Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2019, 06:36 PM   #1

Winterizing cheapskates

For some of us the camping season is over or coming to a fast close. Toward the end of the season RV'ers tend to talk to others about winterizing their units, how they do it, what they use, and for the masses that use RV antifreeze, how much.

I find it quite comical that this area is where it seems like the one up's start. It's like the old game show Name that Tune. But this is called Winterize that Trailer. It goes something like this; A small group of RV'ers are talking and someone like me says it takes 6 gallons of antifreeze to winterize my Northpoint (which it really does because I just did it today). Then a fellow RV'er comes back and says he can do his with 3 gallons. Then the other chimes in and says he can winterize in just a half gallon, or something ridiculous like that. Then you hear the saying in a game show voice, "Winterize that trailer!"

It's funny how some people become so cheap about winterizing. They have no problem spending the big dollars these things cost, yet they cheap out and buy the cheapest antifreeze they can, use as little as possible, even go to lengths of catching it in a bowl and reusing it. Today, it cost me less than $20 for a case of 6 one gallon jugs. $20 is cheap insurance compared to a broken line.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:56 PM   #2
Site Team

You're absolutely right. The bigger the camper, the more it'll take. More plumbing means more antifreeze. Our TT has a box length of 20', and I use 2 gallons, to make sure it's everywhere it needs to be, at full strength. Just what we do.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:38 PM   #3

I don’t think the volume of antifreeze need is the same, even among the same line of Jaycos. That Pinnacle with an outdoor kitchen might take an extra half gallon over mine that doesn’t have an outdoor kitchen. That Jayfeather that’s only 20’ long probably has half the PEX a 26BH does. People like to brag, but if you are like me and blow out the lines then add antifreeze until it comes out the faucet, you know is not diluted and know the minimum number of gallons it takes to winterize.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:23 AM   #4

I blow out the lines and use less than a gallon to add to the drains and toilet. I don't think that makes me a cheapskate by any means. It makes total sense, and it works.

I can throw it back at you that you are wasteful.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:33 AM   #5

Well I just bought 4 gal. First time, so we'll see. And we have a Sanicon, so I'll probably be wanting to throw a fair amount through that.