Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2018, 05:29 AM   #1
Site Team

Windows 10 April update

I loaded this yesterday and it locked my computer up. Black screen.
I’m taking it to my local laptop hire this morning.

Google windows 10 update problems before loading this goat!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:05 AM   #2

You gotta love it...

Sometimes I think a wooden stake through the screen is still the best option...

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:22 AM   #3

We performed the update a few weeks ago on several computers without a hitch.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:56 AM   #4

There are a few ways you can delay or block Windows 10 updates, although not all methods work on all versions of Windows. Personally I hate the forced updates; they have caused a lot of problems for a lot of people. And fixing the problems caused by a Windows update can cost you $$$. Too bad Microsoft won't assume responsibility for that.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:20 AM   #5

I too cringe everytime I see one coming down but what can you do hehe Sooner or later you have to let it update your computer...

My fear is always is this the real WINDOWS 10 group or something other. Once you click on it to go ahead you may seal your own fate hehe...

I think I like it better to happen when I first turn on my computer and wait for the updates to load in... If it is a bad thing then a least I didn't click on something to seal my own fate hehe...

My other fears as with most updates all of my own security things all seem to have to be reset... i.e. can't log into something without them asking for all of the other profile questions again... I never select 'REMEMBER ME' anymore but usually once you log into somewhere with profiles you get asked the usually 'who am I' questions but after that your username and login gets you through the process... All of this makes me save my profile pages and keep a copy of the questionnaire form in the BILLS folder here... I can't keep up with my own bending of the truth on the profile forms haha... I had two favorite dogs when growing up so in my old age now I can't remember if it was SPOT or DOG hehe...

I guess we all are trying to stay a step ahead of what is going to happen to us...

So far I'm good with the LATEST UPGRADES from WIN10 on my main laptop here...

Who knows what is going to happen tomorrow....

This is why carrying my own INTERNET SECURED HOTSPOT with me on my trips is so important. Never have to worry what to click on... I use my own VERIZON Secured MIFI box to get on the Internet when on travel. My NCIS GIBBS FLIP-PHONE is too old to support WIFI secured hotspots but I suspect folks are using their cell phones to get on their own secured WIFI spots...

My older MIFI setup was always sitting in one of those WILSON CRADLEs in my POPUP which was connected to an outside antenna. This allowed us to run all around the camp ground area with our laptop, tablets, etc and all of us had great secure connectivity... The downside with having your own WIFI HOTSPOT is neighbors finally figure out you are the one running it and then here they come asking if they can log-on hehe... I just recently upgraded to one of the VERIZON JETPACK MIFI6620L units and haven't been camping with it yet... Works great here in the back yard haha... We normally just like to check in with the kids, pay a few bills, and do some surfing on the internet when camping off grid...

None of the things I do however supports downstreaming data to any large degree. We still use our BATWING OTA Antenna to pull in HDTV from the local towns... I have never been anywhere I didn't at least get something to watch... Love to find a 24/7 live radar channel to keep tabs on the upcoming wind storms... My NOAH WX ALERT units also works great when camping... My SIRIUS XM Radio in my truck with NAV and great weather maps sure is handy too. My wife's cell phone does good too.... My GIBBS Motorola FLIP-PHONE not so good in this respect hehe...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:02 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Microsoft is no worst than the RV industry, they only dream about $$$$$ and don't give a damn! Seems the ones who are employed in corporations don't know what responsibility is anymore except working with their elbows.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:33 AM   #7

[QUOTE=RoyBraddy;642637]I too cringe everytime I see one coming down but what can you do hehe Sooner or later you have to let it update your computer...

you can go to LINUX and then you don't have to deal with windows....
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:15 PM   #8

I did the update just earlier this week, and it went just fine, no issues. Well, until now when I "signified" on myself.

I thought I read where they were going with "just" 2 updates per year, but it seems like I have to go thru x updates a month for some reason.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:12 PM   #9

Whats Windows, switched to Mac many years ago and never looked back.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
I too cringe everytime I see one coming down but what can you do hehe Sooner or later you have to let it update your computer...

My fear is always is this the real WINDOWS 10 group or something other. Once you click on it to go ahead you may seal your own fate hehe...

I think I like it better to happen when I first turn on my computer and wait for the updates to load in... If it is a bad thing then a least I didn't click on something to seal my own fate hehe...

My other fears as with most updates all of my own security things all seem to have to be reset... i.e. can't log into something without them asking for all of the other profile questions again... I never select 'REMEMBER ME' anymore but usually once you log into somewhere with profiles you get asked the usually 'who am I' questions but after that your username and login gets you through the process... All of this makes me save my profile pages and keep a copy of the questionnaire form in the BILLS folder here... I can't keep up with my own bending of the truth on the profile forms haha... I had two favorite dogs when growing up so in my old age now I can't remember if it was SPOT or DOG hehe...

I guess we all are trying to stay a step ahead of what is going to happen to us...

So far I'm good with the LATEST UPGRADES from WIN10 on my main laptop here...

Who knows what is going to happen tomorrow....

This is why carrying my own INTERNET SECURED HOTSPOT with me on my trips is so important. Never have to worry what to click on... I use my own VERIZON Secured MIFI box to get on the Internet when on travel. My NCIS GIBBS FLIP-PHONE is too old to support WIFI secured hotspots but I suspect folks are using their cell phones to get on their own secured WIFI spots...

My older MIFI setup was always sitting in one of those WILSON CRADLEs in my POPUP which was connected to an outside antenna. This allowed us to run all around the camp ground area with our laptop, tablets, etc and all of us had great secure connectivity... The downside with having your own WIFI HOTSPOT is neighbors finally figure out you are the one running it and then here they come asking if they can log-on hehe... I just recently upgraded to one of the VERIZON JETPACK MIFI6620L units and haven't been camping with it yet... Works great here in the back yard haha... We normally just like to check in with the kids, pay a few bills, and do some surfing on the internet when camping off grid...

None of the things I do however supports downstreaming data to any large degree. We still use our BATWING OTA Antenna to pull in HDTV from the local towns... I have never been anywhere I didn't at least get something to watch... Love to find a 24/7 live radar channel to keep tabs on the upcoming wind storms... My NOAH WX ALERT units also works great when camping... My SIRIUS XM Radio in my truck with NAV and great weather maps sure is handy too. My wife's cell phone does good too.... My GIBBS Motorola FLIP-PHONE not so good in this respect hehe...

Roy Ken
I use the SSID for my Jetpack hotspot of "Drug Surveillance Van". No one comes looking for me.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Whats Windows, switched to Mac many years ago and never looked back.
X2, one of the best decisions we made. Unfortunately still have to deal with Windows at work though
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
X2, one of the best decisions we made. Unfortunately still have to deal with Windows at work though
X3.... fortunately the limits of my dealing with Windows at work is asking the the team that supports them why their systems aren't working....
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:08 AM   #13
Site Team

Picked it up this morning. Working now - 135.00. Where do I send the bill?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I use the SSID for my Jetpack hotspot of "Drug Surveillance Van". No one comes looking for me.
Mine was "FBI Van 15" but is now "Local Police".

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Picked it up this morning. Working now - 135.00. Where do I send the bill?
How much did you pay for your copy of Windows 10?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote