Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2015, 07:26 AM   #1

Worst start to a trip ever!

So Wednesday night, my wife and I looked at the weather, high 80s and a 10 percent chance of rain. Sounds like perfect kayaking weather, so we booked a site at the local SP.

Friday night after work I run home, hook up, throw the yaks in the back and take off.

1. As I'm checking in, a guy pulls up with a mangled thing that looks like my bike. The rack on the back of the camper broke and my $500 mountain bike got drug until it fell off. At least he was nice enough to give it back.

2. As I'm checking in I realize I forgot my wallet and phone. Then my wife proclaims she forgot her meds. Guess we're heading home after we set up (it's only 15 minutes).

3. As I'm filling up with water my hose blows apart. Not sure how that happens with almost no pressure but it did.

4. Wife twists her ankle getting out of the truck.

5. I know I said 10% chance of rain, but it thundered and POURED all night.

Oh well, the sun is out this morning, we'll hit the lake today and all will be right with the world again.
chucknbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:36 AM   #2

Ouch! Sure hoping you enjoy rest of trip. We leave Sunday for 2nd camping in new TT, first trip had couple no so wonderful experiences..

Larry J
2015 SLX 264BHW
2007 Ram 1500 5.7L, Equalizer 1000, Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Priors:
Jayco Eagle 10 ST RD
Keystone Sprinter M-380BWS
Rockwood Freedom 1640TD
Jayco SLX 154BH
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknbob View Post
snip...
Oh well, the sun is out this morning, we'll hit the lake today and all will be right with the world again.

I hope you're right, but ...
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
Site Team

There, you got all the bad stuff out of the way first! The rest of the trip should be better. Two weeks ago, some friends went camping with us with their new-to-them 34' TT. First time towing. The only right hand turn in the city got em'. The telephone pole went down the side taking out the power awning, steps, door hinge, grab handle, marker light, and poked a couple holes in the fiberglass. Then it rained. After that, the rest of the weekend was good!!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:52 AM   #5

Well it can only improve from that start.

We had a long and trying day of travel yesterday, a bit like the movie "Planes, Trains & Automobiles". A sick kid and a last minute trip to urgent care started it off, delayed first flight due a bird strike on arrival, caused missed connecting flight, missed Ferry to hotel/wedding site, still little early for check-in room wasn't ready so we had to change and clean up for wedding in the lobby bathroom -- but we made it to a beautiful wedding for a very close friend.

Tell us a little more about the bike situation. What kind of rack & how was it attached?
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #6

It's the el cheapo rack from harbor freight that goes into a 2" hitch. It has two rubber pieces the bike sits on and Velcro straps that hold the bike on. Both rubber pieces broke which let the Velcro come free and the bike fell off.

Good news is the bike is (mostly) ok. I just got done with an hour long ride along the trails. The pedals, seat, and handlebar grips need replaced, but that's ok,
chucknbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:36 PM   #7

At least the bike is ok
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:54 AM   #8

How's the wifes ankle?

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:25 AM   #9

Look at it this way, now you can upgrade the componants of the bike! Hope your wife is OK.

Our best trip started it's first 3 days as the worst I ever had on a vacation. In '05 we took a 15 day trip out west. My MIL passed the week before. It was expected and she told us no matter happened she didn't want us to cancel. Because of the funeral we left 12 hours later than planned and drove all night the first night. I got dehydrated, lacked sleep, both of us still dealing with the stress from the funeral and death.

A new (not rebuilt) alternator that had been replaced 4 months prior died in southern Utah on the Sunday of Memorial day weekend. No phone service, very few cars on the road. We actually found a shop open in Richfield, but it cost me $350. That stretch was one of the most stressful 4 hour periods I've ever had. Then we hit head on high winds going through the pass near Brice Canyon NP. Floored it and was only 50. We struggled to get to Vegas and I had enough.

I told my wife we turn around and go home tomorrow. Since we had tickets for a show on Monday night we stayed and had so much fun we continued the trip. Nearly 6k miles and 2 weeks later we got home form a very memorable trip.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote