Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2021, 06:29 PM   #81
Site Team

You all talked me in to buying one. I got the little 17" table top unit.
Attached Thumbnails
20210515_195527.jpg  
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:22 AM   #82

Congrats & enjoy. You will soon be wondering why you didn't get one earlier!

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:00 AM   #83

Took the BS with us last week camping. The valves behind the knobs failed. After inspecting it, it seems the o-rings in the valves deteriorated and can only be bought with new valves. When the o-rings go bad, the regulator shuts fuel off to the valves and the flame is a half inch high..if that. I've also came to realize that the connectors are not a normal size. The connector on the grille for connecting the regulator as well as the female end on the regulator are a special size. There are some manufacturers out there that are producing compatible parts for the Blackstone.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:25 AM   #84

Long story short, last week of june we were on a week long trip with some friends. DW forgot to take out the breakfast sausage from the freezer. Our friends just bought a 29.5 and it came with a Blackstone. He grabbed those frozen sausages and threw them on that griddle. All I can say is that thing is no joke! I had to have one. I got on line and ordered one off amazon and had it shipped to one of our next destinations. A few days later we arrive and the griddle was supposed to be there. Nope. We stayed for 4 days and it never showed. Thanks again USPS. Amazon was great to deal with and I got my money back no problem. Last day of our stay i ordered one from Walmart, this way I know I'll have one for our next trip.
Back home, I'm telling my work buddy about our trip and he tells me has is getting ready to sell one that he used once. He bought one that came with a stand instead and didnt need 2. I picked it up for $50. The walmart one came so I took it back and got a full refund.
One thing I realized is the jayco installed ones come with a wind screen. Blackstone has no idea of what we were talking about when I tried to get one. Apparently its a Jayco exclusive item. So, I decided to have one made, but made mine out of stainless instead. Still trying to get a stand but no luck with those, yet.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:47 AM   #85

Heres a pew pics.
I had the fab shop bend it and tig it, I drilled the holes for the griddle.posts to go thru and cut the back area for the grease tray. I also decided to put a radius on the front sides instead of having the sharp top corners.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210718_130541.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	74021

Name:	20210718_133222.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	74022

Name:	20210718_152317.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	74023
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:18 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Heres a pew pics.
I had the fab shop bend it and tig it, I drilled the holes for the griddle.posts to go thru and cut the back area for the grease tray. I also decided to put a radius on the front sides instead of having the sharp top corners.
Attachment 74021

Attachment 74022

Attachment 74023
Nice! I noticed the this windscreen the other day watching a haylett rv video where he introduced the small Jayco hummingbird or something like that. I need one a windscreen too…. What was the cost of yours? Is who ever made it willing to produce and ship?

By the way the blackstone or equivalent griddles are awesome… I modded my bumper mount for my grill that came with the trailer to accept my blackstone…. Look at my albums for pics. Makes it very nice to setup and cook from.
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:44 AM   #87

It's funny you should mention about getting one. The thought crossed my mind of producing these. The fab shop said they would make me a deal on producing a bunch of these if I wanted.
The jayco ones are made out of steel and I believe are ceramic coated because they get HOT. I had mine made out of stainless, so when it gets hot itll start to turn a golden brown depending on how hot for how long. I've heat cycled mine a few times and it's never turned color, so...
It cost me $100 to have the fab shop bend it all up and tig it together. I drilled the holes, cut the back and rounded the front sides. The material was $30 and the labor was $60. Then add the Gov't cut.
I can have them fab one up for you and ship it to ya. PM me of you're interested. I can probably get one to you by the end of the week.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:36 PM   #88

I did something similar for my Blackstone Tailgater last year. I was tired of wind issues making the griddle have large cold spots.

I made mine of aluminum sheets for weight, and because I can bend that myself. The bottom is riveted on, but the side and back blocks are removable for cleaning and packing in the bag.
Attached Thumbnails
Blackstone TailGater wind blocks.jpg  
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:47 PM   #89

Very nice windscreen, I wish I had the tools and experience to make something like that. What my friends and I have done instead is gone to the dollar store and bought some cheap griddle scrapers and hung them from the sides of the griddle. Does a good job of blocking the wind and doubles as a griddle scrapper for cleaning!

They are like this, but you can usually get them for $1. https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Stainl...43543904&psc=1
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:34 PM   #90

I got the 17 inches for my Jayco eagle 28.5 and it sets in my outside kitchen perfectly. I love it so much I bought a 36 inch for the house.
Mcburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:41 PM   #91

After cooking every meal on my Blackstone the past year I've drifted back to using my grill on meat. On this past trip I even pulled out my old two burner Coleman stove for morning coffee.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:46 PM   #92

I carry two of those old white gas units. Breakfast isn't the same without using those! Four separate, adjustable burners...one for eggs, one for meat, one for hashbrowns and one for coffee. And nothing gets burnt.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:17 PM   #93

Breakfast is really where Blackstone shines.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:32 PM   #94

Blackstone all meals

I beg to differ on breakfast is really where Blackstone is at. I will have to admit it takes some getting used too, in cooking meats but once you have mastered it, you will find that the Blackstone will cook mouth-watering juicy meats and poultry. My favorite is Smash Burgers with squash and zucchini. But I also like the whole chicken breast and Filet Mignon raped in bacon. Get on Youtube and watch the 1000's videos on Blackstone cooking.
Mcburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:45 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcburt View Post
I beg to differ on breakfast is really where Blackstone is at. I will have to admit it takes some getting used too, in cooking meats but once you have mastered it, you will find that the Blackstone will cook mouth-watering juicy meats and poultry. My favorite is Smash Burgers with squash and zucchini. But I also like the whole chicken breast and Filet Mignon raped in bacon. Get on Youtube and watch the 1000's videos on Blackstone cooking.

I have and I've made many of the recipes. Hungry Hussy, the official Blackstone channels, I've watched them all. I love to sous vide steaks and finish them on the Blackstone. It's my #1 method for backstrap.

But name another method that you can cook an entire breakfast at once? Bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, pancakes, sausage. Grease drips right into the cup. If I could only use it for one meal, it would be breakfast.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:07 PM   #96

I'm sorry folks but a steak that is not grilled is not a steak. It is a chunk of meat cooked in its own fat.

The Blackstone, and I have a 22 inch, is not a grill or a smoker and cannot in anyway shape or form grill or smoke meats, fish, cheese or anything else for that matter.

The Blackstone is a Griddle. I agree the Blackstone is great for breakfast. It is also good for burgers if you like fried burgers because they are not grilled.

I also like to use the Blackstone for veggies such as squash, zucchini, peppers, sautéed onions, etc but when it comes to corn on the cob, pineapple, peaches or shish kabob veggies are best done on the Weber or Traeger.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:58 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I'm sorry folks but a steak that is not grilled is not a steak. It is a chunk of meat cooked in its own fat.

Yeah, yeah, there a lots of people who try to place rules on food, out there. There are many who will tell you the perfect steak is seared, in real cast iron. The are no beans in chili. Real BBQ comes from xxxxxxxx. Food is whatever you have been blessed with eating.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:29 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Yeah, yeah, there a lots of people who try to place rules on food, out there. There are many who will tell you the perfect steak is seared, in real cast iron. The are no beans in chili. Real BBQ comes from xxxxxxxx. Food is whatever you have been blessed with eating.
Agree. I do prefer a steak in a Weber Q over my Blackstone, but for the sake of weight, space and versatility, the Blackstone wins. Also a steak “fried” on a Blackstone still tastes pretty good… we cook every meal on the Blackstone while camping, and use a Blackstone at home more than the Weber Q now as well. It’s may not be “grilling” but, it’s still good!
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:29 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
So true*.

I like variety so cooking anything the same way every time just isn’t appealing. I just had this conversation with my uncle. Whenever I’m back in Chicago I need a deep dish and thin crust pizza. He keeps saying deep dish isn’t pizza. I said ok, that steak last night wasn’t pizza either but you liked it. Call it something else if the word pizza is sacred to you. Lol

I almost always will use my sous vide on steaks before setting my BS to kill and searing them for the Maillard reaction. They aren’t in the griddle more than a minute or two.

*real bbq doesn’t require sauce, is cooked over real wood, and is perfected in Texas.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:20 AM   #100
Site Team

I ended up buying one of the Blackstone branded stands to keep my 17" on the porch between camping trips. I am really enjoying this purchase.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote