Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #91

Just pick up a dutch oven cookbook (there are loads of them out there). Even the one you get free when you buy the lodge dutch oven is pretty good. Follow the recipes or adjust depending on your taste or diet. We cut down on salt due to my heart surgery. Follow the specs for the number of charcoal briquettes on top and bottom...and you won't fail. We've enjoyed just about everything we've made. We tend to make meals more often than desserts. Cast Iron is what I would recommend. I'd only consider aluminum if you were backpacking, and then I'd forego the dutch over completely anyway.

We use our Weber Smokey Joe bottom to hold our 10" Lodge Dutch Oven. We always like to have a fire in the firepit, so we put the Dutch Oven in the bottom of the Smokey Joe. It fits perfect and keeps the coals off the ground and safe (since we are using the firepit for fire) and it makes clean-up a snap.

dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #92

We use a cast iron dutch oven for soups, cooking hamburgers so they have that nice crust, also as a deep fryer (it is the only thing that actually keeps the heat where it should be), and as a wok for stir frying (once again, it keeps the heat where it needs to be).

All in all about the most versatile cooking instrument we have (a great multi-tasker).

with tow package
seanbhalliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #93

We have used ours for all kinds of cooking. I like to deep fat fry chicken and potatoe wedges in it. It is fast and you can cook for alot of people without a lot of work. I have a tripod that I use over the open fire and that way you can control the heat. I agree that it is the best thing that I carry. Happy Cooking!
Cruzinfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzinfools View Post
We have used ours for all kinds of cooking. I like to deep fat fry chicken and potatoe wedges in it. It is fast and you can cook for alot of people without a lot of work. I have a tripod that I use over the open fire and that way you can control the heat. I agree that it is the best thing that I carry. Happy Cooking!
What kind of tripod do you use? We bought one this year that was junk.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #95

http://camp-cook.com/forum/viewforum...d47d615fe14764
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #96

jdorant
I will get some specs on this and let you know as I had one that had a chain and cheap legs that did not last. I build this one myself and have had it for 10 years. It has cooked a bunch. Will see if I can get some pictures.
Cruzinfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #97

I've been cookin' with DO for quite awhile now and love it. Here are a few shots of some of our meals:

Lasagna:

Pizza (on the lid of an upside down DO)

Hot Wings:

Taco Casserole:

I've done lots and lots of meals. It has become a custom for me to fire up the DO everytime we go out. Meals just seem to taste better out of a DO or over an open fire.
2002 Chevy Silverado
Beerlifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #98

Call me a geek, but I received a book on the history of DO cooking and I've enjoyed reading it! They classify the DO with tripods and flat lids as "Camp Ovens" and the others as "Dutch Ovens." Who knew? Anyway, I have the DO variety and have always cooked while it dangles over the fire. It does a superb job, but I would also love to own the Camp Oven version, as well. The books author showed how he uses multiple ovens at a time and stacks them on each other. He also uses inserted cake pans to keep the cleanup down. Anyway, we are going to Gatlinburg in April and hoping that the Lodge Outlet Store offers cheaper prices than in our retail camp stores.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywendolyn View Post
I have even used my dutch oven while on the road.. cooking off of the 12 volt converter... I usually make pulled pork this way..
I realize this is from last year but I'm not understanding it. You have an electric dutch oven? Or are you referring to a Crock Pot stoneware slow cooker?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #100

How much charcoal

Now I have heard and read a bunch of formulas for charcoal and Dutch Oven cooking. I am a math teacher and I'm still not going to try some of these equations. I use a method that takes into account the size of the oven and the size of the briquet. It's called the ring method and I learned it from the LSDOS. First make a ring at the outside edge of your DO, then put a second ring of charcoal around the top of the lid. This should give you aproximately 300 degrees. Add a second ring on the top next to the first spacing it out every other charcoal (1-1/2 rings) and you have about 350. Fill in the gaps in that second ring (2 rings) and you got about 400 degrees. Never put more than one ring on bottom unless you are boiling or frying.

TXBlackpot

txblackpot is offline   Reply With Quote