michigan winters as well. So once I retire? I am looking a workamping PT and FT RV. One more camping trip in October and then have to suffer thru another Michigan winter. So why do I RV? It gives me a sense of freedom and the ability to go where I want to go and sleep in my own bed.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattaztrophy View Post

There is a place on Face Book and if you google it you can find women who travel alone and do it alone. It is not that hard to tow if the tow vehicle is easy to tow the TT. If that made any sense. My husband had to be trained on how to hitch everything and it makes it impossible to talk to him on anything because he thinks he knows it all and I am the one who taught him. He wants to PT camp and travel and I want to go all in with FT TT so I told him he is all in or all out. No PT I will fly in when I feel like it. So I will be traveling alone when I retire in 5 years or less. I am looking at workamping PT somewhere in the US. I was invited to drive in Utah Escalante. I am a school bus driver fully certifiable and am very comfortable towing. So I guess you can say I too am also going to be flying solo as well. Maybe someday we can meet? Or not. Good luck with your search. BTW I had a Jayco but found it too small. When I was searching for something bunk style Jayco didn't have anything I liked but the Coachman did. So I got the 21 foot. I love it. I love this board and the people on it. So I have stayed with it even though I don't have a Jayco and could not get a Jayco that had the style I wanted. O well.
Happy Camping.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:10 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
This would be worth creating a new thread IMO.

I remember reading on this forum a few years ago a lady in a very similar situation to yours. The members rallied and helped her out with several issues and offered TONS of very positive support.

Maybe start a forum where singles can meet up. My husband is not going to travel with me. He has made it very clear he will PT but not FT. So he is going to stay home while I go off on my own. Keep me posted on this. Sounds intriguing.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:16 AM   #40
RPR

We sold our house in Southern Alabama back in April and have been on the road in our 31’ Class C since. We are really enjoying the nomad life. We shy away from big cities and big fancy campgrounds. Our son in law and daughter have a 5 acre place in North Alabama with a concrete RV pad with water and 30 amp power next to the work shop. That will be our “home” base when needed.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote